New prices 2010

Julian KNott

Hello everyone

Am intending to button down some changes to my pricing and terms and conditions and wondered about feedback.

What has prompted this is the increase on clients asking for hourly rates as opposed to jobs rates.

Primarily I have increased my hourly rate to £35 (from £30) and proposed a one-off £50 charge for the first hour no matter what scope (I call it 'consultation'). Additionally for those jobs which are provided 'piecemeal' (ie small amends here, pause, more amends, pause, more amends) a flat £35 will be charged - the idea here is to get the client to provide an hours worth of amendments as opposed to 5 minutes. But if they do provide 5 mins worth of amends its £35.

Mercenary or just covering my bottom?

This sounds sensible and perfectly fair; I have a similar policy on charging.

For some clients, I also charge a 'late payment protection fee' of 10% on top of the final invoice amount. They are given the option to deduct this if payment is made promptly. One client in particular always has a real problem paying anywhere near a reasonable timeframe - they have the option to save money, but choose not to. I even need to apply a credit limit - they are hanging by a thread in terms of my willingness to continue with them.

So yes, you must encourage sensible behaviour and protect yourself as well. It's not at all unreasonable.

we always have a minimum charge of 15 minutes @ £x.

Stops these numerous '5' minute jobs that clients feel agrieved to pay for. But add the 5 minute jobs up and it soon adds up. Also it encourages the clients to get their act together into a collective. 10 minimum charges soon add up if they are paying for it.

glenwheeler said:
I am guessing this is for design jobs such as web design etc?

We charge flat fee for print alterations because of plate costs. I know the print shop my friend works for does something similar to Berry's I forget the cost but its £xx per hour charged at 15minute intervals.

That sounds good and fair to me.

Do you send out a 'terms & conditions' document to new clients?

Will

Berry does and i guess we all should- except it makes the customer feel a bit more distant and see you as more corporate than you are if you're a freelancer, im guessing?

(did that make any sense?)

I think a terms and conditions agreement for any project is essential. I wouldn't worry about coming across as 'more corporate' - instead you will be seen as more professional than other freelancers who don't bother.

tim said:
it makes the customer feel a bit more distant and see you as more corporate than you are if you're a freelancer, im guessing?

liverpool-photographer said:
you will be seen as more professional than other freelancers who don't bother.

David's answer is spot on IMO, if the client isn't interested in seeing your T&C document through fear that you're too corporate for them then my instinct would tell me you're probably best not dealing with them at all!

i see what you're saying, was just playing devils advocate (is that the phrase?)

Back