Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Mac is better than PC - But PC users be warned!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by CSparkes, Dec 1, 2009.

1. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

2. Ah a nice early Xmas present from MS.
  3. xxmissbirdyxx

xxmissbirdyxx Senior Member

stupid windoze....
  4. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Told you so.....Levi over to you mate.
  5. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Not saying there isn't an issue but I take these 'reports' from security companies with a pinch of salt, I have not had an issue and I've used all but one of the 'affected os's' and I'm up to date with my patches etc.

I've never heard of the security company before but considering most lesser ones are now basically on their way out of business due to security essentials from ms I suspect we will see plenty more of this type of 'announcement'.

Typo, every os can have an issue, remember the guest account deleting data, it isn't the issue it's how quickly it's resolved once it's highlighted.

edit: read a bit more of the bbc post.
    Basically security expert from little known security company has a fix that may or may not work, well I can offer that level of guarantee too, although it's more likely to work if the issue appears after running anti-malware software.
    Sounds like someone has screwed up and deleted the wrong file after the scan to me, probably the one we patch to get fancy designer desktops.

Add to this that a reinstall fixes the problem sounds like a file is being wrongly detected and/or deleted not that it's being screwed up by a patch.
  6. Thewholehogg

as user ever.
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

not true! haha

not one computer was bought in with this issue to any apple stores in the uk!

(note: i didnt check anywhre else, just the uk)
  8. Levi

you can't blame windows/ms if the issue is being caused by someone elses crap software.

tim, it was a recognised issue by apple so it was definitely there. The advice was fairly simple (and common sense for normal people) in that you just disabled guest account until the patch eventually came out, but realistically something like that shouldn't have been there in the first place, even ms manage to get the 'guest' account working without affecting other users and they cover more hardware options.
  9. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

10. tim

tim Senior Member

im sure the google search was very very very quick, all of them are quick.

and google says nothing, especially engadget (a rumour site by nature)

also im not sure how saying "as a mac user" helps, being as you didnt have the problem so it makes no difference...

im just sayin how it is at the place where people bring their machines!

moving on... i was watching soldier knows bests' ustream on sunday and he logged onto win7 on his 27" imac and up came the blue screen! was quite funny but he cant even use osx now. :p

(to levi's posts):

i acutally agree with you all the way, if software caused it then it isnt window's fault, i just like the part of taking the piss out of micro****e :p
  11. Levi

aren't the drivers required for windows to run on a mac supplied by apple. Apple can't write decent software for windows so thats the issue there.
    Windows 7 isn't even officially supported last time I checked
  12. tim

tim Senior Member

it was loaded up in WMWare Fusion not bootcamp
  13. Levi

well thats his fault then, he clearly doesn't know how to run a vm although it could still be down to drivers if he was running the vm from the bootcamp installation.

if it happens when apple fully supports windows 7 then there's some issues with drivers (apple's) or the bloke doesn't know how to do a vm.
  14. tim

tim Senior Member

this is where i lose all respect for you levi, you have a go at me for being 100% mac-focussed yet you never ever let micro$hites operating system get critiqued, it's ALWAYS the user's fault.

if this guest login osx bug is real, then with your logic it's the user's fault isnt it.
  15. Levi

apple have already said that bootcamp does not currently support windows 7 and even then its only a limited number of products - link. Bootcamp is required to get windows running on mac hardware (without a vm) due to apple needing to do the partition and then supply the required drivers.

If bootcamp is running windows 7 then the drivers are the equivalent of beta drivers and as such can cause issues - not sure why it's taking apple so long considering the base code is fundamentally the same as vista. If the vm is running from the bootcamp install then the drivers being utilised are the ones on the bootcamp install, which again would be an unsupported os at present via that means.

You can with varying success get windows 7 working by using vista drivers but this is not a Apple supported way of doing things, blimey it can lead to issues if you do that on a purely windows machine if you don't know what you are doing.

Now if it's a vmware released image of windows 7 then these are fully tested (I've used several before on windows) and they are in my experience flawless so it is likely that the person in question is using the bootcamp approach.

Windows requires drivers to be supplied by the hardware manufacturer in many cases, it's part of being an open os, in the case of mac's, Apple has to supply the drivers to make thing's work correctly in windows, if these aren't available then how is something supposed to run without an issue.

the guest login is a flaw in the code of the os, seeing that the login is a core feature, a blue screen is usually down to shoddy drivers or programs, it's very rare that it's down to the os itself, hell I haven't even had a blue screen with windows vista x64.
  16. tim

tim Senior Member

write all the technical **** you want levi, im not reading it, all im saying is he installed on vmware and bootcamp, he logged in on vmware and it failed. that is not the users ****ing fault.
  17. blueocto

blueocto Senior Member

At the end of the day, whether you use Microsoft, Apple or Linux OS's, all of them get issues; therefore all require updates/hotfixes/patches and upgrades - else they'd all be perfect.
    Maybe Microsoft appear to get more bad publicity, because there is more people whom have it? Who knows...
  18. Greg

Greg Active Member

True, they will always be evolving as the 'average' user needs change, and as trends and styles come and go, not only do they evolve and update for the obvious bottom line profits of the companies involved, but due to the fact any system being used will be subject to hackers trying to crack it.
  19. Thewholehogg

Did you ever read Mr. Logic in Viz?...Levi that's you that is.

Calm down Tim....take a trip to the post office. Ahem, goodies, ahem.....
  20. tim

tim Senior Member

lol it's nearly 11pm.