New Website on Shared Services

pjohnstone

Hi All,

Just released a new website to the world.

Perform World - Creating operational excellence | Shared Services | Benchmarking | Performace Measurement Scotland

The site deals with the world of benchmarking and shared services within business.

What I needed to do was make sure the site was nice and clean and easy to navigate.

Due to its heavy content we kept everything as minimalist as possible.

We also developed a homepage that provides easy access to the main sections of the site. The navigation is handled using the 'Suckerfish' drop down menu which is cross browser compatible.

Any thoughts or improvements that you see then let me know!

Peter

I love it. Especially love the blue and the red mixed, although it looks a bit weak at times, like in the flash text, and the logo, but that's just me.

Cheers Tim,

The blues in the logo were given a slight opacity to make the text stand out.

As for the flash we felt that making it as unobtrusive as possible was key so we reduced the depth of colour.

HOMEPAGE
For me im not sure, the logo i feel should be part of or at least over the main image, the small sub navigation links look out of place at the top, i would expect to find them in the footer, and the strap line in red seems squashed against the foot of the header image and the top of the x3 blocks, needs more visual space.

I also feel the background is too stark, and need some colour or something to break it up, the horizontal rule looks odd.

As for the other pages, there ok and serve the purpose, however a grip of mine or perhaps a pet hate is drop down navigations where the sub navigation breaks over two lines! would look so much better with a little more spacing between sub-links and also more width per sublink so the sublink text doesnt drop over two lines.

All in all, there so much more that could be done to this site to really set it apart,to me it feels 1/2 complete.

hope this helps?

ps. looking at w-w-w.streammedia. org you have some promising work there, where as the one above seems to have missed the mark imho.

I cannot agree with the logo being part of the main image - that would just be really messy. I agree the strap line does look quite squashed. I think a slight increase in line spacing will sort that.

The horizontal rule is actually a linear gradiet from very light grey to white. I just needed something to break the header fromthe main body.

I am currently working on the sub navigation and the two line issue is something I am looking at. Although due to the length of the link names it is proving quite tricky.

I also don't agree that it looks half finished. What we were trying to do was create a site that clearly displayed the information but also kept a corporate look.

Thanks for the feedback though, its good to get a different perspective on the site.

Peter

This is not minimalist. You say you wanted to keep "everything as minimalist as possible".
The nav feels awkward in that image. I'd take it above the grey line - which in my opinion has no real purpose!
Also, the choice of imagery. A man running on the beach? Why? It conjures up images of fitness and freedom - not web based business services.

Take a look at these -
New Order Concepting visualnotion.com | creative (design + code)
Carbon Silk - Developing ideas by James Broad
OmniTI ~ Web Design, Development, & Infrastructure in New York & Maryland

The man running represents 'operational excellence' the whole point of these products are to make the business as efficient as possible. Hence the running man.

The horizontal line is there to seperate the header from the main section and try and give the site some depth.

Cheers for the feedback though - its given me some food for thought.

johnstone said:
The man running represents 'operational excellence' the whole point of these products are to make the business as efficient as possible. Hence the running man.

The horizontal line is there to seperate the header from the main section and try and give the site some depth.

Cheers for the feedback though - its given me some food for thought.

Yea - I wouldnt say a grey line gives a site depth ;)

I'd definitely have the nav above that line.

I am not a web designer so apologies in advance if my advice is not workable.

The fading in and out of the flash feels a bit choppy, I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I just don't feel inclined to look at it after the first few seconds - it sits in the corner of my eye as an annoying jumping thing. It were as if it were added there to fill space. Is it dreadfully necessary or is there any way that information can be put somewhere else?

Have you considered combining the image of the running man with that information that keeps flashing? A Flash video of sort but subtle.

That red navigation bar at the top feels like it wandered off and got lost. I wonder how it would look if it were placed where that flashing text is occupying at the moment?

I think I have to agree with Jhouse that I don't understand where the running man fits in with the focus of your site. You can explain it if you like but my tutors at college used to tell me 'you can't explain it to a million people, it just has to say what it is'.

Good luck with the site dear, show us the touch-ups with it when you get the chance!

Back