New Identity

Krey20

I'm in a position that I think most designers find themselves in at some point. I've been finding that producing work for yourself is harder than it is for a customer.
I joined the forum very recently and it's given me a good kick up the a***, and I've completed an unfinished idea that I've had for a new identity that I can apply through my portfolios and self-promotion.

You can find my previous ID on my website if you like or you can judge the sample on it's own merits.
I've tried to keep the look simple and clean. My thinking is that it will provide a smart, neat and clean setting for my work samples to sit in (thinking ahead for the portfolios).

As a representation of myself and my business, I wanted to project similar principles. neat, simple and easy to deal with. I like to think there a a bit of quiet confidence in the minimalist approach too.
IMG%5D
new_sample.jpg

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Ken,
design is much better than the original. Can't make out the font, if it's Souvenir then I'll come down the line and shoot you personally!
Like the graphic as a graphic, think a better colour comb could be used, grey and maroon very obvious, but like the grey. Think your replicating your concept over 2 sides. Make one side you infomation and the other a 'curve ball' wow factor. Use the small space of the card to it's maximum, like reversing something out of black or a solid. Put a photo or design, graphic etc. You have two sides to a card make best use of them.

Thanks for your thoughts Berry. Below is a larger sample of the logo, with a few colour variations I'm considering.

logo_sample-1.jpg

Krey20

The orange is appealing to me at the moment.
The font is Perpetua, with a few tweaks.

As for the reverse of the card, I have considered doing a "splash sample" or even a few different variations. But it's always hard to choose a few samples that sum you up as a designer. I may have to produce some illustrations especially for the cards.

Hi Ken,

As Berry suggested I think the reverse of the card would look good with something to grab attention, and as you mentioned in your reply some specific illustrations for the card sounds like a good option. From the logo options posted I quite like the orange too, but I'm not 100% sure on the typeface, but that might be just me!

Out of interest does the icon represent anything in particular? Just thinking if there is a specific thought behind it then it could be good to link that to the illustration for the card reverse.

Greg

Thanks for replying.

There is a specific idea behind it, but it will sound a whole lot more complicated than the logo suggests. Anyway, the idea was looking out of something that makes you look in. Like when you see your reflection while looking out of a window. It's a bit abstract, but I quite like it. I've made a conscious effort to make it clean and minimal.

As for the text, I wanted something with serif's that wasn't too modern. Unfortunately I've never found my initials very good to work with as monograms etc.

Had a bit more time to devote to this today and had a bit more of a play.

LOGO.jpg

I'm quite happy with it as a starting point, and I see some exciting possibilities with expanding it.

CARD.jpg

I'm having a good think on the sort of illustrations I want to create for the reverse of the card. I'm thinking of doing three or four variations that are all done in the same style with a central theme. But I haven't decide on a theme yet.
I definitely want the orange to feature heavily as, for impact. So it makes sense to use the colour as a link. So obvious subjects would be tigers, tropical fish (clownfish in particular), foxes. I know they are all animal related! I don't think the subject of the illustrations are all that important, the style and impact are the major factors I think. The images can almost be random.

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Hi Ken,

Out of interest have you tried running your text onto two lines? So the name in line with the top sections of the symbol, Ken Reynolds, then Design on the bottom line as it is currently but obviously moved along to start where Ken is currently, so 'Design' fits in under the letters 'Ken Rey'... and finishes before the y in your surname?

Just wondering if the complete logo is a touch too long, which may limit what you can do with it on various applications?

HTH
Greg

Thanks for replying.

It's a little freaky really because, this concern surfaced in my thinking today as well.

I've come up with an illustration concept for the back of the cards that necessitates changing the orientation. When looking at this I thought the logo would be too long and make the overall logo too small.

I'll be looking at that soon, plus I hope to post the results of my illustrative idea.

Great minds and all that... ;) look forward to seeing the results of that Ken, will be interesting to see if it works across the two lines, in line with the two levels of the symbol.

Krey20 said:
LOGO.jpg

I'm quite happy with it as a starting point, and I see some exciting possibilities with expanding it.

CARD.jpg

Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Much prefer the type on this version, a lot more contemporary and real.
well done

I like it. I personally would like to see less of a void in between the logo and the contact information, other than that looks good...really like the orange.

Here's the stacked version of the logo. I had to open up the gaps between the squares a little so the type could breathe a bit.

LOGOSAMPLE.jpg

I'm very happy with it.
I've gone on to do one version of my card.

CARDSAMPLE-1.jpg

I decided to make my own playing card suit. This is the only one I've completed, but I plan to do the Queen, King and Ace for the back of my business cards. I like the idea so much that I'm planning to go on and do the whole suit as a portfolio piece.

I must admit this has been the most fun I've had developing self promotion, and I can't wait to carry on through to a new web portfolio layout.

Any comments are appreciated.

That's cool - good idea! (also like the fact you've incorporated the logo icon into the card)... It's moved on really well since you first posted!

Hi Ken,

I really like this too! I think the new logo looks cool, and IMO works better than the longer version as it has more flexibility as you're finding out I think :)

Love the idea of the playing cards for your business cards, really original, shows your creativity as well as technical design & illustration skills, great work! Look forward to seeing the others.

Greg

YES! This is what makes design forums so amazing...quick feedback. This looks a lot better, I love the new look at the playing card idea is great...really sweet stuff. With this portrait layout the space doesn't bother me as much now so this was a good idea.

Thanks for your comments, all the way through in fact. Your comments have helped a great deal.

I've had a busy weekend trying to lock down the illustrations for the back of the cards.
Here are the results.
CARDBACKSAMPLES.jpg

I over the moon with them. It's been a while since I've felt so good about a piece of design I've completed for myself.
I decided to call the suit "pixels" As in the "Queen of pixels" etc.
I'll be continuing the idea through to the end by doing the rest of the cards 2-10, maybe a card back design and a couple of jokers as well. I'm hoping to use the completed project as good bookends for the front and back pages of my re-developed physical portfolio.

Any further comments would be great.

Hi Ken, really liking them, the only thing that I think could do with a bit more attention would be the wink on the queen as to me it looks a bit like she's been poked in the eye & is injured rather than winking (presuming that's the idea). I think you've come up with a really good idea here and carried it out well.

HOW THE HECK DID YOU MAKE THOSE CARDS?! All from scratch???????

Wow. Love that typeface. What is it? Hated the first type!

:D Good job
:clap:

They look great Ken, nice job!!
As twbcf mentioned I think the Queen's wink could be altered slightly, and I also thought the King's hand could move up onto the mighty mouse a bit more, as on first glance I thought it was a CD for some strange reason, other than those minor points they look really cool.

Have you thought about getting some boxes printed up too... how good would a set be to give out at Christmas to your best clients!! ...apart from expensive lol

I'm not very sure about the color scheme you've chosen, it conveys a rather old and boring image - ever thought about using lighter or more shades of color?

Light blue, for instance.

Back