New logo needed...

Very nice! I think the one that got chosen was my favourite. Yes the ink droplets defy gravity (or orientation as Squiddy points out) but having them the other way made it look like a W at the top to me. Definitely the right logo chosen in my opinion.

Loved reading through this as it progressed from ideas to the final thing (although not too happy that the client took advantage of a designer offering to work for free!)

davewill said:
Loved reading through this as it progressed from ideas to the final thing (although not too happy that the client took advantage of a designer offering to work for free!)
Very happy how it all turned out! Business is going great, and love doing what we do! (we got ourselves a new account too!)

As a result of him working for free, he has since become our sole designer buddy working on all our promotional material, designing our pricing sheet, he has even been working on designing other unprinting related affairs! - he has since been paid very handsomely! It proves that if you offer a small amount of free service and it pays off you get very well rewarded!

We also do the printing for him and his gf's fashion label!

It's great that in the end, you decided to pay him well for his services, but if you think about the logic of that situation, that he was required to work for free in the 'hope' of being compensated later on, well that's just bad business. You wouldn't take on a plumber in the same way, asking for a free fitting/repair with the promise that you'll use and pay for them in the future..!
If you can imagine this situation being played out hundreds of times with thousands of different people, do you think it's going to end well for the designer every single time? :( Whilst in your case it proves that if you offer a small amount of free service it pays off, I'm willing to be that if a designer were to operate like that on a regular basis, he'd be doing a hell of a lot of free work without any compensation. So I cannot agree that this practice should be encouraged in any way.

Regardless, I'm glad it has worked out well for all parties involved!

He wasn't a complete stranger - he was a mutual friend in the facebook world, so in a sense if he was a plumber and he said he would take a look at my leaky tap and suggested I just corked the tap to stop it leaking, I probably would ask him to leave and not speak of this again...nor would I hope he carried on his trade as a plumber.
But yes, in the grand scheme your post makes perfect sense! So I do not condone our way, it just so happy it worked wonders!

For anyone interested here is his work - http://georgeheathcote.com/

Ahh fair enough, I didn't know he was a mutual friend. He's got a nice website and a great portfolio!

I want to give my vote to your original choice. That's look very nice and complete your all requirement logo with a better tag line....

Lovely logo mark. Definitely the right choice. I love how the "M" is highlighted in the logo through the three points of the tear drops. Lovely.

Back