Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie having a mid-life crisis!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by crazyvet, Mar 11, 2010.

1. crazyvet

crazyvet New Member

Hi everyone,
    I've just joined this forum because I'm interested in graphic design as a complete change of direction from my current job. I've always loved drawing and designing things on paper and on the computer, but was put off art college by (my dad) at the age of 15 in favour of a "proper" job!
    I'm not planning to give up the day job just yet (bills to pay!!) but hoping to learn the skills I need slowly in my spare time so would appreaciate any advice.
    I'm currently having fun with an Adobe Illustrator demo which I used for a village project, and I'm trying to learn more about all the tricks of using it!

2. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the Graphic Design Forums. :icon_thumbup:

Cheers

Damon

3. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

Welcome. . .

Kate

4. MarkS

MarkS Member

Hi there, and welcome.
    You've certainly come to the right place, the guys and gals on here will keep you right.

5. Logopro

Logopro Member

Hi there!

Good to see that your finally getting around to pursuing your childhood dream xD

Alf

6. crazyvet

crazyvet New Member

Hi again everyone, thankyou for the welcome messages. I've been doing some research trying to get myself started...! I realise I've got a lot to learn, but wondered I anyone had any advice on a good place to learn it!
    Along the self study at home lines.. as I certainly cannot afford to give up work to do a course. I've also seen lots of home study courses advertised but am worried in case I end up with a piece of paper at the end which will not do me any good!
    Also any advice on getting simple basic freelance projects which might help me learn as I go along? I generally produce much better work with a specific aim in mind- otherwise I get a "blank paper" mind block!

Thank you all.

7. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

lynda.com is fairly good - well praised. Not sure what they offer in way of Graphic design. You may be able to find a 30 day free trial. (Google it)

Basic freelance projects - ask friends, family (business cards - stationery - leaflets) local Churches for newsletters - they tend to be done by volunteers!

Start small and simple. . . and keep it simple. You could always start with a leaflet or card for yourself.

Good luck.