New Here

Gypsy

Just like to introduce myself I'm Gypsy and am from Michigan USA basically a old man who enjoys graphic and website design. I use Xara software for most of my graphic and website design, have used others but find that I think that it is the best all around software. Hoping that by joining this forum, that others can teach this old dog new tricks.

scotty

Staff member
Hey Gypsy.

Welcome to the forums.

I've never heard of Xara before? Is it any good?

Maybe this old dog could learn a new trick? ;)

Gypsy

In my humble opinion the best all around software, best for vector graphics, does 3D fairly well, works well with bitmaps and photos, easiest & best Wysiwyg web design. Don't want to post a link as just joined but google xara and download the free trial you will be amazed! By the way thanks for the welcome Scotty almost forgot does animation well

fisicx

I used xara once many years ago. Web design has moved on a lot and site builder applications haven’t kept up. Use a CMS to build websites, far more effective.

anyhow, welcome to the forums.

Levi

Staff member
I've never heard of Xara before? Is it any good?
I have.... they're basically another UK software company similar to the 'old' serif, with free trial software on magazines... essentially it wasn't very good.

And in all honesty I'm a little suspect about this post because of the second reply and in all honesty it's not like software that incredibly popular these days....
So I checked the IP and it looks like it's coming from a (by the looks of it) UK owned datacentre (ie vpn) in kansas.... hmm

I will leave it for now but spidey sense is tingling....

Gypsy

I have.... they're basically another UK software company similar to the 'old' serif, with free trial software on magazines... essentially it wasn't very good.

And in all honesty I'm a little suspect about this post because of the second reply and in all honesty it's not like software that incredibly popular these days....
So I checked the IP and it looks like it's coming from a (by the looks of it) UK owned datacentre (ie vpn) in kansas.... hmm

I will leave it for now but spidey sense is tingling....
What was wrong with my second post? I honestly gave Scotty my opinion of xara I happen to like it a lot. No it is not like the "old serif" I used to use the "old serif" and they are nothing alike. As for vpn yes I use one and it shouldn't come back Kansas it should have come back Dallas Texas for ip address even then I gave my true location which is in Michigan. I could understand being jumped on right off the bat had I posted a link to xara's site but I refrained being a new comer. I don't know what your favorite software is as you didn't extend the courtesy of suggesting something that you personally think is better. I have tried and use several programs and just because a software is not the most popular does not mean it is junk. Another thing just because I suggested Scotty give the free trial a try means nothing I did not twist his arm to buy it, it would be up to him to decide if it were useful to him. As I stated in my first post I joined this Forum in hopes that experienced individuals could teach this old dog new tricks. As for your "spidey sense" it sounds to me like you are kind of "senseless" and you being a moderator can probably boot me from this forum for stating my opinion and if you do you will just show me what kind of person you really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gypsy

Truthfully don't know why the forum posted my reply twice, Edited it by adding one sentence and saved and it posted the whole thing a second time. Sorry but feelings are the same either way!!!!!

Levi

Staff member
What was wrong with my second post? I honestly gave Scotty my opinion of xara I happen to like it a lot. No it is not like the "old serif" I used to use the "old serif" and they are nothing alike. As for vpn yes I use one and it shouldn't come back Kansas it should have come back Dallas Texas for ip address even then I gave my true location which is in Michigan. I could understand being jumped on right off the bat had I posted a link to xara's site but I refrained being a new comer. I don't know what your favorite software is as you didn't extend the courtesy of suggesting something that you personally think is better. I have tried and use several programs and just because a software is not the most popular does not mean it is junk. Another thing just because I suggested Scotty give the free trial a try means nothing I did not twist his arm to buy it, it would be up to him to decide if it were useful to him. As I stated in my first post I joined this Forum in hopes that experienced individuals could teach this old dog new tricks. As for your "spidey sense" it sounds to me like you are kind of "senseless" and you being a moderator can probably boot me from this forum for stating my opinion and if you do you will just show me what kind of person you really are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you've been on forums long enough you get a sense for the way people post 'spam' posts, hence spidey sense and in all honesty yours is very similar to the way a lot of posts are being done now, it isn't just a case of newbie posting a link. A lot are more like a first post where it's basically 'hey new member here, looking to join in etc, I found program x, it's really good, you should give it a go'..... a little while later we get another new member pop up saying yeah it's good etc, throws in a link etc.

As to the vpn and you giving your 'true location'.....Um by using a vpn it isn't the same is it...

I didn't suggest software because I don't need to, I only refer to software in topics which actually ask for suggestions and then I give multiple options for the poster to choose from, if you would like some suggestions, please feel free to start a thread asking for alternatives where I'll be happy to reply with suggestions (none of which will be xara).

Actually the fact I left your post should say more about the 'kind of person I really am', if I was 100% sure you wouldn't have been replying.... but honestly if you're that 'upset' that you need to try and insult a moderator then maybe it's more about a moderator spotting your attempt at promoting a company (ie spam) so quickly rather than the fact I raised concerns....

fisicx

Spider sense notwithstanding, wysiwyg is just about the worst way to build a website.

Have a play with Wordpress, you will be amazed at the huge range of themes and plugins.

fisicx

Also worth pointing out that animations on a website should be avoided as far as possible.

Gypsy

When you've been on forums long enough you get a sense for the way people post 'spam' posts, hence spidey sense and in all honesty yours is very similar to the way a lot of posts are being done now, it isn't just a case of newbie posting a link. A lot are more like a first post where it's basically 'hey new member here, looking to join in etc, I found program x, it's really good, you should give it a go'..... a little while later we get another new member pop up saying yeah it's good etc, throws in a link etc.

As to the vpn and you giving your 'true location'.....Um by using a vpn it isn't the same is it...

I didn't suggest software because I don't need to, I only refer to software in topics which actually ask for suggestions and then I give multiple options for the poster to choose from, if you would like some suggestions, please feel free to start a thread asking for alternatives where I'll be happy to reply with suggestions (none of which will be xara).

Actually the fact I left your post should say more about the 'kind of person I really am', if I was 100% sure you wouldn't have been replying.... but honestly if you're that 'upset' that you need to try and insult a moderator then maybe it's more about a moderator spotting your attempt at promoting a company (ie spam) so quickly rather than the fact I raised concerns....
First off I did not insult a moderator I stated my opinion of your "spidey sense" if you take that as an insult once again! As for the software I didn't just find it been using it for a long time! When it comes to wysiwyg I would have to agree with fisicx if you are a coder I am not I tried word press for the blog on my website I personally couldn't get the blog to work. My whole website which is several hundred pages long was created wysiwyg I understand how to create vector and how to move graphics and text around page. My hopes of joining forum is to learn other ways than that. For what little I do know about coding I use a program you most likely are familiar with and its totally free, it is notepad++ and I am just beginning to learn how to use it. My website has no animation on it I just stated that my software does it personally I'm not into animation as what little I've done was very simple and child like. Simple mind. I am sure there are some very accomplished people on this forum when it comes to website design, when I looked around before I joined I thought maybe I could Learn something here. I may be old and not very intelligent, but am a willing pupil if given the chance. I did not join to spam in other forums I belong to it is customary to tell what software you use so that others understand where you are coming from when you ask a question, I introduced myself and stated what software I use and that I like what it does the first reply from Scotty said he had never heard of it and that he replied to me that maybe he could learn new trick so I described to him what it does, If that is spamming I guess you might as well ban me now!!!

Levi

Staff member
First off I did not insult a moderator I stated my opinion of your "spidey sense" if you take that as an insult once again!
You might want to read your last line again..... that comes across as very much trying to insult or belittle me. Luckily for you that doesn't bother me but I will call you out on it.

Gypsy

No more an insult than you insinuating I am a spammer on my second when all I was doing was introducing myself and describing how and what I use that is insulting! It would be different if I was posting all over the forum and truthfully spamming but I never had a chance to post my first question or post outside introduction before you labeled me as a spammer that is a insult.

sprout

No more an insult than you insinuating I am a spammer on my second when all I was doing was introducing myself and describing how …
For goodness sake. Draw a line. Please.

You must understand that forums like this get a lot of spammers, so that moderators are super-aware of it these days, should not be a huge surprise. To have interest piqued by a post that seemingly uses a similar method to spammers, is not a personal insult. Levi is only doing what he is supposed to and protecting the integrity of this place for the rest of us.

Can we please move on and not turn this into a bun fight. Let’s just assume no personal insult was intended.

sprout

Spider sense notwithstanding, wysiwyg is just about the worst way to build a website.

Have a play with Wordpress, you will be amazed at the huge range of themes and plugins.
I would definitely agree for larger sites. I would just go straight to a developer and work collaboratively with them. Not a huge fan of wordpress though and friends I know who run servers are not either. Too many holes apparently.

There are a couple of decent wysiwyg and semi-wysiwyg builders out there for smaller, brochure-type sites. One of the best I’ve come across (I did a lot of research when adobe ditched Muse), despite the slightly cringey name, is one called Sparkle. I have tried it on a couple of smaller sites in test and it is not half bad and entirely flexible, ie not confined to templates (which are my personal pet-peeve – don’t get me started on the wix/squarespace school of wysiwyg template site builders).

with Sparkle, you can put together adaptive (though not fully responsive) sites, with up to five breakpoints. Works pretty well. I did look at ones like, Rapidweaver, Webflow, Mobirise, etc. Rapidweaver was not too bad, but more complex and a bit more rigid. At that point, I’d rather get a developer involved. Too many other things to do and not enough time to do them as it is. I did learn html/css and some php, but decided life was too short. For me to be able to put together a small site for a client that doesn‘t have developer money and doesn’t need an extensive site is necessary, Muse was great. I was gutted when they dumped it. Sparkle has filled that hole fairly well. Not as feature rich, but equally not as over-bloated code wise, as Muse was.

I’ve never heard of this Xara software and never came across it when I was researching Muse alternatives. Just out of curiosity, I will give it a look.

sprout

Just out of curiosity, I will give it a look.
Just did. On first glance, it appears to be yet another of those, ‘customisable’ template site builders. Oh god, I feel a rant coming on! ‘No … must not … stop it … ’

Levi

Staff member
Just did. On first glance, it appears to be yet another of those, ‘customisable’ template site builders. Oh god, I feel a rant coming on! ‘No … must not … stop it … ’
No no no... you picked the wrong one from the google search.... it's not the online one he's referring to, he's referring to the full program you download in the first two posts which funnily enough shows pretty low in the google searches (at in least mine) these days seeing as they've moved to an online model recently.

fisicx

Matters not. Anything wysiwyg should be avoided unless it’s a hobby site. If you are building a business site or anything vaguely commercial avoid all site builder applications.

wordpress was mentioned as being full of holes. It used to be, it’s not any more. Problems only occur if the site is poorly configured or full of plugins.

@Gypsy, instead of notepad++ try Brackets for Mac or Visual Studio for Windows.

sprout

No no no... you picked the wrong one from the google search....
All I can find is one made by magix software: xara web designer pro. If it is, it is windows based only, so i wouldn’t be able to download It to look at it anyway. If it is this, it does seem to be a ’downloadable template‘ kind of thing anyway.

Levi

Staff member
All I can find is one made by magix software: xara web designer pro. If it is, it is windows based only, so i wouldn’t be able to download It to look at it anyway. If it is this, it does seem to be a ’downloadable template‘ kind of thing anyway.
That is one of their programs, pretty sure the newest one is designer pro x...... windows only again so still pretty useless for you but in all honesty you're not missing much when you have things like affinity available.