New site layout

Hi Paul,

Liking the new site design/layout, has a similar feel to Lee's site (MrLeeSimpson.co.uk) think that's down to the yellow link backgrounds. Also is your homepage not supposed to have your little ph logo? Just noticed it was missing when going to another page and then back to home..

Greg

I quite like it! Nice color scheme.
However, I think there's a bit too much text, and I'd like the images to be larger. It seems a little bit crowded some places.

Hay Paul, I'll give you some feedback, sorry if this gets long been a while since I did one of these.
Starting from the top ~
By the looks of it you have all your tags ended properly and you use HTML5 up your doctype to XHTML strict no reason why not to TBH as your more than capable ~
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

Change your opening HTML tag to this ~
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" dir="ltr">

As that tells user agents that the language of the page is English and the text is to be read from left to right.

<meta name="robots" content= "ALL" />

That's pointless as search engines will index a page unless told otherwise so that can be removed.

<meta name="keywords" content= "Graphic Design, Web Design, Illustration, Printing, Typography, Basildon, Laindon, Essex, let the kids dance, fashion, tshirt design, product design, freelance, london, mr site" />
That again is pointless and can be removed as it is not used by any major search engine and just adds pointless bytes that have to be downloaded.

Change you title element to ~
<title>Paul Huxen graphic designer based in Essex</title>
As that will help the search engines rank your pages better.

<!--[if IE]>
<script>
document.createElement("header");
document.createElement("footer");
document.createElement("nav");
document.createElement("article");
document.createElement("section");
</script>
Should be in an external file to help with caching, reduce server strain and help increase page performance.

<script src="assets/js/typeface-0.14.js"></script>
<script src="assets/js/helvetiker_regular.typeface.js"></script>

Both need the type="text/javascript" attribute on them to be correct.

<a target=_parent href="index.html" title="Back home" ><span class="logo"></span></a>
That wont do you any good in the search engines, blind users on the other hand will benefit. Don't see why you don't just link the image and in the ALT attribute write your name, not your name home, just your name then on hover change the opacity of the image to a lighter colour. Same effect but everyone, blind users, users with out images and the search engines all benefit.

<li><a target=_parent href="contact.html">CONTACT</a></li>
<li><a target=_parent href="resume.html">RESUME</a></li>
<li><a target=_parent href="typography.html">TYPOGRAPHY</a></li>
<li><a target=_parent href="projects.html">PROJECTS</a></li>
<li><a target=_parent href="illustration.html">ILLUSTRATION</a></li>

That should ideally be written up as first letter capitalized then in the CSS write ~
text-transform:capitalize

Same effect but wont annoy blind users.

Change you h1 to ~
<h1>Paul Huxen graphic designer in Essex</h1>
As that will help the search engines rank the page better.

New project looks like a link remove the underline.
This text is pointless ~
However if you are interested contact me here.
Change it to ~
However if you are interested contact me for further information.

Also put an actual contact form on your site, http://www.designforums.co.uk/web-c...html-contact-form-copy-paste-jobs-goodun.html. then link it into that, more professional that way.

Again the link for the kids dance should say ~
View my designer artwork for the Let The Kids Dance clothing company.

Again adds better words for the search engines and the user.

Change your about heading to say ~
About Paul Huxen

Again better for the search engines then remove I'm Paul from the text.

HTML and CSS
They are abbreviations so they need to be coded properly. Check out my abbreviations post in my accessible web coding thread for more info about pulling that off properly.

The flicker link should read my flicker otherwise your implying that that link links to the Flicker home page. Removes ambiguity and makes it more click-able.

The JS at the bottom also should be external.
Hope it helps
Jaz

Nice and simplistic. I just had a little nose around your work, I particularly like your 'Breaking the Design Industry' project!

Hi Paul,

I like your site a lot! I don't really have a bad (by bad I mean constructive) word to say (probably why your thread has been quiet)..

Only things that could do with BEEFING up is your contact page, like Jazz says a contact form would be better.

Your using html 5 but unless I'm mistaken you have a xhtml doc type?? the doc type for html5 is just:<!DOCTYPE html>

Also any users that don't have javascript (like stupid corportate co's) enabled & use IE will obviously not see the page correctly as your html5 elements won't be created.. Guessing you probably know that and those visitors will only be a minority.

Nice fonts too!

...looks like you might have missed a >

here: <div class="clear"</div>

(on your homepage)..

You could make that <br class="clear" /> which would be more technically correct as you wouldn't have an empty tag but it doesn't rly matter..

Hi,

Nice simple website let me first say, but as always there is something to improve on, here is my 2 cents...

- I think the logo needs to be bigger, I think it is too small at the moment.
- Maybe the title should have a bigger padding bottom from the content text, it seems to close at the moment.
- On the illustration page maybe the images should have a lightbox function or similar to the projects page to see a bigger image of them.

I can't really find much else design wise as I think it is very pleasing on the eye.

Hi there,

I like the 'blank canvas' feel of the site - the images are given a nice, demure (but stylish) situation to speak out from. Also, because it's so simple, It doesn't fall into any stylistic categories as such and suffer from the fact it may look dated in a few months - I think it will still feel fresh.

I'd put an apostrophe on 'I'm' and maybe a small a for 'A graphic designer' since you've put a comma after your surname.

I also agree that the logo should be a little more prominent; the ph is quite delicate and it's looking a bit squished and pixelated at the small size.

Apart from that, it's a nice clean layout with lots of potential fo making your work look stunning.

Good stuff.

@Tbwcf
Yeah good catch on the doctype TBH dude. :clap:
And this is just beautiful~
<br class="clear" />
Can't believe that has never occurred to me before.
Think I'm falling in love with your simplicity. :love: Aww sigh.

Back