Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New iPhone or Not?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by berry, Aug 24, 2009.

1. berry

berry Active Member

I'm using the first gen iPhone which is about as slow as dialup and The Everton back four. I'm outof contract and just paying £35 a month payg. So what phone? Blackberry or new iPhone 3gs? Don't fancy another24 month contract with something slower than a fiat pinto
  2. Harry

Harry Senior Member

3GS is really fast. I've never used a first gen iPhone but a guy I know who has one said he could tell mine was a 3GS just by how fast it slid between app screens (worded that really bad, basically just swiping between screens of app shortcuts). If your only worry is speed, get the 3GS.
  3. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I got a iphone 3Gs a few weeks ago and love it!

I've found the 3G signal to be pretty impressive speed wise to be honest.

A friend of mine got a normal 3G recently too and the 3Gs is quicker (not by much but just enough to notice - at least by his very scientific test of placing them next to each other and trying to push the buttons at the same time)
  4. depends on what you want it for Berry :)
  5. tim

tim Senior Member

2.1x faster minimum- you can tell if you open up maps, or text messages, or safari.

infact safari is 4x faster, it will pan and load way before the 3g has even loaded a quarter of the page.
  6. berry

berry Active Member

Browsing, email mainly
  7. tim

tim Senior Member

you can also edit ppt, doc and xls files onthe iphone too with an app. possibilities are endless.

70,000 apps.

safari is mega fast and nice and friend UI.
  8. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

I think apple have brain washed Tim....
  9. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

The DOWNLOAD speed of 3G & 3GS is NO different.

The S is for speed of device processing tasks in apps etc.. not signal or downloading etc....

I have had all 3. And i love the new one, the responsiveness of it is great. TBH with 3.0 both 3G & 3GS become great phones.

Email is sweet as, just converted dad from his windows mobile & blackberry to iPhone aswell as 3 of his collegues! They evan bought Pay&go and cracked as they are on vodafone.

Get one berry, you will not regret it!
  10. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Don't do it get a real phone (symbian - sony ericsson satio) :p
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

AHAHAHAHAH serious!?

the phones we have in store would beg to differ!
  12. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I will take a satio (at the rate my upgrade/change of mobile provider is going it will be out too) over an iphone any day of the week, hell I'd even take a nokia over an iphone (I think nokia are crap quality hardware).
  13. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

apple have definetly brain washed tim!

What are peoples thought on the G1/android? I fancy one of them!
  14. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

The g1 has that weird ball scroller thing that feels really off to use.

I want a palm pre (with more apps)
    wipes the floor with the iphone in my opinion
  15. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

To be honest, I have no idea what that is! I will google it!
  16. charles

charles Senior Member

i have had iphones and blackberrys and can say iphone is a million times better for web browsing, the page display is much closer to a pc than blackberry's interface!

i'd avoid blackberry storm as they seem heavy and the ui gets slower and slower over time also the touch screen has a weird mechanical element to it where you have to push the screen and it sort of clicks.
  17. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Well i am talking from real world useage over past year on 3G and few months on 3GS.

All on O2 Iphone contract.
  18. I think ultimately it depends on if you are a serious emailer.. I believe that the Blackberry is a lot quicker to type an email than the iPhone, but for web browsing, the iPhone is better than the Blackberry. But both are decent bits of kit and either would do the job for you Berry... I guess you just need to decide if you like the touch screen or not :)
  19. tbwcf

tbwcf Active Member

maybe we should make this easy and just add a vote/poll for Berry?
  20. berry

berry Active Member

That would nice!

Do apple have a newer 3g supers S or 4g in the pipeline. Everytime i buy an apple product i find a better one emmerges a few months later. 24 months before an upgrade seems a long long time in technology world....

Also anyone know where I can get a 'hard skin' fitted cover in the Uk for my 17' macbook