New Mac?

scotty

Ultimate Member
Hay chaps.

My trusty old iMac is coming to the end of it's design life and I'm thinking of getting a new one, probably a laptop.

Any recommendations?

I use AI pretty much all the time and a little PS.
Oh. and it's gotta be Mac.

pick the one that fits your budget... it's not like you have different brands to choose from :p

Personally I'd go for more ram/processor over a 'retina' display due to some programs not fully supporting it yet (basically fuzzy icons)

i'm going to be getting a new MacBook Air at the end of the year :) which I can't wait for :D

yes it has the thunderbolt port. You may need an adapter depending on monitor

There are some apple refurbished 2012 mbp's popping up on the apple site with some cash knocked off, they all come with a full apple warranty.

If its mostly ai and ps then the higher end mbp's might be over kill.

Thanks Balders, I'll deffo check them out.
Not too fussed if they're re-furb's especially if they come with a warenty.

Edit

Just checked them out and there are some bargains to be had.

Check em out

Solid State Drive?

Is that like a flash drive so no moving bits?

BTW. Much appreciate the advice. Never owned a lap top.

yeah ssd is solid state drive. Basically you should get one it's so much faster than traditional hard drives although you do reduce the amount of GB per pound

well that macbook air is using an ssd... did you notice how fast it loaded stuff compared with your older rig which is likely using a normal hard drive. Depending on the age of the macbook air it could be even faster with a newer drive.

ssd's are dropping in price all the time, a 256gb drive will set you back about £150.

Apple seem to be getting wise to this fact so they are making it harder and harder to upgrade stuff. To upgrage a hard drive there is kit for the 2011 21.5-inch iMac, which sells for $58 directly from OWC. It includes an 11-piece tool kit, microfiber cleaning cloth, the necessary data and power cables, two suction cups for the iMac glass screen removal, and a thermal-safe adhesive mounting set. That just sounds like trouble to me.

I know it's not a computer as such but I had a dead screen on an iPod Touch and I got a kit off ebay (lcd, tools) for about six quid and it worked a treat.
Still working now even though it's used by my 7 and 9 year old boys.

@ Levi

It did seem fast but then then it's just used as a normal lappy without the design packages so it was hard to tell.
My old iMac runs a bit slow sometimes because I think some of the capacitors on the logic board are fried which is a common problem on iMacs of that age.

I really like the slenderness of the MacBook Air and they must be really easy to transport.
I'd kind of not considered them as I didn't think they were up to the job but I guess I was wrong.
AI isn't the most demanding of packages at least not in the way I use it.

So glad I asked on here cause it's opened my eyes a lot.

Don't forget the new macbook pro's are slimmer than they used to be.... not sure if ai on mac is the same but on windows it uses the gpu a fair bit and I'd rather have a dedicated gpu over the built in intel options which you're limited to in the macbook air.

You also don't get as much ram or battery life on the air as you do with the macbook pro iirc. Sometimes a little more thickness makes more sense, especially when it usually works out as cheap.

Back