Newly redesigned and optimised website not ranking well in Google

Hello,

I have a newly redesigned and optimised WordPress based website that has been live since the start of the year. It has been redesigned with SEO in mind, by including lots of keyword rich pages and blog etc.

The old website was a bit naff but performed much better in Google search. The intention of the new website was to improve my average listing of page 3/4 for the most relevant keyword search, however, it has now gone down to page 10.

I welcome any suggestions to improve my site's search engine listing. I now regularly update blog with useful content and use social media and bookmarking sites to drive more traffic to the website...

Thanks,
Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm assuming the new site is on the same domain as the previous site? Have your URLs changed, and have the new URLs been indexed, or are you just focusing on the homepage/root domain for the moment?

When did you make the switch over? and have your page titles/H1's changed with the new site?
Feel free to PM me if you don't want the answers to be public knowledge, and I may be able to advise/help...

Thanks,
Greg

What about links from other sites? If your old site had lots of links to it from other sites this could help whereas if your new one has a new domain name/address it might not be as well publicised? Just a thought. I've just been reading a good post on the Nettuts website about how to optimise for SEO but I'm not sure whether I can post the link here or not

i would personally say from experience that this is probably due to a) the way the new site is coded, especially if its more elaborate eg inclusion of javascript etc, and/or b) because of actual content on the site. If what i've learned is right, Google will probably shift your site about regardless while it's looking at your new content, but overall, the search bots like a simpler code to look thru. if you have the old site backed up someplace and the new sites link too maybe we could compare them :) i am a bit rubbish at a lot of web design techniques.. but i am not too bad at seo.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I've had some help on this now, thanks Greg! I've overlooked a lot of things on the home page in favour of having a minimal graphic led page.

As soon as I get a chance, I will be adding much more descriptive keyword text, aligning heading and title tags, and including a blog feed.

Watch this space.

Thanks,
Phil

Your homepage does seem to be very graphic heavy. The bit near the bottom of the page about "clear and distinctive solutions for graphic design and web design....." in my opinion could have been done in text rather than an image. They are valuable keywords that the search engines would pick up on. It'll be good to see the results when you change a few things

There may be certain reason for this
1 URL indexing
2 keyword Analysis
3 Title and Meta tag for the new website

There is no need to worry , New websites generally take time to appear in search results. Because it requires time to cache all pages . Google has previous cache pages, now it is caching new pages. So you have to wait for it to appear in the top ranking.

If your on wordpress you should have a few plugins 'all in one seo', 'simple google sitemap' and web ninja do a tags one for your post tags that I believe is very good, also if you have pretty permalinks on thats better. Try to integrate a breadcrumb nav for spiders to get back and also try to get a sitemap in a footer. If you google for a person called 'joust' I believe, he is very good with seo for wordpress and has released a number of very good plugins for seo.

Good luck hope I'm not too late!

90% of the process is off-site optimization. I'd work on getting good public relations going and writing quality articles that link back to your site.

arrrrggghhhhh dekkerfraser - check the dates before replying, seriously this and many others you've replied to are dead

Levi said:
arrrrggghhhhh dekkerfraser - check the dates before replying, seriously this and many others you've replied to are dead

But his info is relevant, and the thread is still relevant. I would have missed it otherwise. I found it all very helpful. It's not something I would have searched for, but like a news paper it came to me, and I found it interesting.

I don't get it when people complain about necro posting, if it's not that, they will complain about not searching before posting a new topic... Forum politics never made sense to me.

JamesBrentwood said:
But his info is relevant, and the thread is still relevant. I would have missed it otherwise. I found it all very helpful. It's not something I would have searched for, but like a news paper it came to me, and I found it interesting.

I don't get it when people complain about necro posting, if it's not that, they will complain about not searching before posting a new topic... Forum politics never made sense to me.
If a topic has not been replied in for 5 months it's pretty much a given that either the op has given up or the issue has been solved....

If anyone else, ie a new member, has the issue they'll likely ignore the search option and just start a new thread...

these forum newbies who just don't get forum politics hey :p

Levi said:
If a topic has not been replied in for 5 months it's pretty much a given that either the op has given up or the issue has been solved....

If anyone else, ie a new member, has the issue they'll likely ignore the search option and just start a new thread...

these forum newbies who just don't get forum politics hey :p
In some cases the topic is so old, the information is out dated, and links are broken. If a new topic was started people would complain, even if the other one was old.
IMO, no harm in updating a topic for people who search. Making it relevant again.
He's done this before, and it was useful.

Actually James his info is pretty old why do you think over 1/3 of websites where so negativly impacted with the introduction of Panda last year?

Yeah shock horror links and crap content. Links pretty much went by by with Panda and so did most of the websites that their SEO was focused primarily on getting links. Hence why so many websites went down the tube as some many SEO companies build links and then go aww job done as they use automated programs to spam forums and blogs and waste far too much time contacting other websites for a couple of positions.

I made content changes based on a user, took 4 weeks with one of our clients and I got over 285 new Page 1 and 2's alone with 0, thats none, narda, no link building, just from content changes on 1 page. On average its normally around 30 in Google alone which normally takes me about 40 minuites worth of work. The site I maintain last year traffic spiked by 1/3 more visitors then the year previous, not one month did we have any drastic drop in traffic in comparsion to the 1000's if not millions of websites that did, not even including the many others that went down the tube entirely. Again I haven't focused on link building in well over a year if not more.

Hell 1 of our sites that we maintain has over 2000 page 1's main key terms, brand name products each boot, each colour of boot etc.. etc... how much link building do you think we have done for that at all since it went live, as we built the site?
Yep thats right, none not a single one, because its outdated garbage that people spout when they think they know it all and normally followed closely behind with o and it also to have this much keyword density and stick the keywords in the keyword tag as well. :cry:

So this:
90% of the process is off-site optimization
Is pure outdated rubbish especially since Panda. What he meant to clearly say is 90% of the process is on-site optimization these days.

So as Levi rightly says a 5month old post based on SEO is out of date, granted this post may now bring it back into date but thats beside the point. :lol:

This is one of the down sides of forums set up the way this one is. There is no form of organised archival system for useful information. I just learned something reading your post there Jaz, I mean, I was fairly confident that was the case from reading other things but your post has now pretty much confirmed that to be the case.

Yeah I knew that was ironically going to do that. :(

But it so true so many people have still not cottened on almost a year later. Someone I know who works for a SEO company, IE thats all they do, is adament that onpage is illrelevant still to this day.

We have a £3500/month client who does SEO with us if we were doing it wrong they would go else where. I spent all this time building up a link automated finder.....

Really how many positions do you get a month with link building?
A couple....
interesting.....

I wonder how long it took you to create a automated link finder to find links on a CMS forums and blogs, and how many of those are nofollowed anyway? O and not even taking into account because its a blog comment and forum link devauled even more so than normal links, yet you charge them £3500 a month for link building, sorry SEO. :rolleyes:

I think I'm having a bad day today as I'm very negative, plus I just had a corka of a phone call with a client, O dear lord. Made me laugh. But don't know very negative for some reason, mmm......:confused:

I wont be providing a link to mine as I don't want to mess around with my stats, but you should know that.
Check your PM, not giving it out on the forums for obvious reasons mainly I don't want to screw up their stats with useless traffic data also.

Plus I don't really care if people want to hang my work on the fridge, but I know your interested in improving your SEO skills so take a butchers. :)

Back