New logo needed...

yellowdog

First of all, can I just say that I am fully aware of my terrible computer skills when it comes to creating a logo. I am currently working with expensive programs called paint and publisher.

Long story short, I've got a screen print studio and have been printing commercially for about 2 years with my brothers. After our first year we spiced things up and created a brand called yellowdog and after that launched just before xmas we set about separating the two halves of the business to give them each a bit more credibility, with the clothing brand keeping the name yellowdog.

After much deliberation my 2 brothers and I settled with the name mmmprinting (our surname is Mackie, ie mackie, mackie & mackie printing and possibly at a glance....mmm that printing looks/tastes good) for our commercial arm and decided to create a crude logo (image no1) to get things moving. We all agreed it wasn't a very clean attempt so we paid a logo man on the net to clean it up and provide us with extra concepts (image no2) in case we had missed a trick. All 3 of us still prefer our first logo so we declined the logo mans offer of developing any of them further for extra money and ran.

After 1 or 3 beers tonight I've created a logo (image no3) that us 3 brothers all want to see finished, but frustratingly cannot actually create ourselves.

I am looking for your kind/unkind feedback on our final logo (please try and imagine it looks nice and sharp and finished) and any comments about any of the other logos we've made or had made for us.

On the back of your feedback and also from friends outside of DF, we will then endevour to try and find a new logo whizz to sort out our final vision.

Thanks!

Our original idea...
vemade.jpg

Concepts created for us...
conceptse.jpg

What we really want...
reafter.jpg

ps. I am aware that the yellowdog site currently has a fault. As I type this I am trying to sort out some hosting problems we are having with the logo which is causing the pages to break.

*edit - Now fixed

On the phone so can't give detailed reply but I'd steer clear of the whole cmyk thing if I were you. It's been done to death for printers.

Just an opinion!

mcskillz said:
On the phone so can't give detailed reply but I'd steer clear of the whole cmyk thing if I were you. It's been done to death for printers.

Just an opinion!

I definitely agree that cmyk has been well used, but as printers we wanted to keep things as simple and as straight forward as possible. Having said that, I think it's quite challenging to make cmyk look anything but garish to someone that doesn't understand the origins of the mnemonic.

Hey All,

Thanks for reply. Off the back of this we went looking to try get some concepts, so found someone local and explain our past situation and was more then happy to drum up some FREE.....yes free concepts, with the intention if he impresses our concept will be developed by him and some business cards drawn up.

Here is his string of ideas.

Personally I am loving bottom right and left

TjZVB.jpg

Can I have your views please? Your favourite? Ways to develop the concepts further?

Thanks all!

Well I have to say that almost all of these are an improvement on the previous set of concepts. There are a couple of hit and misses in this list though and I believe the main contenders to be the bottom right, second from the left on the bottom row, third from the left (in the black circle) on the third row and whilst I like the idea of the bottom left/second from the right on the second row (/\/\/\/\/\/\ with printing underneath) I don't think the execution/colour combinations do it justice, now if these were tweaked I reckon that might be one of the top contenders.

Next time, make sure you ask the designer to number each design...! (or do it yourself!)

I think to improve on the /\/\/\/\/\ concept, you need to lose the darker colour strands and keep to the lighter/brighter tints and possibly have mmm printing stretched to the full width instead of left aligned at 50% width as per the bottom right.

Good stuff.

Squiddy said:
Well I have to say that almost all of these are an improvement on the previous set of concepts. There are a couple of hit and misses in this list though and I believe the main contenders to be the bottom right, second from the left on the bottom row, third from the left (in the black circle) on the third row and whilst I like the idea of the bottom left/second from the right on the second row (/\/\/\/\/\/\ with printing underneath) I don't think the execution/colour combinations do it justice, now if these were tweaked I reckon that might be one of the top contenders.

Next time, make sure you ask the designer to number each design...! (or do it yourself!)

I think to improve on the /\/\/\/\/\ concept, you need to lose the darker colour strands and keep to the lighter/brighter tints and possibly have mmm printing stretched to the full width instead of left aligned at 50% width as per the bottom right.

Good stuff.

Yes a far better improvement and with a local guy who is keen to work and take things further at a cheap rate £20 an hour - the hard graft has been done.

I think we will take 3 concepts forward with him to work on and then try whittle down to find the final one. The one spanner in the works is we would like a logo that we could screen-print (throwing out the overlapping concept) But would have to see how it looks in reality. I am quite confident we have found a great designer that fits our brief and look forward to seeing what business card idea he can come up with. We always seem to fall short of having any business cards to hand when in the exact appropriate situations!!

My fav (bottom left, bottom right) - With some work could be real winners.

Just a quick update on our logo. We've had our favourite (no1) developed further and a few others added and tweaked a bit. We now like no1 and no20.

Let me know what you guys think and we will have a final play around before we settle on what we believe to be the clearest, stand out logo.

Thanks in advance.

numberedlogos.jpg

yeah, my favourites are 2 and 20 - though, how does it look if the mmmprinting is scaled down to fit in the black disc? (this would obviously depend on the size that this logo is being printed/displayed)

I must appreciate your work. Some appealing and attractive logo design you have posted. Some of them are really inspiring.

Thanks for all the input guys. We've settled with number 2, which managed to get about 60% of 200 odd votes given. I will post some business cards for critique in a few days.

They all look quite good, I just think that something special could have been made from number 17 with a few tweaks. The colours were especially relevant to the "mmm" as it makes me think of things like... rhubarb crumble and peaches.. mmm... however, I didn't like the grey font colouring and I reckon that the colouring and shapes would have needed to be re-worked some how.

Number 2 was good though and I appreciate that you probably don't have an unlimited budget or time frame.

Thanks for all your valued feedback guys. I've been pretty quite of late on DF due to changing jobs but I'm totally lapping up the new layout and feel of the site.

I thought I would just quickly update you on the logo we settled with and also point you in the direction of the basic site we've set up.
www.mmmprinting.com

Many thanks and I look forward to throwing myself back into the community.

tumblr_m92ey9KsaC1rt6mj6o1_1280.jpg

That's really good! You must be proud of that :) Thanks for coming back to post as well, appreciate it.

My only vice is that the ink droplets defy gravity. Otherwise it's a nice style and creative.

Back