New Here

sprout

That is one of their programs, pretty sure the newest one is designer pro x...... windows only again so still pretty useless for you but in all honesty you're not missing much when you have things like affinity available.
Yes, I have the all the Affinity software and so far, it is proving to be very good. May well yet prove to be a giant killer. Needs a bit more development, but it is not a million miles away from being a good rival to Adobe. I have done a couple of small jobs in Affinity Publisher, this far, but most of my clients in publishing still require InDesign, so I have to stick with Adobe for the time being. The plan is to run the two side by side, using Affinity, for closed jobs, ie where the client doesn’t need working files, just final pdfs.

Gypsy

Okay lets start over, I'm Gypsy and am from Michigan USA basically a old man who enjoys graphic and website design. If I have offended I apologize, but I belong to other forums for other subjects and the first thing people want to know is what software you are using to do what you do. So yes when it was suggested that I was a spammer my hackles rose. Apologies all around.

Now for a quick history lesson, xara began life as CorelXARA back in the 1990's and was around as such for 5 years, that is where Corel Draw got some of their best ideas as CorelXARA is when I began using xara it was strictly a graphics program and at that point was ahead of its time. In 2000 xara went its separate way with a new product Xara X at one point xara incorporated web design into their product.
All I can find is one made by magix software: xara web designer pro.
Web designer pro is a pared down version of Designer pro X and has no graphics capabilities it is strictly for web design and yes there are templates for it but there is no need to use templates as you can design from the ground up. Designer pro X is their full blown package and that is what I use although I own both. Designer pro X may do web design but what it excels at is graphics and that is mainly what I use it for although for my simple mind I created my website with it and it is hundreds of pages long.

I looked up this Sparkle that Sprout mentioned as I am willing to try anything new especially since I am just a beginner at coding websites, alas it is for Mac so of no use to me. One of the things I want to learn how to do is create a form in html as xara does not do this only able to put a form in a placeholder so I use jotform and hate it, besides it is very expensive just to have a form on one of my pages. So any suggestions on good place to learn how to create a form page would be greatly appreciated. I used to have Dreamweaver and if I remember correctly it did forms so I was going to get it again but it is now Cloud based and a monthly subscription instead of owning the program and that is not what I want. I hate programs that have gone subscription.

What I would really like is a program like Dreamweaver where you can switch back and forth between wysiwyg and code as I think that would help me learn code as I could see examples in action of the code and be able to add code and see what it did in wysiwyg this is not possible in xara and that is one thing I especially do not like. Any suggestions of a program like the old Dreamweaver where you can switch back and forth between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Again especially to Levi my apologies!

scotty

Staff member
Okay lets start over, I'm Gypsy and am from Michigan USA basically a old man who enjoys graphic and website design. If I have offended I apologize, but I belong to other forums for other subjects and the first thing people want to know is what software you are using to do what you do. So yes when it was suggested that I was a spammer my hackles rose. Apologies all around.

Now for a quick history lesson, xara began life as CorelXARA back in the 1990's and was around as such for 5 years, that is where Corel Draw got some of their best ideas as CorelXARA is when I began using xara it was strictly a graphics program and at that point was ahead of its time. In 2000 xara went its separate way with a new product Xara X at one point xara incorporated web design into their product.

Web designer pro is a pared down version of Designer pro X and has no graphics capabilities it is strictly for web design and yes there are templates for it but there is no need to use templates as you can design from the ground up. Designer pro X is their full blown package and that is what I use although I own both. Designer pro X may do web design but what it excels at is graphics and that is mainly what I use it for although for my simple mind I created my website with it and it is hundreds of pages long.

I looked up this Sparkle that Sprout mentioned as I am willing to try anything new especially since I am just a beginner at coding websites, alas it is for Mac so of no use to me. One of the things I want to learn how to do is create a form in html as xara does not do this only able to put a form in a placeholder so I use jotform and hate it, besides it is very expensive just to have a form on one of my pages. So any suggestions on good place to learn how to create a form page would be greatly appreciated. I used to have Dreamweaver and if I remember correctly it did forms so I was going to get it again but it is now Cloud based and a monthly subscription instead of owning the program and that is not what I want. I hate programs that have gone subscription.

What I would really like is a program like Dreamweaver where you can switch back and forth between wysiwyg and code as I think that would help me learn code as I could see examples in action of the code and be able to add code and see what it did in wysiwyg this is not possible in xara and that is one thing I especially do not like. Any suggestions of a program like the old Dreamweaver where you can switch back and forth between the two would be greatly appreciated.

Again especially to Levi my apologies!
I get you on the subscription model. I HATE IT! :(

I only really use Illustrator, a bit of Photoshop and After Effects.
I'be been seriously considering the move to Affinity and I think as soon as I can get my head around how Designer integrates with After Effects then I will.

Can't really help on the web side of the software as it isn't really my thing.

BTW. Glad you didn't take offence from what Levi said.
We do get a hell of a lot of spammers on here who get more and more clever but I hope we can draw a line under that as I think you passed and glad to still have you on board. :D

Gypsy

By the way the key word in my introduction is enjoy graphic and website design, I am not like many on here who do it for a living, it is a hobby. I am disabled so can not do much but am able to use a computer with no problems so that is how I spend most of my time. My biggest joy is the graphic design although my design is very basic and simple. I have done logos for some local companies but 99% of my work is for myself just for the pure joy of doing it.

scotty

Staff member
You don't need to be a Pro to be a member here Gypsy and nobody will think less of you if you're not.

You said "old man"?

I'm 50 although I have the body of a 25 year old (cough...sniff). ;)

I was having a conversation just now about what you need to succeed in design and I feel it's the passion to design things before the education and the $.

Gypsy

Probably will never have the education or the $ but I do have the passion, passion or not one thing I lack is talent and being able to think outside the box that is why my designs are very basic and simple, but there is a old maxim K.I.S.S. and that is what all I do is simple.

fisicx

If you want to add a form to the page you really need to learn a bit of php. You need this to validate and process the form. Everything else is just plain old HTML. There are loads of online tutorials on how to do this.

It’s worth pointing out that using any CMS you life becomes so much simpler. And with something like Wordpress all the heavy lifting is done for you. No heed to faff about building menus, it’s all built into the core code. This leaves you to do all the fun stuff like play with the layout. And if you need a special function there will be a plugin that you can drop straight in.

Like you I used to hand code sites but after playing with Wordpress I realised It was much simpler to use a database driven core to manage content leaving me to play with the CSS. And because I learnt PHP along the way I’ve discovered all sorts of magic.

Levi

Staff member
Yes, I have the all the Affinity software and so far, it is proving to be very good. May well yet prove to be a giant killer. Needs a bit more development, but it is not a million miles away from being a good rival to Adobe. I have done a couple of small jobs in Affinity Publisher, this far, but most of my clients in publishing still require InDesign, so I have to stick with Adobe for the time being. The plan is to run the two side by side, using Affinity, for closed jobs, ie where the client doesn’t need working files, just final pdfs.
Yeah, while I don't personally use it at present (on pc, but currently seeing how much 'subscription' stuff I can ditch) it is what I would class as the closest to an industry standard alternative to adobe if you get me

@Gypsy NP, as I said I wasn't 100% certain so as usual I give benefit of the doubt until I am sure. I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

If you want to try some alternatives, you might have guessed affinity software is well regarded, I'd also throw in krita (it's free), it's a freehand sketching program ala corel painter, to the mix as well.

Gypsy

Since I am new here here is a logo I did for TJ's Bike and moped in xara please give opinion and critique. Tjs.jpg He wanted something with flames and this is what I came up with.

sprout

Honestly, it’s far too complex for a logo. I would suggest simplifying the flames – if you have to have them at all. Sometimes just because a client says they want something, doesn’t mean they know what’s best.

Reduce it down to a business card size and you will see a lot of the elements will visually merge, especially the type. Also the amount of colours and gradients involved are not always a good idea from a print production standpoint. You need to be able to reduce it to a single colour for certain applications. Will it still look like flames?

Also, the choice of font is a little odd. A more legible one – and one suited to the subject matter – would help. Kerning and word spacing needs looking at. This looks like a free font to me – not the most balanced and well put together.

Finally, the relationship between the three elements is a little disjointed.

If your client insists on the flame thing, perhaps look at past examples of this genre - custom cars, hot rods, etc and see how they work.

Sorry, this is not meant to sound like an assassination, but there are quite a few things wrong with it in my opinion, I’m afraid.

You’ll find people around here will always try to help, but what you will usually get is an honest, professional opinion, even if it is not such the easiest thing to hear.

Hope this helps and is not too disheartenin.

Levi

Staff member
Honestly it looks like a football and I'd have no idea it relates to a bike/moped shop if it wasn't for the text.

The text has alignment issues, spacing, kerning and legibility issues if I'm being honest.

In all honesty I wouldn't have taken your route and I wouldn't have submitted your image to them because to me it doesn't fit the client other than 'it has flames'

Gypsy

After each of your remarks I also am seeing the problems the kerning makes TJBM look like NBM did not notice that on my own. So you are both right as for the design of the logo itself his two specifications were a wheel and flames hence the circular shape with flames. I haven't submitted it to TJ yet and will keep working on it as I have till summer to come up with something for him. In exchange for doing a logo for TJ he is taking two of my old wheel chairs and is building me a custom wheel chair that I can use in our local 5k race so am hoping to create something nice for him. as we are friends. As to using one color I definitely see what you mean after I read your comment I went back and made it just black, when just in black & white you are right doesn't look a lot like flames. As to it looking like a football at first I was thinking is he nuts then remembered that this is a UK site and you are talking about a soccer ball, to me being in the USA a football is oblong not a circle. So you are right it could be a "football" where as I was thinking a wheel. Back to the drawing board. Thanks

scotty

Staff member
I wouldn't go back to the drawing board. It's a solid concept and just needs refining and some work.

The soccer ball (LOL!) is a bit busy although quite well crafted and the typeface is a bit fussy for me personally.
It's not that legible especially on the sub line.
Remember the K.I.S.S rule!

As for the kerning, it is too tight for the TJBM.
I often say a good trick with kerning is to look at the letters/word upside down.
It forces you not to read it and to see it as shapes instead which are easier to balance.

Levi

Staff member
As to it looking like a football at first I was thinking is he nuts then remembered that this is a UK site and you are talking about a soccer ball, to me being in the USA a football is oblong not a circle.
Don't worry most of the UK find it strange you call it (American) football when a large portion of the time the ball is nowhere near their feet, especially when probably our closest sport is called rugby lol

As to making it more 'wheel like' take a look on google (search for flaming wheel) for inspiration but most of them seem to have a clear tyre and central 'hub' or alloy wheel showing in the design. You also maybe want to limit the number of colours and ideally gradients because if this ever gets printed it can get costly, let alone if you wanted to have it sewn onto a uniform...

Last edited:

fisicx

Consider separating the logo part from the name of the business. In other words have two components that can be used independently.

hankscorpio

Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

Personally, I don't care what software you use, as long as it's set up correctly, and the output is good and what you expect and works - then who cares!

I once created a car log book, for a very well known car manufacturer, in MS Publisher! Why? Because that's what they wanted.

It was printed in its millions in and sits in glove boxes all around the world - and not one person who picks it up would even think themselves, "What software did they use here?"

Is there better software? Yes! But I guess that's subjective. Well, industry-standard software aside, which I would say is Adobe. Everything else is a crapshoot :p