Novice wallpaper design project

lemongrabfan3

illest.png

Hello! I'm pretty much a complete beginner when it comes to wallpaper design and graphic design as a whole, but i would love some critiquing/opinions of this lil wallpaper piece.

good or bad, anything you think may be helpful for me.

lets start a convo in the comments about it! looking to learn and improve.

Maybe you could walk us through your process on this? I'd like to know what your "angle" is and what your goals are with this. Like what should it look like, what should it "say"?

Maybe you could walk us through your process on this? I'd like to know what your "angle" is and what your goals are with this. Like what should it look like, what should it "say"?

Sure! i've found myself to be more drawn towards a minimalist style, as you can probably tell through the piece. I wanted to try out the effect of zooming in on the checkered pattern in the main focal circle, and i wanted to include the repeating text of the word 'illest' (this is just a word i chose for no particular reason. thought it was neat). with the dotted line circles and the solid line circles, i thought that would be cool because of the variation. although, i was told its a bit busy for a wallpaper. so i was thinking about removing some circles, and changing some of them to a color that blends more with the background to gain a better sense of flow, i guess. im not great with terminology yet, and im not even sure most of what im saying is making sense since im very new to this whole thing. let me know if you need anymore info haha.

in what it should be saying, i didnt have a crazy motive with that. i kind of just wanted it to be a modern, minimalist wallpaper. kinda chill feeling. ya know.

hope this helps

Sure! i've found myself to be more drawn towards a minimalist style, as you can probably tell through the piece. I wanted to try out the effect of zooming in on the checkered pattern in the main focal circle, and i wanted to include the repeating text of the word 'illest' (this is just a word i chose for no particular reason. thought it was neat). with the dotted line circles and the solid line circles, i thought that would be cool because of the variation. although, i was told its a bit busy for a wallpaper. so i was thinking about removing some circles, and changing some of them to a color that blends more with the background to gain a better sense of flow, i guess. im not great with terminology yet, and im not even sure most of what im saying is making sense since im very new to this whole thing. let me know if you need anymore info haha.

in what it should be saying, i didnt have a crazy motive with that. i kind of just wanted it to be a modern, minimalist wallpaper. kinda chill feeling. ya know.

hope this helps
To be honest, it's not something I'd consider as using for a background but then backgrounds are usually picked by the individual and is something they like. Basically I don't like it so I wouldn't use it.

The repeating word doesn't make sense and while you say it's meant to be minimalist in concept it's actually very busy and would not be deemed as minimalist by most people. You'll see lots of examples of minimalist wallpapers with a quick google for minimalist wallpapers.

Not really sure why you choose the word "Illest" the actualy definition of it being the person who is the sickest. And that wouldn't translate worldwide as it's slang for someone who is "coolest".

Personally, I don't like the design at all. But that's the difference between art and design. Design conveys a message that everyone understands, and art conveys an emotional response and doesn't necessarily carry a message that means the same for everyone.

View attachment 6538

Hello! I'm pretty much a complete beginner when it comes to wallpaper design and graphic design as a whole, but i would love some critiquing/opinions of this lil wallpaper piece.

good or bad, anything you think may be helpful for me.

lets start a convo in the comments about it! looking to learn and improve.

For a complete beginner, not bad.
1: Good use of space with the circles, I like the spacing and sizes of them.
2: My eye is drawn to the center-ish circle as it's the only circle that doesn't overlap so good job with the focal point.

From this point all I can say is keep learning and experimenting. Draw inspiration from designers out there and follow tutorials. Emulate what you see from some amazing work online and get creative.
Practice makes perfect.

Back