New Burberry branding

Paul Murray

Ultimate Member
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, and I know we designers all love a controversial rebrand, so…

burberry_logo_comparison.jpg

Old logo top, new logo bottom. Designed by Peter Saville. He also did an interlocking monogram pattern thing:

burberry-rebrand-peter-saville-graphic-design-it'snicethat-list.jpg

Thoughts?

Looks like something I'd do for a joke but would never submit.

Difficult without the scope - but I guess it's ok given the target market and the products they produce.

If it floats their boat and relates to their target audience then so be it - very snappity chat feel about it.

Seriously... that main brand looks like something a 'cousins friends pet dog who owns a copy of photoshop' would do.

Now trying to work out how the monogram 'relates' to the new text based logo....

Oh and isn't burberry the brand that is burning most of it's 'end of line' stuff because they don't want the chavs to get it....never really understood why they were popular in the first place if I'm honest.

Now trying to work out how the monogram 'relates' to the new text based logo....
That bugged me also. It's the founder's initials in a font reminiscent of a style that Saville just liked. It's too detached from the main identity for my liking but I guess we'll see how it all works in context.

I know Burberry is supposed to be, or at least once was, a 'high end brand' - but to me, my only association with it is some panhead wearing a burberry cap at a funny angle in a bus stop. Maybe combined with an Umbro tracksuit tucked into their socks.

Buzzcocks.jpg

Critically, the only bone I would throw the new design is that the repeat pattern is faintly reminiscent of a branded version of their signature burberry tartan (reminiscent in that the palette is similar and it's a pattern - that's where it ends). I'm clutching at straws though.

Are these two images all there is to the rebrand, as they're all I've seen in any articles that refer to it?

I would assume there's more to it, but from what I understand it might just be a logo refresh. Similar to what he did with Calvin Klein last year. Nice work if you can get it.

Whenever I see Burberry, I always think of Devvo.

It is what it is I guess but you could have gotten really clever with that repeat.

Back