Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New freelancer - needs advice!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by pyjamaturtle, Jan 21, 2015.

1. pyjamaturtle

pyjamaturtle New Member

Hi folks, found the forum today & its great.
    I've been a tame freelancer for an agency doing graphic & digital design for a number of years but have recently been let go so am out in the wild looking for new work.

Do any of you guys use the creative recruitment agencies in London to find work?

I joined a few before Christmas (FutureHeads, Profiles, SourceLF, Nakama), all seemed to say the right things and thought they would all be able to place me - but not a sausage.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on goods ones?

Am getting pretty worried coming to feb and thinking of going for full time if things stay this quiet.

Any advice would be great
    Thanks
    PT

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I've never used recruiters, though I only freelance in-house for a couple of studios, most of my work is for my own clients. Probably best to get out there and find your own clients. I wouldn't rely on someone else to bring in work as there's no guarantee you'll get anything.

Stationery Direct likes this.
  3. PriyeshDesign

PriyeshDesign Member

Hi there, looking for new work is incredibly competitive depending on your experience and portfolio, so just make sure you are selling yourself with confidence.

Another good recruitment-style agency is Creativepool. You may also find LinkedIn advertises creative jobs as well.

Most agencies, studios and companies prefer to hire full-time creative people for their in-house team, rather than outsource work or external communications, particularly when budget and time is taken under consideration.

Research your competitors - What are they doing? How are they doing it? What do they have that you don't have? How are they selling their services? What self-branding have they got? etc.

As Paul Murray said, keep your options open to become self-employed if your luck is looking grim.

4. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I cant really workout if you're using the word freelance appropriately or not?

My definition of a freelance designer is one who works on a self employed basis servicing one or more clients and invoices the client for that work. If a designer receive payment on a PAYE basis (ie, the company stop them tax and insurance) then they're employed rather than freelance.

By the very nature of freelance, you're essentially always looking for work but recruitment agencies wouldn't be the place you'd normally look. They tend to cater for people looking for employed positions rather than freelancers finding new contracts.

5. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

Hi I have been freelancing for four years now and I live in London, I have close relationships with my recruitment agencies and 85% of my work comes from recruiters. You have to be massively pro active and it is difficult. but a great choice and I really love my job and I get to work on amazing brands all the time so don't give up :) Do you have a website? I'll happily take a look and offer advice. I have helped loads of people get into freelancing because for me i think its the best way to work :) and it totally hasn't always been this easy, at the start finding work was difficult but I'm always booked now. You really just have to be the right personality for freelancing, extremely flexible and understand that, chasing, bugging and networking are a big part of the job, its more than just being a good designer :)

6. The Northerner

The Northerner New Member

In a similar position to you mate really relatyively new to lancing. Was long term employed and 'let go' doing the old applying for jobs via the internet no dice. So opted for agencies. You get on their books but
    nothing comes through. A mate of mine recommended NAKAMA to me, I know they are mainly digital but have given me some good short term contracts. Have you been in to speak with anyone or is it all over
    email and telephone. Cannot recommend enough getting an appoinment to actually do face to face. As 'Moominbaby' said it is about your persona too and building a relationship with your contact there. It is a sell
    yourself affair really. I have been lucky and had work from friends and associates I knew from my last job. The work isn't consistent enough so at a crossroads really. I know I need to start being more proactive and
    getting my face in front of people. Do contact your agents daily and update your folio as often as possible along with your CV, that is a good excuse to contact your agent. Linked in is another useful tool as some
    current positions are posted on there.

Have you set up with any umbrella companies, providing that is the route you go down?