New site nearly finished! (hopefully last time I do this for a while)

Haaaa yoooou guys! :D
Right... everything is updated again! I have also finished making phone and tablet (although I don't currently have a tablet to test the site) but it seems to be more or less all ok on my phone (S2) - could someone try it out on a tablet if possible?
Thanks for all the comments / critiques / encouraging comments Jim, Levi, Sean, Scotty, Tony and Wac :) Hopefully it is just about there now!
Edit: Hopefully tomorrow or Sat i'll update all social media / sites / etc and link to the new site helping drive a bit more traffic to the site. Also i might get in touch with you Tony sometime, if that's ok!

I'll check it on my nexus 7 (2012) tomorrow for you but I've got one last suggestion :)
Change your logo and text from black to the dark brown and maybe pick a 'warm grey' for the grey you've used to tie it together a little more :)
Your footers aren't all dark brown either, the work one is the old colour for some reason

Thanks - that footer is sorted although I won't be changing the logo.
Just announced it on social media pages etc and general feedback from everyone is positive. Some 1000 visitors in the first 12 hours according to the stats!
Again, appreciate the feedback from everyone here.

Hi Alex plenty of helpful comments on here for you. It's a nice looking site and I like the brown.
What I noticed is the very bottom of the page, it says 2009-2014.That area is generally for copyright notices, you maybe need the copyright mark and does 2009 cover your work on there? Is it watermarked to protect it? I didn't notice.
Just some brief ideas. Good luck. You're obviously a talented individual who should go far.

It's good to see that you are at the end of the website designing iof your website. Mmmnnnnnn..............I remember that few days ago you asked us about the logo design of your website. Am I right???

Well, with the 2009 that is when I started working for some people - too be honest i'm not too sure what to add in the footer apart form my name. I don't have any official copyright - would this be an issue?
I'm not too keen on watermarks all over my work, but I see why some designers want it... maybe one day, when i'm the best designer in the world and people start to steal my work ;)
And yes Arianna, I did ask for feedback a few months ago.

Yeah, there is no such thing as an official copyright, you either posses it or you don't. If you create a piece of work then you are automatically granted copyright ownership over that work. The exceptions there are if you are working as an employee for another company/business.
All you need to do is put the date and the copyright owner: 2014 Alex Gilmore.
All rights reserved is redundant because it refers to US legislation that was done away with years ago. I have it on mine but only because it looks weird having a long navigation on the left and a tiny bit of text on the right....

Really the only thing you need to worry about with your own freelance work is whether you can actually show it. In some cases the client would prefer that it's not shown on our sites (I get it a lot due to nda's) because it's not 'live' yet so to speak - my advice is to ALWAYS ask permission and get it in writing if they say yes :).
Also you 'usually' need a model release form if you work with a model if you want to show photo's of the model etc.
Having said that there are some grey areas you need to be aware of hence my link :)

Well, this is why freelancers need to work with a contract, to clear up all of those issues or raise them if the client wasn't aware of them in the first place.

Ah right:
'When rights occur:
Copyright is an automatic right and arises whenever an individual or company creates a work. To qualify, a work should be regarded as original, and exhibit a degree of labour, skill or judgement.'
Didn't know that one. So if someone started 'stealing' all my work saying it was them / selling it, then it could be taken to court, technically?

in essence yes, in reality you'd likely have a hard time 'proving' it unless they don't have any 'graphics talent' or the work is very unique.
If it was your work in a newspaper/magazine without payment or credit then you'd have an easier time, albeit costly, claiming in court.

I believe that your case is made much more apparent if you are in possession of the original or draft versions of the work; we're talking sketches, variations and that kind of stuff. If you really want to be safe, you could put the work onto a DVD and mail it to yourself with signed delivery. This means that there will be physical, dated evidence of when you created the work and any sketches/variations etc and no one can claim that you created the works specifically for the court case to 'prove' your innocence.

Back