new business card designs

BenJonesDesign

Hi all,

After my last attempt at re-branding myself I had another go and finally came up with something I like. I've put together the below business card designs and wanted to see what you guys think.

At the moment I prefer the black based one but could sway.

The idea is that the cards will be matte laminate and have spot uv on the front, spot UV will be applied to the faded symbols in the background (currently shown for viewing purpose, will not be printed just spot uv for effect). Back of card is just matt laminate, no spot UV.

Attachments

• businesscardideas.jpg
    businesscardideas.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 32
I prefer the black ones, they have more impact (white on black always does) however my opinion is they'd be stronger without the faded background patterns. I think they'd struggle to be printed cleanly.

As to the spot UV, well the first thing I thought when I saw the images (without reading the uv bit) was spot UV the white bits on a matt black card..... basically the white bits then pop when hit with light.

I'd also maybe try a cleaner font for the text under the logo on the front side as it might be a bit hard to read as is due to the size it would print on the business card.

PS. I'm still not 100% on your 'B' in the logo, something just isn't sitting quite right for me.

with the faded background patterns do you mean on the front, as those are just showing where spot uv would be added, they wouldn't be printed as colour. If you mean for the back card though I know what you mean, it's something I thought about but just wasn't sure if the design was strong enough without them.

On the spot uv, do you mean to add it to the actual logo? or to add it to the faded imaged with them white or faded?

I may try enlarging the text, run it along the bottom, the font really works for me and ties in with the B in the logo so I'll first try enlarging, then think about alternate fonts but out of all I tried that fitted best.

I know, when I had another look at the B it just looked odd, mainly the middle join, but after looking at it for a bit it just seemed to look fine, and weirdly exactly how I write my Bs. The thing I keep seeing is that it looks as though it should be rotated about 20 degrees clockwise and then distort the top half so the back sat straight to a flat, but that would be to perfect it how ever I think with the way it is it seems to have more character especially with that it's a singular character

The UV - the white bits, ie the 'blob' and the text on the front and back. No 'uv' images on the front or back, just simple uv white and matt black. I just think this would be far stronger statement than your current idea which kind of feels as though spot uv was an after thought rather than an integral part of the design.

If your B is so close to the one you've used, why not use your's..... have you got a scanner or graphics tablet?

well spot uv was always an idea from the start and straight away I thought that it could be great to add some sort of texture to the card throughout and so I thought that using the spot uv on the symbols could give a great effect, but you're idea does sound good but it's the whole white space scenario, would it look too simple without the spot uv on the symbols to create the texture?

I just gave it a go but there is marginal difference and it is cool that there is a font to match it for use in other print scenarios, so for the time being the current one works for me

BenJonesDesign said:
Hi all,

After my last attempt at re-branding myself I had another go and finally came up with something I like. I've put together the below business card designs and wanted to see what you guys think.

At the moment I prefer the black based one but could sway.

The idea is that the cards will be matte laminate and have spot uv on the front, spot UV will be applied to the faded symbols in the background (currently shown for viewing purpose, will not be printed just spot uv for effect). Back of card is just matt laminate, no spot UV.

Hi

Personally I like your Logo - and I prefer the black on white.

Spot uv always looks good on black matt lam - 600gsm if now available for matt lam litho cards and only slightly more expensive than 400gsm - or if you have the time/budget this would look good white (or silver) letterpress foiled onto thick black uncoated card.

- David

haha quite right Levi!

Thanks David, yes I have thought about foil but don't think it would suit the idea, nice idea though!

It seems very divided on the responses, I'm pretty divided myself, I can see both being great but in terms of spot UV i think it would look more dramatic on the white on black cards

I prefer the black cards with white text, mainly because it fits better with the artistic connotations of your logo and font selection.

However, as has already been said, the B doesn't look quite right, I think mainly because of the extra line in the middle of the B - as if when they started the B they made a V shape first and then finished with curves of the B. I've never had or seen two lines in my B's.

I also think the splatters you've used for your contact details should look different from each other, even if only a little.

The only other thing that doesn't quite work for me is the font choice for the contact details. The whole design has a kind of rough, artistic feel to it - then you've chosen a clean, perfectly finished font. I'm not sure how legible the font you've used for your logo is when presented in a similar format but it might create a more synchronised design if you were to use it (or a similar) font on both sides.

thanks for the suggestions Squiddy. I have decided to keep the B as it is as it looks exactly how I write my Bs so it keeps it personal.

I decided on the font for the contact details rather than keeping to the same as the font used on the front mainly for readability, I did try it with the main font but if I'm giving the card to an old person who wants a portrait done I can image the amount of complaints I'd get because they can't read it, and potentially loose business.

Good point on the splashes too, didn't really think about that but unfortunately have now send an order off to the printers but will keep it in mind for next time!

No worries, yeah I wasn't sure if the font would be particularly readable or not, I had my suspicions.

I would have replied earlier but I've been away for the last couple of days, sorry :p

Personally, I think which ever one you chose to go with it would be better without the faded background as it seems to distract the focus of the business card (just a little) and looks a little less professional (as i see most business cards have very simple backgrounds). In any case, I also prefer black on white.

I have gone for white on black and as I said the faded background is only to illustrate where the spot uv is to be, also decided on the end to go double sided spot uv so the large splashes on the back will be spot uv, hopefully will look great but will post some images once they have arrived!

Hi Ben

I agree white on black is better - it was a typo when I previously said black on white :)

I do feel 400gsm coated stock is too 'ordinary' for a designer - but I don't know of a thicker online (litho) supplier if it needs to also have spot varnish.

- David

I look forward to seeing them! I'll put some of mine up when they're printed too :D

well I ended up going with overnightprints. Chose them firstly after the good old review of the 5 different online printers and secondly because their online method of ordering great. Couldn't find any thinker than 400gsm that also did spot uv at a reasonably price, and I have gone digital.... yes I know but digital is catching up with the quality of litho, it really came down to cost. I would love to go all out with a business card design, use embossing, foil etc but the costs to do what I would love to do is pretty rediculous

BenJonesDesign said:
I would love to go all out with a business card design, use embossing, foil etc but the costs to do what I would love to do is pretty rediculous

If you want to email your artwork to me I'll do you a few with white (or silver) foil on black 540gsm Colorplan F.O.C.

- David

BenJonesDesign said:
I have gone for white on black and as I said the faded background is only to illustrate where the spot uv is to be, also decided on the end to go double sided spot uv so the large splashes on the back will be spot uv, hopefully will look great but will post some images once they have arrived!

Still think my idea without the extra bits would be stronger but it's your choice ;)

Back