Newly redesigned and optimised website not ranking well in Google

Cheers Jay for the PM, all interesting stuff, but I wonder how you would optimise a site/page for a highly competietive search term such as.... "Domain Registration / Domain Name Registration" without link building? ..... without giving to much away when trying to optimise sites for highly competitive search terms, isn't link building still a valid process? (assuming links from authoritative sites/quality sources)

O no don't get me wrong not saying it is still not valid for entrenched terms as links still play a role, as I say 10% these days IMO, just the amount of terms you get from spending hours link building is minimal in comparision to the hundreds you can get for a lot less time spent and thinking outside the box instead.

That said that really depends as we have some pretty good ones brand name work boots no link building etc...now mega competitive terms, think million searches a month etc...I would be surprised if links weren't needed for those, along with good strong content. Links do still play a role, not saying they don't, I just wish everybody would stop quoting that thats all SEO is these days. SEO these days is far from it.

But pretty much every thing else can be gained with good copywriting at the mo from what I can see. End of the day copywriting is not all I do and I'm not giving away the rest as if I'm honest when you understand Panda especially you understand that there is more to it than just that, and entrenched terms can be chipped away at over time with no "link building" IMO but that takes a pretty big plan, and when I do it I do it in stages, from the off, and you need to know what to look for from day 1. :)

Get your head around Panda and you'll know what I mean. :)

Back