New greetings card range payment options.

Thewholehogg

So am about to undertake a whole load of illustrations for a greetings card company based in the south of England....
I'm getting the costs/details finalized. I'm asking for set payment cost per card (there's 11 in the range) with 50% in advance.

They have given me the option of part payment and part revenue share....does anyone have experience of this?.
Which is the best way to go. In the past I've just taken payment.

Thanks people.

Let me know where you go with this Typo, I've got a similar situation with a rather large bunch of book illustrations.

I recon it probably comes down to how well you think the range will sell. I'd say the safest route is normally payment... But you'd kick yourself if they turned out to sell and sell and sell for years...

Having said that, if the client has offered you part revenue share then they're probably doing so believing that'd be cheaper for them (ie, not wanting to spend too much paying you if the cards don't do so well).

I've not often heard of being offered a mix of payment and revenue share... if the cards sell like hotcakes (or really popular cards) this might work out well for you mate. If not, you've still had a chunk of payment.

That £10 doesn't include my 25% agency fee, 20% collection fee or 17.5% Southern Softees Negotiation fee. ( VAT at current rate)

No previous experience myself Typo but my thoughts are that if they value that revenue share highly they wouldn't be so willing to share, clearly they feel they may get a better deal this way or perhaps they see it as a way to spread payment.

Bit of a gamble either way I guess but personally I'd want to know what I'm getting out of it and so would go with the fixed payment.

One of my clients has done work on a percentage basis and they're not exactly rolling in it from their experience.

I know what I'd try for and that's a percentage taking with a minimum guaranteed payment (within a set period of time) equal to the remaining 50% so you won't come off at a loss.... IF they're confident in their sales capability then they should be fine and you may get a better pay day :)

Cheers peps. I'm talking with the client tomorrow.
Still planning on pushing for full payment on completion of job.
I'll let you know.

I'd go for the full payment if you can.
I've heard of lots of designers who've agreed on royalties and never seen a penny.

There is a group on the net Greeting Card Illustrators UK and between them they've probably worked for most of the card companies and can give you plenty of advice.

scotty said:
I'd go for the full payment if you can.
I've heard of lots of designers who've agreed on royalties and never seen a penny.

There is a group on the net Greeting Card Illustrators UK and between them they've probably worked for most of the card companies and can give you plenty of advice.

Cheers peeps...pushing for full payment 50% in advance.
The more I hear about royalty payments the less I like it.

It might work for Pink Floyd but not for me. Humf!

Back