New website - flickrdesign.com

flickrdesign

Hello there.

I've started a new website called flickrdesign (flickrdesign) showcasing the best graphic design pieces from flickr. Please have a look at the site and let me know what you think.

Also, if you are a flickr user and you have anything you think would work on the site, please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks!

I hate the header and the footer. Everything in between is gold. :)

For the header, the gradient is kind of low quality. Since it's a photographic site, why not go with a texture instead? And as for the logo, maybe add a small graphic or make the text stand out more? I'm not really feeling it.

The footer should just be smaller, if it's not going to encompass a lot of information. On the flip side, you could make it more graphically intricate.

Hey Sneakyheathen -

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was really going for something very simple for the site.. something a lá kottke.org. I agree that the gradient wasn't working for me, I switched it to a flat color, and I shortened the header by about 20%, as well as making the footer smaller. It's probably not what you were looking for, but I'll probably work on it more in the future. I only made the site 3 days ago, so I haven't had a lot of time to think about the design.

Thanks for the constructive-criticism though!

Cheers.

I like it! I like that its really simple and the design of the site doesn't out strip the work you're showcasing. I would however think about another way to display the work.

I feel like I've got to do a lot of scrolling to get to each post; have you thought about a more grid style layout?

mrleesimpson said:
I like it! I like that its really simple and the design of the site doesn't out strip the work you're showcasing. I would however think about another way to display the work.

I feel like I've got to do a lot of scrolling to get to each post; have you thought about a more grid style layout?

You know, you're probably right, that there might be a better way to set this one up. To be perfectly honest, I really just wanted to get the thing up and running, and I didn't spend as much time as possible designing the site. Although, I really do like the simplicity of the site, which, as you said, doesn't take away from the designs I'm trying to feature. I will probably try to go to a grid or something else, but only if I can maintain around the same size images, because I want to make it so users don't have to click the image to get a better look. I want them to be able to just scroll through, you know?

At any rate, thanks for the comments, and I will most likely try to redesign a bit in the future, to go to a more user friendly set up.

Cheers!

Back