Newbie print design questions...

dogthomson

I've decided I'm going to design and illustrate a poster for each of my 3 neices for a Christmas gift. The problem is I've not done many print pieces before, so I'm a bit unsure as to which print methods would work best, or how to set up Illustrator for the best print results.

Can anyone direct me to decent resources to help an absolute novice in print design get started?

Thanks in advance.

Document setup: CMYK colour profile and 300 DPI.

Make a 3-4mm border guide to allow for trim/bleed (make sure background overlaps but no text)

That's the very basic guide ;)

So the plan is to run off a poster for each of your neices.
What size print are you looking at? Your best bet is to find someone whole can produce large format prints. No point in setting up litho for 3 posters.

Good luck.

Typo said:
So the plan is to run off a poster for each of your neices.
What size print are you looking at?

Yeah that's the idea, I was thinking A3 sort of size.

Typo said:
Your best bet is to find someone whole can produce large format prints. No point in setting up litho for 3 posters.

I'm not sure I know you mean by this, please can you expand at all?

Yea im not sure what Typo is saying either, if its digital or litho you still want CMYK, 300 DPI and 3mm bleed.

We also print A3 posters, if you have any artwork your not sure of email it to me at [email protected] and i can check it for you.

Alex Printedeasy said:
Yea im not sure what Typo is saying either, if its digital or litho you still want CMYK, 300 DPI and 3mm bleed.

We also print A3 posters, if you have any artwork your not sure of email it to me at [email protected] and i can check it for you.

I think typo is referring to larger than A3 digital inkjet prints where 300dpi is an unnecessary high resolution/file size

If you need larger than A3 let me know, or any other tips just ask :up:

thanks MrP (nod)

Back