New www.mrleesimpson.co.uk

M

mrleesimpson

Evening All.

Bit cheeky of me to post this considering I've not posted on any other threads in a while (although I have been reading them all) so apologies for that.

I've made some small changes to www.mrleesimpson.co.uk to basically tighten things up, introduce a bit functionality and make it an all round nicer site.

I realise that its very plain and minimal but that was the kind of style I've been trying to maintain.

Honest (and brutal) feedback appreciated. Thanks!

mrleesimpson said:
Honest (and brutal) feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Lee,
Thought you had emigrated! Before i get my chainsaw out ( only kidding!) I'm interested to know why the change? What ticks?

I like the minimal look of the site and general feel of the site, good job. The things I might change would be.

1. Your blog seems cool, why not have that as the home page with a link through to your portfolio.
2. I'd shorten your initial blurb to something smaller. Oh and I noticed three spelling mistakes in there.
3. Take the under construction thing down.
4. I think the nav would be better without been in all caps.
5. The images on the portfolio should be links.
6. Change the copyright to just 2009 (pet hate).
7. Change the doc type to strict no one should be using transitional at this point.

That's all I can see for now bud, hope that helps.

Berry said:
Hi Lee,
Thought you had emigrated!

I think my brain has emigrated and left the rest of my body behind.

Berry said:
...I'm interested to know why the change? What ticks?

The original site that was up (although this isn't a massive change) had overall feel pretty much spot on I just wasn't happier with the finer details. Things like the links, the way some of the information on the homepage was laid out and the lack of overall colour.

I was also listed on some websites "Best Minimalist Websites" list and I tooks some ideas from the other websites on their to step my game up a bit. Also I wanted to get a bit of the old Javascript in there although I'm not sure I'm happy with the twitter feed bit.

andyshaw said:
I like the minimal look of the site and general feel of the site, good job. The things I might change would be....

All totally spot on points Andy thanks for those. One thing I would say is that the 'Under Construction' bit is there because I'm just leaving the site up over night and I want people to be fully aware I'm still working on. I've changed the wording though.

Thanks chaps!

Lee, one quick thing I've spotted the links on your blog sidebars are still yellow, not sure if that was intentional or whether they should be switched to the blue as well?

Other than that I'm liking it :)
Greg

The title (lee simpson etc) has a black background which disappears when you roll over it but the links further along act the other way ie the black appears when you roll over. Id just have it one way or the other, it just makes it a bit neater. I agree with the initial blurb being shorter, just a quick sentence. You can always a longer about section elsewhere. Other than that its a brilliant! I like the clean, minimalist stylings.

Greg said:
links on your blog sidebars are still yellow, not sure if that was intentional or whether they should be switched to the blue as well?

Yer I left this intentional to break up the blue. I'm going to check this on some other monitors today and decide.

twiggy8520 said:
The title (lee simpson etc) has a black background which disappears when you roll over it but the links further along act the other way ie the black appears when you roll over. Id just have it one way or the other, it just makes it a bit neater.

I did this to break it up. To make sure that the nav is seperate from the title because there is no logo and I didn't want the top to be too heavy. But I can see what you're saying, I'll have a look at some other options.

twiggy8520 said:
I agree with the initial blurb being shorter, just a quick sentence. You can always a longer about section elsewhere.

This is one of the things I'm not sure about on the site. I personally don't think its alot and the main reason I don't want reams and reams of information on an 'About Me' page is because I find it hard to write that kind of thing.

What about if some of the text was hidden? Like the contact details?

Thanks again everyone.

I've made a few changes based on the feed back:

- Hidden some of the blurb text.
- Changed the footer copyright date.
- Change the doc type (this one annoyed me, school boy error).
- Tightened up the layout a bit more.

I tried the nav in black along with the 'logo'/title but it looked too heavy.

Back