New portfolio website layout

well you could just run it with Wordpress to do the blogging part :) or use something else similar :) like just some PHP to call in the text :) depends on how you want to display things :)

Looking good! Sorry not had a chance to follow this thread but have caught up now! The Ace graphic and headline really works well on the homepage, and fits perfectly with your new branding. One minor thing I would suggest (apologies if already been mentioned) is the page background, atm you have the one rounded corner top left and the rest squared, I would make them all slightly rounded to match your new logo, and the same for the portfolio images down the right side perhaps?

As for building it, should be pretty easy to code into a Wordpress theme, you could even use the custom field features in WP to manage the portfolio images on the home page, as well as the main folio section. If you're not keen on learning how to code WP themes you could outsource it to a WP theme coder, shouldn't be too expensive, guess it depends how much you plan to update it, as to whether or not it will be a worthwhile investment.

Thanks for your replies.

@Greg: In earlier visuals I had both top corners rounded, and I've experimented with rounding the corners of the project banners. I wasn't all that happy with it. It softened everything up to much, made the layout seem flabby. Hope that makes sense. Since then I've tried to strike the balance between using the curves of the logo in some ways but not letting it be an overriding factor and softening the whole layout. At the moment it's quite clean and strong, if I add too many curves the sharpness is lost.
I've tried to introduce a few curves with the imagery too, the playing cards picture for example. I like the contrast of that one curved corner when compared to the others, and I've tried to use it to draw the eye to the top corner and my logo.

I will most definitely be outsourcing the build on this one. When I first joined a job swap was a discussed possibility, but I'll be more than willing to pay for a good build and some guidance with the blogging part of things, as I'll obviously be wanting to update that section quite regularly.
I probably won't update the actual portfolio sections for long stretches of time, most of my work at the moment is concerned with small projects. I thought blogging would be an excellent tool to display smaller more recent examples of work without having to overhaul the portfolio sections.

If anyone might be interested in working with me to build the site, and give me a bit of guidance on blogging, updating etc feel free to PM me and we can discuss specifics.

Cheers

More updated visuals.

Home page: LINK DELETED

Project Page: LINK DELETED

Contact Page: LINK DELETED

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Cheers

Sorry to keep harping on about this one, but if anyone else has the time to look over the updated visuals I'd be very grateful. Everyone's comments so far have made a big difference and have helped out immeasurably.

Thanks for your time.

new visu;as are fine to me. Still a long slab of copy on the right that needs visual breakup.
I would suggest. 'About me' changing it to Who's Ken? place a pic of you ( with some personality) and start creating personal engagement rather than the obvious.
Always remember BENEFIT to the user. I'm not to sure if the first two paras could be combined. It takes a while to get to Ken.

Cheers Berry, more great suggestions.
I realise how helpful a picture of myself might be to bring in a personal connection, but I've never been keen on it. I'm sure I'll find a suitable pic though.
My face is a bit changeable too, I tend to swing from clean shaven to beardy quite quickly!

maybe that could become a gimmick or at least a time lapse image for our own amusement?

Funny you should say that! My fiance found a vid on youtube called "changes" , I think it was. A bloke took his photo once a day for six years and put it together as a timelapse sequence. We've started doing it for the last month or so now. Not sure how long we'll keep that going though especially after I pointed out to her that we were simply recording how much older we will start to look! She wasn't impressed. :D

I'm sure I'll figure something out. I like the idea of having a strip of photos that are all a bit different.

Okey Dokey! (That's the first time I've used that expression, I quite like it!)

I have what I feel to be final visuals for my new website.

Home Page: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z310/Krey20/HOME-PAGE-LAYOUT.jpg

Portfolio Page: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z310/Krey20/RADIO-3-PAGE-LAYOUT.jpg

Blog Page: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z310/Krey20/BLOG-PAGE-LAYOUT.jpg

Contact Page: http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z310/Krey20/CONTACT-PAGE-LAYOUT.jpg

I'll be starting a new thread over at the Job Tenders section, anyone who might be interested, please look over the short brief and if you are very interested PM me to discuss it further. http://www.designforums.co.uk/job-t...lace/1741-web-developer-needed.html#post16805

Cheers all.

Wow, that site looks amazing!

The colours, the graphics and the layout... spot on IMO. The homepage is incredibly welcoming and informative, which I really like.

I don't really have anything to say about it that I don't like to be honest.

Erm, sorry, this didnt help at all!

As Tim said, it looks great Ken, really nice work, bet you're pleased with it?
A few small points I wanted to mention, I think the image of you on the homepage could be a touch smaller, for me at that size it takes attention away from the latest projects on the right side a bit too much. If it was a bit smaller and aligned to the top of the text still then had some white space beneath the photo I think this would help with that balance.

The other thing was in your copy on the homepage you still need some line breaks, just between the paragraphs as it's still looking quite bulky on the copy side, quick & easy fix though :)

Nice work :)
Greg

My website is live! http://www.kenreynoldsdesign.co.uk

Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

I've started a blog as well, so any input about that would be helpful too, as it's my first experience of blogging.
Also if anyone out there would like to contribute a guest article, get in touch.

Cheers

Ken

Brilliant work Ken! I really like that.

Minor thing but you've got 'clothinig' here Ken Reynolds Design :)

Another thing that frustrates me a little bit (but again a very minor thing) is that I have to scroll at every project to read about it (but this could just be me, I just like reading about a project before looking at it). Maybe you could incorporate the description in to the left frame instead, above the content so you have both the description of the project, and the thumbnails to the other projects on top?

Anyways, top job Ken! :up:

I like the design, I think the pack of cards is pretty off putting though. run a high res and its still really big on my screen, so I would be worrying for 1024x768 users...

Site looks great, enjoyed looking at every project, if this peice had no typography or something more suitable I would be begging you to print me one to buy.

cohesion1.png

Back