New Motion Reel!

Basic

Hey everyone!
Long time no post. Been busy moving over to the other side of the world and getting settled! In some down time though I did manage to cut a new reel for some prospective clients.
https://vimeo.com/76856324
Quite happy with it so far but still some bits to add in and some to take out!
Let me know what you think, all feedback welcome :)
Cheers
Liam

Hey that's not bad! My main criticism is that it didn't seem to carry any sort of message, it just felt like a load of random things put together. Nicely design random things though, for the most part. Not so sure on that owl at the start...!
In parts it also felt a little rushed, like you had gone back and cut down sections to adhere to an imposed time restriction. My only other comment would be to add that if you ever include a sentence of text in the reel, people are going to want to read it, and so it would be better not to go so fast over those types of content, such as the "What is an algorithm" part. I read it, but it was still very fast and I imagine that others may not have had time. Maybe it's just me but I would have been a little annoyed if I saw a line of text and wasn't given sufficient time to read it.
Nice work though, how is everything going for you work-wise? Where are you living now, Australia? :)

Hey Sean, Cheers for having a look and getting back to me. Been super busy so not had time to respond.
Haha yeah the owl we just filler. Yeah there hasn't been much structed to the reel. It doesn't have the arc of telling a story. I had cut it in 4 hours to show some perspective clients. Not trying to justify its randomness but its certainly a w.i.p with the more projects I works on :)
Yeah I agree with what your saying its a little too cut on the beat. I feel like I don't have enough work to pad out a nice reel so my algorithms project took the centre stage. Cool on the Algorithms type. I'll look at letting that linger more when I go to re-visit it.
Yeah living and working in Australia. It's going good so far and the work is starting to come in. Really strange starting again and networking but fun at the same time. The weather is getting better everyday... I'll miss the UK for the winter though... haha kidding. How's things on your side of the world :)
Cheers
Liam

Glad you're aware of the issues, looking forward to seeing what you can come up with in the future :)
Oh you know, the usual, cold windy weather with the occasional, and completely random, sunny day. I am interested to know what the cultural differences are within the business world between AUS and UK. Have you found networking to be much different? Are things generally easier or more difficult? That would make for a good blog post too!

Cheers Sean :)
Haha funny you say that we've had that cold, windy, rainy day. It was 30c Thursday with no clouds in the sky. Today 9c! That's a really good idea I'll get a thread on the go soon enough. I'm trying to spend more time on here but just getting esablished here is time consuming (as it would be anywhere new).
Back home I was working with at least 2 or 3 clients on a regular basis so didn't have the need to work for other people or meet new clients in all honesty. Now that I'm here it's been a load of faceless emails until the 1 out of 100 actually replies back. It's been a good though and something I've needed. I am starting to work on a lot of projects I wouldn't of back home. So from a professional standpoint its cool.
One thing to mention though is I had a lot of trouble with getting my ABN (Australian Business Number - just for being self employed) So for about 2 months I haven't really had the chance to work until recently. The reason for it taking so long is for the fact I'm not a permanent resident or a citzen.
One thing I will mention though is the wages... WOW. You can make so, so, so much more and that's including converting it back to GBP and paying the conversion cost. Cost of living isn't as bad as everyone tells you it is... however beer is expensive haha.
Another plus side is the opportunity. Being from Sunderland there was always limited opportunity if any so clients tended to be based in different cities (always cool for the travelling). So being here is great.
Anyways I'll leave all this for a blog post or thread! :)

Me and my partner have decided that we're going out to Australia at some point. 30c you say, at least you get a variation! It's really interesting to hear about how you're doing over there, I'd love to read a larger thread or blog post about it!
Where abouts in Australia are you living now and how long are you planning to stay there for?

Yeah I shoudn't really be complaining. I might make a post in the new year when more works comes in. So far everything has been great bar my ABN. I'm based in Melbourne in the outer eastern suburbs. I'm a little far from the city but on a train line. Hoping to make the move closer to the city when more established and better income flow. Hopefully for a second year so will need to do some fruit picking (change can't be bad) then who knows. Forever perhaps. It's strange leaving everything 10,000 miles away but that's another story :)

Back