New member and starting designer

Joaann

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member of this group and wanted to share my latest work.

I've been designing for a few months now and i'm slowely getting the hang of it. Unfortunatly i have no money for Adobe CC software so i'm using free software (gimp)

Do so of you maybe have any tips/tricks for me as a starting designer?

This is some of my work i was practicing with:

greentea ad (just for practicing, not real)

peel fresh ad (just for practicing, not real)

Fiction movie poster

I would appriciate all constructive critisism

Dear regards and hope to hear more from you,

Joan

Welcome to the forums Joan. :)

There have been a few threads about starting out as a Designer.
If you do a search for "starting" and check the title box then there are quite a few but I found one here.

There's probably quite a bit you'll be able to do using Gimp but as you progress you're probably best moving over to something more industry standard to learn those if you want to get to a professional level.

The Adobe CC subscription is quite pricey but there are alternatives such as Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo that are giving Adobe a run for their money and they are much cheaper.

Once you do start using something more mainstream then there are LOADS of tutorials on the web and Lynda.com is very good for the price and you can get a month free to give it a go.

Thank you,

I read some threads already and they are really helpful

I also hope to recieve some personal opinions and critisism about my work

Welcome to the forum:

Areas to work on...
accuracy of cutting out objects, the bottle especially has a clear white edge to it
Grammar/sentence structure etc. You have capitals where you should not have capitals etc.
Using a samurai for the samurai picture... the girl in the picture isn't dressed right, has the wrong weapons and is the wrong ethnicity.
Colour/contrast, didn't even see the coming soon on the samurai picture first time I looked at it.

Welcome to the forum:

Areas to work on...
accuracy of cutting out objects, the bottle especially has a clear white edge to it
Grammar/sentence structure etc. You have capitals where you should not have capitals etc.
Using a samurai for the samurai picture... the girl in the picture isn't dressed right, has the wrong weapons and is the wrong ethnicity.
Colour/contrast, didn't even see the coming soon on the samurai picture first time I looked at it.

Thanks for the tips!
I´m indeed working on my grammar.
I´m from The Netherlands so i´m still learning :)
(And i'm still in school altough i did my English exam a year earlier)
I'll watch the color contrast next time and indeed the title isn't really matching :p

Thanks! If you have any more tips they are welcome

Considering you're still at school then I'd say these are very good and don't worry about your grammar.

It's better than many of the native English speakers. ;)

Back