Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the forum, new to the country.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by ukin, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ukin

ukin New Member

Hey everyone!

I'm an artworker, typesetter and designer with about eight years experience who's just moved to London from Canberra, Australia. I love nerding out about design and don't often get a chance to (I moved on my own and I'm still a little isolated here). I also need to do the networking thing so I can start getting some fun work!

I've also been making, illustrating and photographing forever, even studied a bit. I'm just starting to take it more seriously; I have my first couple of UK based art jobs coming up this month. Yikes!

It's lovely to meet you all and I can't wait to get involved in the forum.

- Anne

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum (and the UK) Anne

3. ukin

ukin New Member

Thankyooouu! It's lovely to be here. :)

4. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

You'll even get used to the rain... eventually!

5. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

Hi Anne,

Welcome, welcome. Good to see you here.

Peter

6. ukin

ukin New Member

I love the rain! (It's been drought in Australia for my whole life, it's a novelty for me.)

I'll review that comment in two years. :)

7. sthomas

sthomas Member

Hi Anne,

Welcome to the forum - I never thought I'd hear someone say rain is a novelty :)

BTW, Good luck with the art jobs

Cheers

Scott

8. HX2Design

HX2Design New Member

Hi and welcome. I know just what you mean about the rain. I lived in the Canaries for two years and it was so dry and hot most of the time. I really missed the greenery and seasons in England...Yes even the rain and snow! Have fun here

9. Hi Anne!

Hi Anne

I am new to this site too. And also new to becoming a freelance graphic designer! You come from Australia? Im planning to go to Australia in feb for a yr on a WHV. I would love it if i could gain some design work out there, do you think this would be possible on a WHV? Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks for your time

LauraJaneDesigns.

10. ukin

ukin New Member

Hi Laura,

My advice is a bit grim, I'm afraid. There didn't seem to be much last time I was looking which was when I was deciding on whether or not to move over here earlier last year. When I was back in April/May it seemed like Australia was just going in to its own financial crisis. A lot of creative people I knew were unemployed or underemployed or terrified to change jobs, etc.

So sorry to say, but I think you may struggle.

I'd suggest trying Melbourne (I'm from Canberra -- don't bother) and start getting your work out to recruiters (do a web search and email email email) at least a month before you go. Network if you can, organise to meet people straight away. In terms of the actual work, you'll need really broad skills and good problem solving abilities which you probably already have as a freelancer.

The Australian minimum wage is decent, so if you're mostly going with savings to holiday and party and you can't find design work, you'll probably do fine working in a shop or cafe. The cost of living is really high though, so watch that.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news! Maybe other Australians have had better experiences, though so try some other people too. :)

- Anne