New Site Launched

just clicked round the site - very easy to navigate and i like the layout. its abit dark for me but thats just my opinion. good job.:clap:

Watch those ampersands!

Code could be a little better but other than that it's a decent enough build mate :)

Few points:

On the services page:
Make the links headings and bring content to that page. I once built a site where pages were linked out like that (except it was 'web', 'print' etc on a portfolio). It taught me that people hate clicking. Put all your services on the same page and if you really want links just use fragment identifiers to jump to the content on the page.

Testimonials:
They should be <blockquote>s, not class="quote"

Cheers all.

Agree with Tom it is quite dark, which is always a risk, but we've got a decent site at last so I'm happy! :)

Harry said:
Watch those ampersands!

Code could be a little better but other than that it's a decent enough build mate :)

Few points:

On the services page:
Make the links headings and bring content to that page. I once built a site where pages were linked out like that (except it was 'web', 'print' etc on a portfolio). It taught me that people hate clicking. Put all your services on the same page and if you really want links just use fragment identifiers to jump to the content on the page.

Testimonials:
They should be <blockquote>s, not class="quote"
Cheers Harry.

Site (well, the first page at least) now validates. Need to check over the others though, a couple of tweaks to add such as self closing meta tags.

-------

We had it before that we had a paragraph of content under each heading and then the full content on each page but we decided it was a bit pointless having duplicate content.

I'll talk to my mate about it again and we'll reconsider it, although we have quite a bit of content for each sub-heading so seperate pages will have to stay in some form.

-------

Ah, blockquotes. I guess I better change that. Oh the joys! :)

From learning the hard way I'd still seriously advise against the linking out on the services.

For your blockquote just do a find/replace: <div class="quote"> >> <blockquote> and then change the CSS from .quote{} to blockquote{}. Then all you need to do is change the </div>s to </blockquote>.

Cheers Harry, I'll do that with the quotes soon, just gotta make sure everything's validating first.

Quick question, the validator is saying I can't have the following:

<ul><li>blah</li>
<ul><li>sub-content</li></ul>
</ul>

Have I nested that wrongly?

right, is it just me (and browser safari4) or are the services and testimonials in a slightly different alignment to the other headings?

Oh yeah, looks clean, simple and dam effective.

Cheers MrP :)

Looking on FF3 on the PC and Safari they all seem to be in the same place.

Any screenshots or the like would be appreciated!

EDIT: Cheers Harry, I'll sort out those then, my bad. I'll try and fit in some lunch sometime aswell :p

Looking good Fred. Nice, clean and easy to use. Huge improvement from your old site.

I'm not sure about the heading being right aligned on 'We try to take the jargon out of web design' and the text overlapping the reflection on the 'recent projects'. The whole bottom section feels a bit cramped to me. I would suggest putting more emphasis on your recent work and lay that out better. Maybe use the whole space for that, and have your standard solution in your services page? Or perhaps make the site a tad wider and include it in a 4th column next to 'What we do' etc.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers Aarlev.

I'll take that all on board.

We went with right aligned for the jargon bit as it gives the rest of that area a bit more space to breath.

I agree that the text on reflection of the 'recent projects' image isn't perfect but I'm not quite sure where else it could go.

I'll certainly consider whether the standard solution should stay put of we could make a bit of a better use of that space, it was mainly trial and error designing down there as we just needed to get some progress and get the site online.

I'm not a fan of the 4th column idea personally, but appreciate all ideas brought to the table as they'll do nothing but good :)

Also agree that the footer is a bit cramped, I thought that when sticking the footer to the bottom, that will probably get some more padding at some point but is quite low on the priorities so may not be for a little while.

Thanks again, I'll certainly listen to all the opinions.

(I must write slow)

Hey Fred, for me the site is very cluttered, and each section, seems to be fighting against its neighbour and such the information conveyed doesn't feel natural or balanced, in fact the general feeling the site gives me is one of anxiety and suggests you as a company are still trying to understand what you do.

Focussing on specifics...

The main navigation looks really odd as a tab, perhaps would have been better if the background colour stretched across the full width of the End Users display rather then going for the shaped tab style.

If you can spare a bit of cash I really really recommend getting in a good copy writer in, as you have a few occurrence's of slang English on the site, again if you cant spell, will your code be any better? with so much competition in this industry you have to convey professional, dependable and accurate from the word go.

Again this is perhaps a personal note, the site is simply to dark for my tastes, feel you would be far better positioned with a lighter theme.

General structure, for me is a major weakness in this design, things just don't seem to connect, service outline needs work, and the usage of a outdoor image with laptop displayin a website you have done has done a death on the web.

Personally, I feel this should go through a couple more revisions and a few more critiques before opening up to the public for business.

Keep working at it Fred.

Geoff.

sorry im a bit late.

fred, i like the nav, it's very nice. but then we get down to the "xenonsoft studios" and i feel as if you're missing a logo- it just doesn't scream 'design' to me straight out.

i also think it could do with a bit of a wider container, that may settle a bit of the cluttery-ness that geoff mentioned :)

i like that you tried to incorporate a picture into the main content too, but for me those colours don't compliment your website that well. i think you need something a bit more sleek, but still quite a nice idea.

i also like the font (georgia?) - but i think it's overused a little, or maybe it's the sizing or the plain-ness of it? i dunno. once again nice basic but i think it could be pulled off a little better.

EDIT: stept is a real word?! cool.

hope this helps. :)

Sorry I'm late too (for some reason just forgot to post :()

Personally I like the overall style of the site although I also feel it could do with being a bit wider (I reckon 900-950pixels wide would be good).

I'm also not keen on the shade of blue in the menu and the grey you have used, they just don't seem to gel too well in my opinion.

I'm also thinking your main banner in the middle looks out of place, its pretty vibrant compared with the rest of the site and that laptop with the copy and paste screen just looks plain bad (sorry) - it needs something to make it look part of the laptop (a shading/gloss maybe)

Tim - stept is a valid word, its past tense for step (like stepped), albeit an older version and rarely used now.

Back