New Cartoon Logo Design by Cartoon Logo Designer

Hi all

I have finally got around to designing my own cartoon logo (better late than never). This is what I have created. The pen and writing is hand drawn converted to vector then digitally edited with the background.
I have another version just with the word 'LOGOS' to use for smaller graphic purposes.

What do you think?

mylogo1.png

Hello.
I'll be honest, the colours are basic, the background triangle seems a bit random and the yellow splat (custard? or is it meant to be ink?) all feel a bit rushed.
Then to top it all there's a nice drop shadow on it too.
--
I would also say that posting it on any relevent thread is a bit much, but happy to stand down if other members disagree.

I think cartoon logos look a little amateur/cliparty if I am honest, although they do have their place. I have to agree with the above comments...could be improved.

I'm in agreement with the above posts. I think the blue/purple colour being carried on into the characters eyes are making him look a bit crazy, the colours are quite childish looking, and I think you might find that triangle quite difficult when placing the logo onto things like a website or literature, it could create some really awkward spaces around it.

If that logo went small, I think the text would also be really difficult to read.

To be fair, I think that the cartoons on your website are great. You've got a nice style which is very popular.
However, although the others are being a little harsh, they are mostly correct. The illustration side is fine but the design side is lacking.

You do have to consider how this would look on many mediums as well as different sizes. If it was me, I'd mellow down the red or change it, lighten the blue or change it completely. Try a few colour schemes, perhaps put it in a circle rather than a triangle and make the splat look a little more interesting.

If you squint at it through narrowed eyes most of the detail is lost. It needs contrast.

I still like your cartoons though :icon_biggrin:

I get your points re the media issues, but you have to be aware this is'MY' logo and so I know where it will be used and it is suitable for the purpose. I don't print out my logo on anything and I don't even need it for my website.

I should perhaps have explained what I do need it for! It is simply to use on dorectory sites which allow space for a logo, usually the space is large enough for this type of image to be viewed clearly, but i have another version with just the word 'LOGOS' which is larger and clearer.

Regarding the colours
Blue and yellow are the most noticeable colours when it comes to attracting attention Lots of research has been done into colours which attract the eye and why use colours that do a poor job in that regard? Red..speaks for itsellf.

That's the purpose of my logo, to stand out in the minor medium I need to use it.

Re the style of graphic. I understand you chaps feeling that way it is afterall not what you do or perhaps can offer to clients, but it has it's place and is popular within certain industries where technical samey samey images are everywhere and people want something different and a cartoon fits. They are 'clipart' in style because they are vector and need to be scaled up for window and vehicle graphics etc.

Thank you for your critique much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Oky doky, it certainly helps us to know how the logo will be used and that you may not need it for printing on business cards or putting on your website, but I still think there are some perfectly valid comments made regarding the logo shown.

The colours blue and yellow may be most noticable, but I would like to see the research done that would condone you using them on everything, I mean, if this was the case, why do we ever use any other colours? Surely one of the points of any piece of design is to attract attention? It's all about context and also how they are used alongside each other. In this case, they seem the obvious choice, but I'm not sure these particular ones are the most perfect conclusion. It may just be a matter of the tone of the colours, for example I think this pallette (from adobe kuler) works better, and still uses red and blue:

33ldvd4.jpg

Just because something gets your attention doesn't mean it has got it for the right reasons, and what decisions or conclusions the mind comes to once the attention has been grabbed will be strongly influenced by the colours too. It could go two ways; attention grabbed by colours and then somebody goes "yikes, that's awful" or attention grabbed by colours and somebody goes "wow, that's really nice". Attention grabbing on it's own is not enough.

I understand there is a place for this kind of design, but i do not agree that it has to be "cliparty" in style because it is a vector. Vector images can be extraordinarily realistic, as seen here:

Unbelievable 45 Photo Realistic Vector Artworks

That said, if there is a market for it, of course you shouldn't be swayed away by us to do something that wouldn't fit the end purpose, that would be silly :icon_biggrin:

Last edited:
This is off topic, but to respond to your point re the image you linked to:

I don't see the point in creating digital art that looks like a digital photo or a manipulated photo, totally pointless.

I am also not concerned about the comments re my 'art' being cliparty because there is a market for it (clearly,as I sell them and so do hundreds of other cartoon logo designers).There are niche markets for all manner of things whether it's to your personal taste or not, it's to someones taste.

I don't just draw in this style, I also paint, do portraits, comic art, digital photo manipulation (fantasy photos and so on) so I can diversify into the other more realistic areas, but I choose to work on this particular niche (I've tried the others and I by far enjoy this more - cartooning is a passion) so for now it's very important I deliver an image that this market demands and this market demands wide eyed (crazy eyed as someone mentioned) large mouthed, small bodied character images...and that is whther I like them or not. :) Does that make sense?

:)

Re the colours, the colours ae totally neccessary for why I want the logo. When my name is listed in a directory with a lot of others providing same service, my colours will pop off the page and draw the eye before the rest do. Simple.

Last edited:
You did request feedback on your logo and you have received fair points from others in the graphic design industry who have varying styles and levels of experience. I sense a defensive tone in your replies.
--
Linziloop linked to the realistic vector drawings to convey their point that vector-based work doesn't have to look 'clip arty'.
--
Well done if you have a market for this style of work - would really like to see examples of all of the other styles and areas of work too.

I wasn't saying you should change your style to something more realistic or even different, I was just saying I didn't agree that it HAD to be this style because it is a vector. This would be misleading to anybody reading this who is just starting out with illustrator and thinks that's what their stuff has to look like. I was merely providing an example of exactly how complicated you can get with vectors.

As for the use for those photo realistic kinds of vectors, of course there is a use. Even with todays camera a photo can only be blown up so big before you start losing quality. If you want to print Angelina Jolie's face on the side of the empire state building then a vector would be an excellent way to go. If you have someone in your design team capable of creating realistic vector images you can create the otherwise impossible and provide a much wider range of options for a clients brief. Certainly not pointless at all.

I understand that you don't mind your images being cliparty, and the valid reasons behind that. What I don't understand it why you would post the image in the forums, asking what we think and then pretty much end with "I don't care what you think". Is there any element of it we could comment on that you would take advice on? So far we have tried colour, design, typography, all of which you don't seem to want to take any advice on or have a reason as to why it absolutely can't be changed...

You did request feedback on your logo and you have received fair points from others in the graphic design industry who have varying styles and levels of experience. I sense a defensive tone in your replies.
--
Linziloop linked to the realistic vector drawings to convey their point that vector-based work doesn't have to look 'clip arty'.
--
Well done if you have a market for this style of work - would really like to see examples of all of the other styles and areas of work too.

I'm responding to the comments and explaining more. I thanked the posters for their critques.:)

Some of my other work can be seen here:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/funkykissdesign

It's all over the place.

And yes there is a market, I draw in this style because I am meeting that markets demands and I evolve accordingly and watch for changing trends.

Last edited:
ps. My next mission re adapting my cartoon style is to create original 3d rendered images, which I am putting off because I enjoy drawing by hand with a pencil and ink. But needs must! So that's the next evolution for me.

PPS. You're right about vector images being more detailed of course...me stupido ;)

I'm eccentric as a person, this doesn't always translate well on forums, but works ok in person ;)

Meanwhile one of my more detailed vector creations, though it was created initially from two of my non digital paintings.

work.7645646.2.cp,375x360,s,ffffff.jpg

I guess I've been messing about with these logos for so long now I've forgotten what else can be done. Oh well.....

Last edited:
Yeah agreed, nice work.

very kind of you :)

But...alas, there is more market mileage in the cartoons that you don't like :)

This is what I mean though...I do what I do because I am trying to mimic an existing market trend and as that market trend changes so will I..hence my other question elsewhere re Manga and anime, but I think the answer lies simply in 3d rendered toons.

Back to the digital drawing board and digital pen for me. Bleuhhh.

I would really like one of those flat screen drawing screens where you draw straight onto screen (rather than a separate pad). Anyone have one of those? Very expensive.

Can I ask why your sole objective is to mimic an existing market? I don't know about everyone else, but every bit of work I do, I try 100% to make it totally different to anything I've seen. Admittedly it's usually only small scale work, but I still have my own style, that I like, that I stick to. My clients happen to like it which is why they come back to me, anyone that doesn't like it can work with someone else.

To me, you have more market mileage in those paintings turned digital. They're beautiful. You'd make more money producing prints and more artistic pieces than the cartoon logos.

Can I ask why your sole objective is to mimic an existing market? I don't know about everyone else, but every bit of work I do, I try 100% to make it totally different to anything I've seen. Admittedly it's usually only small scale work, but I still have my own style, that I like, that I stick to. My clients happen to like it which is why they come back to me, anyone that doesn't like it can work with someone else.

To me, you have more market mileage in those paintings turned digital. They're beautiful. You'd make more money producing prints and more artistic pieces than the cartoon logos.

When I say mimic I don't mean direct copy I mean follow a style. The trend at the moment re cartoon mascots is big eyes, big mouth and small bodies, so little point me creating bean pole type characters that no one wants to buy. My personal style re cartooning is distinctive but I don't use it for the logos and mascots. I have to do what the buying public want.

Meanwhile re the paintings versus the logos, there's more money in the logos and cartoons than the paintings which is why I am doing it.

This cartoon sold for £150.
Simons-reaper-copyr.jpg

I won't get that for a painting! I wish I could...but I can't.

With the cartoons, I can charge absed on useage. I can't do that with a print or a painting, so a cartoon could cost hundreds depending on how it's being used even if it only took an hour to create.

Most people who do cartoon logos charge between £200 and £400. I don't presently, but I will eventually because that is the market price. I have to 'match' the trend for those logos to charge those prices...do you see?

Last edited:
ps. Some cartoon logos (created by the stars in the biz) cost thousands and they are phenomenal...unbelievable talent...it'll take a couple more yrs of study to reach those levels of cartoon design, but thousands is what they sell for.

Their cartoons make me look like an ant. But it is something to aspire to.

ps. Some cartoon logos (created by the stars in the biz) cost thousands and they are phenomenal...unbelievable talent...it'll take a couple more yrs of study to reach those levels of cartoon design, but thousands is what they sell for.

Their cartoons make me look like an ant. But it is something to aspire to.

Are you sure they're logos and not just illustrations for strips, magazines, advertising?

Out of curiosity can you show me some examples of cartoon logos of people that you're competing with?

That cartoon made you £150 - I see no reason why you can't make double that with those digital illustrations - if you show them to the right people. Have you actually tried selling them as digital paintings? Held an exhibition to gauge interest? Shown them to illustration based magazines, forums, people?

Back