New work for Citroen

No. I'll take that as a compliment though.

He jumped over an empty space a bit smaler than the car. We got several takes following several different trajectories and stitched them together in post.

It was pretty obvious he didn't jump the whole car for me personally... If you watch the 'swing' of his arms it doesn't move either side of the 'cut' but he has moved. Also the initial camera angles make it look like he's jumping 'behind' rather than over the car.

Which cut? The close up(s)?

Yes, in hindsight we shouldn't have used a 12mm wide on this, the distortion leads the untrained eye to assume he's behind the car or too small which obviously doesn't help the illusion.

Well observed points though. Those and the fact it's IMPOSSIBLE to jump the whole length of a car! Even with the trampoline he couldn't clear it safely.

the thing is though with the way his hands moved he probably could have made the car IF he had used the roof as a 'vault horse'

I have to work with this type of 'stitching' in my type of work so eyes are pretty well trained :)

Hmm, maybe. He was keen to try it in-camera, but it quickly became clear it wasn't going to be safe.

We only had the one car on set that day, which along with having the clients over form Paris, meant we couldn't really afford to have any hand-shaped dents in the roof.

P.S.

Levi said:
I have to work with this type of 'stitching' in my type of work so eyes are pretty well trained :)

Cool. Always interested in other people's motion work. There's nothing I can see on your site though? Do you have a Vimeo account?

mines more photo based (think buildings into scenery where perspective has to be spot on etc) rather than animation and most of my work is under nda hence why my site looks rather empty lol

Work will never go on a site like vimeo or you tube due to their t&c's etc

Thanks Tim,

No it's not stop motion, but was an aesthetic choice made in pre-production and certainly intended to look like it might be.

It's actually just rendered at 12fps, giving it that jerky style of movement. I did that because I knew I'd have to splice together lots of different takes of the hand model's action(s) which would result in a jumpcut style of edit. I knew the app wasn't going to be finished when I had to shot hands and iPad, so I had no idea what the journey would be. I had to shoot every hand gesture and combination thereof using an empty iPad screen, then add screen recordings of the app in post, then just jumpcut the gestures and actions to fit.

I didn't assume he jumped the car for real due to the massive distance seemingly covered during the brief cut, but it looked very cool nonetheless. Awesome stuff. Is that "STOMP!" in the music one?

matt said:
Thanks Tim,

No it's not stop motion, but was an aesthetic choice made in pre-production and certainly intended to look like it might be.

It's actually just rendered at 12fps, giving it that jerky style of movement. I did that because I knew I'd have to splice together lots of different takes of the hand model's action(s) which would result in a jumpcut style of edit. I knew the app wasn't going to be finished when I had to shot hands and iPad, so I had no idea what the journey would be. I had to shoot every hand gesture and combination thereof using an empty iPad screen, then add screen recordings of the app in post, then just jumpcut the gestures and actions to fit.

ooh interesting :)

Back