New design, critique and advise!

vivajustice

Alright, redesigned my site and moved it over to wordpress for easier cms. This is the second site i have ever done (self taught as i went along!) so chances are there is a few things to iron out.
Any tips or recommendations on what i can do to improve it? And what do you think of the overall design? I tried to keep it simple and straight to the point.
http://www.sjtplastering.co.uk
Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Hi there,

it's a little spacious? Like, there's an awful lot of white space around the place. White space is good, but maybe you need to look at adjusting it as it's knocking the flow of the content off for me.
It feels really bland? There's not an awful lot to the site. I'd try and get some more words on the front page, get some more content up. And if you wanted a CMS, then I'd assume you're going to run an up to date blog. And that means, I would filter your most recent blog posts to your home page!
I'll have a look around it.

Tony

Tony, thanks for the response.
Yeah i kinda thought that too! I need to find more content to put on my home page, kinda dont want to use my blog posts as i am keeping them separate as a news portal etc... The white space is from the lack of content i suppose as well!
To be fair its a work in progress as i will update it and fiddle with it over time, so at least what you have said has given me a target to update!

good choice with the 'responsive' layout, it's got a few issues though, if you scale the site to around 600pixels wide the menu overlaps before changing to the drop down at the 400 range.
Got to agree theres maybe too much white space on my desktop but when I scaled it down to a smaller width it seemed ok, so maybe scale is part of the issue as well as lack of content.
Is there any way you could add in more colour to the top half, the bottom half has a strong grey with a fair few links etc while the top is quite stark and minimalist in contrast

Also your logo background also isn't white, it's got a light grey tint to it.

Levi said:
good choice with the 'responsive' layout, it's got a few issues though, if you scale the site to around 600pixels wide the menu overlaps before changing to the drop down at the 400 range.
Got to agree theres maybe too much white space on my desktop but when I scaled it down to a smaller width it seemed ok, so maybe scale is part of the issue as well as lack of content.
Is there any way you could add in more colour to the top half, the bottom half has a strong grey with a fair few links etc while the top is quite stark and minimalist in contrast

Also your logo background also isn't white, it's got a light grey tint to it.
Thats strange on the logo having a grey tint? i exported the png with transparant background? is there a reason why it may of done this?

Back