Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to UK

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by bfsoft, Feb 26, 2010.

1. bfsoft

bfsoft Junior Member

Hi everybody. I recently moved to the UK from California and started freelancing. I do miss the Californian weather but can't say I miss working for "the man".

I've been developing software and websites for over 10 years but my education is in business management- a good combination, I think. If anyone could use an extra hand around Warwickshire or the West Midlands, feel free to drop me a line or visit my website:
    Warwickshire Web Design by BFSoft.

2. TomStutt

TomStutt Senior Member

welcome

3. Greg

Greg Active Member

Hi Ben,

Welcome to Design Forums, that's quite a change in weather/climate!
    Hope you find the forums useful, and please feel free to add your site link to your forum signature :)

Cheers,
    Greg

4. Welcome to the forum Ben :)

5. Aarlev

Aarlev Member

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the forum and the UK! What made you decide to come here? Is it too hard to get any freelance work in Cali, or could you just not resist the Yorkshire Puddings, Marmite, and Argos any longer? ;)

6. bfsoft

bfsoft Junior Member

As awesome as Argos and Yorshire pudding are (trying Marmite is now on my to-do list), I actually came for the football... and because my wife wanted to live closer to family in Romania. She's an audiologist and got a job with the NHS.

7. tim

tim Senior Member

we should've swapped houses.

what part of california?

i just came back from there and wanted to jump out of the plane when leaving :p :(

the only thing i'm glad the UK has got is less homeless people. there's a homeless person asking for change on every freaking block. someone kinda needs to help them out.

some of them started shouting at me in the street- gotta be crazy to have a go at a stupendously brilliant 17-yr old.

i love the amount of starbucks there are tho in san fran at least :D

oh and the pretzels. pepperoni pretzel ftw.

8. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi ben

Welcome to the forums buddy. I don't suppose your a formula one fan? I have no F1 friends around here :( nice to have you around the forums mate.

9. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Poor Glen and his lonely brum brums

10. Greg

Greg Active Member

Glen, you found an F1 buddy in Phil, but you've not replied to him yet!

11. bfsoft

bfsoft Junior Member

I'm from Sacramento but love San Francisco. Not as much love for F1 unfortunately- prefer the rally cars if I'm honest. Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

12. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I think we can generalize that statement :p

13. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

:eek: omg! Yesss!

14. CarmaCreative

CarmaCreative Member

I'm well amped at the prospect of spending July and August in San Fran this year. Hopefully staying in Mission district. Can you recommend any good hang-outs? Do you know if DJ Shadow plays out as he is from Oakland right?

15. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Hey welcome! I'm hoping to head over to the UK as well, but for me it'll be to attend a University. It's really great here, hope you enjoy with us!:)

16. Love Creative UK

Love Creative UK New Member

Welcome to the UK. Hope you don't get to depressed when you realise that our entire summer consists of around 1 week of nice(ish) weather :p

17. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Welcome to the UK. You may notice that you start to gravitate towards queueing for long periods of time and handling change in small plastic bags, don't worry, this is entirely normal British behaviour.

18. Rhonda

Rhonda Senior Member

Thats okay! Besides thats when you want to find someone to snuggle with to keep warm the other 360 days!:eek:

19. bfsoft

bfsoft Junior Member

Most of the best Mission District hangouts are around 16th and Valencia. Mission: 16th & Valencia Streets - San Francisco Neighborhoods - Travel - SFGate

I don't know the Mission District as well as North Beach. If you head over to North Beach, there's a gem of a restaurant called The Stinking Rose on Columbus Avenue (the main street through the neighborhood). One of my favorites. You've got to like garlic, though, and you won't walk out with the nicest breath in the world.