New Website

You need to accommodate 1024 and below. It's the current highest anyone can safely design to.

Re. the text being images, it's not about SEO, it's about accessibility. Images can't:

+ Have styles removed.
+ Be scaled up for users that need it.
+ Have high-contrast mode styles applied to them for users that need it.
+ Be selected (think copy/paste).

Levi said:
ipad - 1024 by 768-pixel
netbook average 1024 by 600 pixels
mobile phone - 800 by 480 pixels
average laptop - 1366 by 768 pixels
average desktop - 1680x1050 pixels (20" widescreen) to 1920x1080 (23-24 16:9 widescreen)

what sells the most at the moment desktop or netbook - netbook
Thanks for that info - very useful - just as a side note I can view this site perfectly well on my iPad and iphone4 once I've squeezed it with the finger gesture - and because everything is big originally it's very readable.

Again, your input is very valuable to me and I'll reaccess the site over the next few months.

Thanks

jasonwall said:
Thanks for that info - very useful - just as a side note I can view this site perfectly well on my iPad and iphone4 once I've squeezed it with the finger gesture - and because everything is big originally it's very readable.

Again, your input is very valuable to me and I'll reaccess the site over the next few months.

Thanks

You can zoom in firefox etc too, doesn't mean you should have to...

at my work i've had to set up 10 new netbooks and 20 new iPads for members of staff.. so things are definitely getting smaller :p :lol:

jasonwall said:
... just as a side note I can view this site perfectly well on my iPad and iphone4 once I've squeezed it with the finger gesture

but wouldn't it be better if the end user didn't have to do the in the first place?
I think the design and technical decisions are based upon whats best for your bosses/you and shows no consideration for the end user, surly its the end user your company want to take money from?

If they the EU are unable to see your product/service without either upgrading their hardware or knowing about undocumented browser specific features I doubt they will be willing to part with monies with a company that within the creative industry cant get their own website correct.

PS as a side note.....

As we been discussing small screen size ...
How many users access some of the popular websites using a mobile device
TheGeoSocialUniversev2_JESS3-640.jpg

Right, as others have said, the design is way too big. The idea that a 'creative' company ignores key practical issues wouldn't bode well if I was a potential client.

Other points: totally agree with Harry, using images for text is a big no-no. Especially as the font you've got is pretty similar to web-safe fonts. If you really wanted to use that specific font then there are ways, then look into using @font-face to import the font you want, or sIFR (although I've not actually used either of these myself yet).

However, I like the general layout (if at a smaller scale) and the slideshow on the clients page is a nice touch. Good to use lightbox, but it must be implemented correctly, see the link below to see how it rendered for me (using Chrome v.6 beta).

attachment.php

All in all, for me, you're half way there. It NEEDS to be more accessible (read no images for text/much smaller size), but the layout is and general presentation looks nice.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 28
echo echo echo, I like the design, but I/we are designers working on decent sized screens if we can't see it all you customers DEFO CAN NOT.

Same for the fonts/accessibility. Nice design but it needs fixing, your customers wouldn't want a site that eeeeeefff all of their clients could view properly so why would they consider asking you to build it for them.

Nice looking site but a little fixing up will do the world of good!

Fred said:
Right, as others have said, the design is way too big. The idea that a 'creative' company ignores key practical issues wouldn't bode well if I was a potential client.

Other points: totally agree with Harry, using images for text is a big no-no. Especially as the font you've got is pretty similar to web-safe fonts. If you really wanted to use that specific font then there are ways, then look into using @font-face to import the font you want, or sIFR (although I've not actually used either of these myself yet).

However, I like the general layout (if at a smaller scale) and the slideshow on the clients page is a nice touch. Good to use lightbox, but it must be implemented correctly, see the link below to see how it rendered for me (using Chrome v.6 beta).

attachment.php

All in all, for me, you're half way there. It NEEDS to be more accessible (read no images for text/much smaller size), but the layout is and general presentation looks nice.
A big thankyou! Would you know why the lightbox isn't viewing correctly in chrome? I think I'll start on a more fluid/smaller/text version as the general views dictate - I'll post it when ready and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks to all that replied very much appreciated.

No worries Jason, glad it helped.

I've had a look at the source code and I would think its due to this line in the CSS (combined with the fact I CTRL+- tabbed out, Chrome might have got confused with all that):
img[width=832] { width: 832px; }

Note that when I have the screen viewed at normal resolution (CTRL+0) it views as it should, it's just the CTRL zooming out that throws it off. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're making the site so that there won't be a need for zooming, it should fix itself.

I look forward to seeing the update!

Back