New Year's Resolutions (72ppi - 300ppi) ?

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I don't make resolutions as a rule as I tend to think it's doomed to fail but I'd by lying if I didn't think about what I'd like to achieve in the coming year.

In a Design/Career perspective, what would you like to happen in 2019?

I've got quite a list so I'd be happy with just nailing a couple and my currant list is :

• Carry on with learning After Effects and finish the animation I'm working on.
• Re-do my web-site.
• Do more traditional sign painting and pin-striping.
• Launch a clothing brand.
• Start the creative venture I've been thinking about.
• Pull my finger out of my arse and do some of the above.

Anyone else like to share theirs?

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
I'm looking to get out of print and design altogether. Nearly 40 years of age now and don't get any joy from it.

At the moment I've applied for a train driver position - with full training - been through a few rounds of interviews and looking positive.

At least then I'll have a good steady wage, good pension, and a different way of life etc. plus comes with free travel.

So that's my bombshell.

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I'm looking to get out of print and design altogether. Nearly 40 years of age now and don't get any joy from it.

At the moment I've applied for a train driver position - with full training - been through a few rounds of interviews and looking positive.

At least then I'll have a good steady wage, good pension, and a different way of life etc. plus comes with free travel.

So that's my bombshell.

HOLY SH@T Hank!

That is a bombshell. :oops:

But mate....If you've lost the love then that's an awesome thing to do and I really do wish you all the best with it.
Life's to short not to enjoy what you do and it's never too late to change.

That's a lot of peoples dreams right there so there must be stiff competition for it?

I lost the love years back as I've said before and took a six year break but that was mostly though shite employers.
I returned to it out of necessity as I found a Postman's life wasn't for me. At least the one week I spent being one.

If I was just doing one style of illustration then I'd have packed it in ages ago but I find my key is to just keep doing different things.

If you do succeed in becoming a Train Driver....Will you stop at Chesterfield and allow me to honk your horn? ;)

scotty

scotty

Staff member
Thinking back.

I think that working in print was one of the things that turned me off all that time ago.

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
HOLY SH@T Hank!

That is a bombshell. :oops:

But mate....If you've lost the love then that's an awesome thing to do and I really do wish you all the best with it.
Life's to short not to enjoy what you do and it's never too late to change.

That's a lot of peoples dreams right there so there must be stiff competition for it?

I lost the love years back as I've said before and took a six year break but that was mostly though shite employers.
I returned to it out of necessity as I found a Postman's life wasn't for me. At least the one week I spent being one.

If I was just doing one style of illustration then I'd have packed it in ages ago but I find my key is to just keep doing different things.

If you do succeed in becoming a Train Driver....Will you stop at Chesterfield and allow me to honk your horn? ;)
Well at leat you gave the postman's job a good go! My favourite joke of all time is to be pretending to do a crossword puzzle and you will always get someone asking you if there's any you cannot get. I always say "A Postman's bag" and they always say "Sack" - no "Satchel" and I always say no it doesn't fit. They always say - "How many letters?" and the joke is - about 400 a day!

HA HA HA - it's hilarious!

Well it's in Ireland, don't have an trans-sea train at the moment, but who knows what the future will hold.

I don't even know if I'll get the job, but it's a positive start to getting out of print and design - each year the work is getting less and less, and with sites/apps etc. it's becoming a young persons game, and best of luck to them.

Just can't see myself at 60 sitting in front of a computer worrying if I made the right change to a job that went to print in a rush... it's just not something I want.

Life is too short, and I'd get to see beautiful countrysides, stop in different towns that I wouldn't normally, etc. it sounds an ok lifestyle for me. My dad was a train engineer, spent 35 years doing it, and my grandfather was a train driver, you could say it's in the family blood.

When the opportunity came up to apply I jumped at it.

Who knows, maybe I will do a bit on the side - but for now I'm just looking to move away from it altogther.

scotty

scotty

Staff member
Mate. I forgot you were in Ireland.
I'll come over to honk your horn as my family originate from Ireland and it'd be an excuse to visit. ;)

I can just imagine how scenic a lot of the journeys would be.
If I had to re-invent myself then I think I'd have liked to be a Countryside Ranger or something like that so I get where you're coming from.

When I left, I treated Design more as a hobby with a purpose which I guess is why I ended up being an Illustrator as that was what floated my boat and it became my niche.

It's sad that print is slowly dying off and I recall warning a member that wanted to return to publishing that it might not be the best idea.

Thing is, I'm wanting to do more Sign Painting/Lettering which was how I started and that was pretty much dead and buried until recently so who knows?

Life is to short mate!

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
At least even if I don't like it - there would be room to move around the organisation and perhaps I could apply internally for other roles.

I just don't know if I fancy shoveling coal. :) :) :)

S

susan maher

I'm still new to graphic design, even tho' I am in my 50's. My goal for 2019 is to endure ( as best I can ) my main job while practicing illustration, when I can.
I have a simple idea that doesn't entail working for others and doesn't entail having to learn animation or after-effects. :)
I sifted through 80 designs that I did in 2017-2018 and discarded most. Some made me cringe, but I have about 8 that I am happy with.
Returning to illustrator has helped. Nothing I do on photo-shop is appealing. I can spend 12hrs a day on illustrator. It gives me a buzz.
It is a long process for me to recognise what is good v's bad design, but I think I'm getting better at it.
And so... i'll keep at it.

@Hank , it is always good to have clarity. Hope you get the job. 'Tis A new adventure. Perhaps you will Love design again when you don't have to make a living out of it, and you may become re-inspired.

scotty

scotty

Staff member
I'm still new to graphic design, even tho' I am in my 50's. My goal for 2019 is to endure ( as best I can ) my main job while practicing illustration, when I can.
I have a simple idea that doesn't entail working for others and doesn't entail having to learn animation or after-effects. :)
I sifted through 80 designs that I did in 2017-2018 and discarded most. Some made me cringe, but I have about 8 that I am happy with.
Returning to illustrator has helped. Nothing I do on photo-shop is appealing. I can spend 12hrs a day on illustrator. It gives me a buzz.
It is a long process for me to recognise what is good v's bad design, but I think I'm getting better at it.
And so... i'll keep at it.

@Hank , it is always good to have clarity. Hope you get the job. 'Tis A new adventure. Perhaps you will Love design again when you don't have to make a living out of it, and you may become re-inspired.
I think it's great that you aim to change to being an Illustrator and it's one of those things that it doesn't really matter how old you are.
At least you din't decide to shear sheep! :D

I work almost exclusively in Ai so I know what you mean.

K

KPrinceArt

-Pick up my Youtube channel again, maybe go a different direction with it.
-Get a darn portfolio together like I keep saying I'm going to
-Get a better job with said portfolio
-STAY in that job because I'm sick of having to bounce around.
-Get a working, good looking website up. Even if I have to pay someone else to do it for me haha.