New To HTML

Chris Lord

Hi Guys,

I'm after a little direction here. I have built sites in Flash previously but I think it's time to bite the inevitable bullet and try and learn some HTML. Can anyone recommend some online sources which will be good for a beginner start learning basic html?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I learnt HTML and CSS through a site called html.net I believe. Great at the time, but I recommend visiting the W3Schools site (HTML Tutorial). They have a huge walkthrough of html for beginners, and some more advanced tutorials I think. Oh and they also have quizes to test knowledge etc :) I also remember downloading and dissecting themes from CSS Zen Garden (csszengarden.com).

That's a start! Hope it helps :)

If you like video training tutorials then I would highly recommend Think Vitamin from Carsonified. The videos are very well paced and easy to follow for beginners.

Cheers guys I'll have a look at these. I'm not looking to write html from scratch, mostly slice up psd's in Dreamweaver. Hopefully this is covered on those sites?!

Hi Chris,

Would recommend learning HTML/CSS from scratch instead of using a WYSIWG style editor, you'll be able to do so much more with a decent understanding of HTML/CSS, and won't be limited to just one piece of software.

Thanks for the input guys. Do these tutorials base themselves around typing html websites from scratch? As opposed to slicing up PSD's in Dreamweaver. Sorry if this is a stupid question but that is how little I know about HTML side of webdesign!!

They're one and the same really. Doesn't matter whether you're designing in the browser or taking a PSD and coding it up; it's all the same HTML.

A few months back I disagreed with Harry about designing in the browser, as I've always used photoshop and fireworks, but lately (the last few months) I've started to design in the browser and it seems a very good method. Slicing website designs now in my opinion shouldn't really need to be done as less images equals better website performance!

For sure heading images are used, background images are used, but nowadays you can do a lot with CSS to replace images to maintain website performance.

I used a good book by site point which helped me develop my skills. I then looked at other peoples code, read tutorials etc.

There are also a lot of people of Twitter and these forums who can help so drop by when you need support :)

I always design in the browser. I guess I started doing it by mistake really before I read about it. I wasn't good enough to make my websites look as I intended them so I just coded them straight and hoped for the best.

I used a XHTML, HTML and CSS book for dummies and W3schools for my basic knowledge but sites like this Web Design +/ have been which really helped me understand and most importantly, make something that actually looks good.

(That's Harry who has been posting in the thread)

Good luck :)

Back