New Logo Design

The Simulator

Hi Guys,

Working on a new logo for a personal trainer at the moment.

The name of the company will be 'oxfos' which originates from oxphos (a cellular action that occurs during aerobic respiration).

Oxphos creates adenosine triphosphate (ATP) which is basically the energy we need to make cells function and all that jazz.

Oxfos will offer more than just personal training though. Clients will have blood samples taken for analysis in the lab and a whole host of other tests done as well, so it will be quite scientific.

As a result I've gone for a fairly sciencey look and feel to the logo. The symbols below the text is are a simplified version of ATP. Adenosine is the hexagon, due to its molecular structure, and the 3 phosphates are represented by the circles.

Any thoughts on it so far? I'm not overly sold on my font choice here but this is very much still a WIP.
View attachment 1288
View attachment 1289

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

• oxfos-logo-frum-1.jpg
    oxfos-logo-frum-1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 29
  • oxfos-logo-frum-2.jpg
    oxfos-logo-frum-2.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 30
Going along the lines of personal trainer, being to train and develop someone over time, maybe you could emphasise that by starting with a small icon (the hexagon) and then each one getting incrementally larger as it goes up the chain? Just a quick thought, it might not look very good.
Maybe you could build that design into the logo a bit more and use a hexagon in place of the O of Oxfos and then have a string of molecules attached to it in some way?
It really doesn't say personal trainer to me though, but I love how you've incorporated the molecular structure of ATP. Can we see the sketches you've done so far? Have you done a morphological matrix or combined any other designs/icons/text?

I'd like to keep the symbols the same size ideally as I think the connection would be lost a bit as obviously the molecules don't change size in reality etc.
I like the idea of the hexagons in the type, dunno why I didn't think of that! ;)
Yeah it doesn't really scream personal trainer, but then again I'm not sure it has to really. It will be the application of logo that will determine the overall feel of the brand, or at least that's the way I always looks at logo / branding design.
I would love to show you some sketches etc, but I don't use a sketchbook or any morphological matrix's or anything to combine words / phrases / icons. Just straight from my head to Illy (I know that's not the normal way to work lol, but it works for me :))

Quick update.
Changed the type on it, I think this sits a lot better now.
Squiddy, I did try the hexagons in the name but it just didn't look right at all :(
View attachment 1290

Attachments

• oxfos-logo-frum-4.jpg
    oxfos-logo-frum-4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 26
Just an idea, not sure it works though.

oxfos.jpg

Here's the second concept.
Client has also said that a large aspect of his work will be running, especially distant and endurance training.
This is based off an old Chinese simple for endurance / longevity which I've switched to form the shape of an egg timer, to kind of reference training, and improvement etc.
I'm really not happy with it at all and the first one is a lot stronger, but I've got to do 2 concepts and I'm currently coming up with nothing :(
View attachment 1291

Attachments

• oxfos-logo-frum-5.jpg
    oxfos-logo-frum-5.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 29
Make a bullet point list of all the specific reasons of why you don't like it, then start again and make sure to cover all the points you listed. See what you come up with. I'll assume, by lack of response, that you haven't done a morphological matrix or anything similar? It would really help you to explore every possibility with this brief.
I don't hate this second one, but I don't love it either..! It just feels like I'm looking at some strange symbol and I've no idea what it's trying to say. Chinese symbols are great, but you have essentially just made the logo very vague and ambiguous for anyone who doesn't know Chinese symbols...! Which I imagine is a large portion of Europe, let alone the UK!

Squiddy said:
I'll assume, by lack of response, that you haven't done a morphological matrix or anything similar?
I did respond to this further up in the post :)
I'm more than likely going to scrap the second idea and move onto a fresh one I think.

Yeah sorry, I tend to gloss over parts of posts some times, I'm not sure why..
The reason I mention this is because you've posted up two designs and have said that you aren't entirely pleased with either of them. The reason people sketch first and follow through with things like the matrixes is to increase their chances of finding that magic combination of icons, ideas and text. I just can't help but think you might come up with more ideas that you yourself are really happy with from the beginning.
I'm not a logo designer though, perhaps your method works best for you?

Suiddy:
I'm really happy with the first one now i've changed the typeface used. The issue I've got is that I've said I will do 2 concepts for him to review so i have to think of a second, but as I'm happy with the first and I think it willwork well it's hard to see past it.
I've tried working in numerous different methods over the years and none of them work as well for me as just sitting and thinking for hours, then diving straight onto the computer. Got me into a load of shit at uni for not showing 'backup work' but overall it works for me.

It's amazing what a bit of colour can do isn't it!
Nice work :) Thanks for sharing too, it's appreciated!

The colour works really well Mark. Post that version you sent me on Skype earlier. Looks lovely on there!

Great logo, well done. I was going to suggest starting the sequence with this triangle ▲ and ending it with this one ▼. trying to represent someone getting in shape. However its meaning would have been known only to me lol. your logo would also work great for a gambling site ♠♣♥♦.

Back