Not being paid for my work (Sort - of)

Quackers

Hey!

I'm a freelancing Graphic Designer and I'm working on a pretty big project with an author and his publisher. I'm in charge of designing a large series of full books which is great. We've finished the design for one of the books and I'm being paid for that by the publisher. Firstly, I was never informed of when I would recieve payment, I assumed I would be paid once the book was complete. Instead i'm being paid at the same time as the usual employees which is the same date every month, that is something else since I have now been waiting quite a while for payment with bills that I can't pay.

I have designed 3 book covers for a 'Show' in which the publisher sells the idea of the books to companies. When I mentioned invoicing for the covers I was told that I would only be paid once each book is fully completed. I suspect they are planning to complete these books but it basically means I've been working for nothing, to be paid in the future which date I can't even be made aware of?

Side note: I know the publisher - he lives on my street which is why I didnt charge a deposit, he's in charge of a fairly big company and I trust he will pay (Eventually) I also wrote up a contract at the beggining which covered how much I would be charging for each book which he agreed with.

Its such a good oppertunity for me that I dont want to make too much of a fuss but I'm not made of money, I need to pay my bills and I feel like I should be...

Thoughts?

I face this issue a lot with studios who have set deadlines for payment runs, or when you have to wait for someone else to be paid before they can pay you. Just be honest and ask if they can pay you for the work completed as a milestone payment so you don't starve. Ideally you should have agreed terms beforehand and taken a deposit to stop exactly this situation from happening.

I know you don't want to rock the boat but continuing to work for them without payment is not a good idea, especially if you're still waiting on payment. I'd definitely look to discuss milestone payments with the client/publisher because you have no real idea of how long the project can drag on for. Also get definite clarification on what exactly "paid once each book is fully completed" means. Does that mean when the design is completed? When it's gone to print? When it's back from print? What if you roll over into another month, does that mean you have to wait until the following month for that payment?

If you don't like those terms discuss them and ask to negotiate. Also demand a purchase order number when you invoice them. Regardless of whether you know somebody well you should still go into each project as a business with a business-way of doing things to protect yourself. Cashflow is the most important thing for any business and the reason many small businesses struggle.

Last edited:
Thoughts: Learn lessons. No contract? No t&c? Sounds like you were excited about the project and dived in.

Firstly, I was never informed of when I would recieve payment

Why did you not negotiate and agree.

I've been working for nothing, to be paid in the future which date I can't even be made aware of?

Again, learn a (hopefully not expensive) lesson.

I also wrote up a contract at the beggining which covered how much I would be charging for each book which he agreed with.

It doesn't sound like the contract was comprehensive.

Write, rewrite and rewrite again you terms and conditions. Determine payment milestones. Ensure the contract is legal.

You can be very busy working on projects which will be paid on completion, at a time determined by the client, probably, etc.

If they said I would get paid like their employees I'd just remind them I am not their employee along with politely reminding them that isn't how invoicing from a company works, note I do give up to 30 days to pay my invoices and take partial payment up front before even starting work.

It's simply not a case of the client pays when they want to, they pay on or before the due date on the invoice as per the contractual agreement or incur late fees and/or escalation to courts if required (obviously try to avoid the last bit). They would expect payment from their clients on a set date but are more than happy to try and string along a small company because you are a small company basically.

Back