New BBC News Website

Dave1975

The BBC have launched their new look news website today, have you seen it yet?
BBC News - Home

Blog entry about the re-design:
BBC - The Editors: BBC News website redesign (2)

There's some elements of it I'm really keen on, but as for the overall layout as a whole I'm not all that keen at the moment, I think that's purely becuase I'm so familiar with the old layout, as I'm sure many other are!

Reserving judgement for the moment, will see how I find using it after a few days.
What does everyone else make of it?

looks strange to me to be honest.. I agree that it looks like CNN .. personally I preferred the old site :)

I wasn't impressed much either, but having used it during my lunch break, and reading several news articles I really like it, feels much more intuitive then the previous version.

nice one Team BBC

Oh. I loved the old design so yeah don't like that much. :-( I want our company to have a nice one like their old style, good job I took a screen shot for my file!

First impression is that I prefer the old site. Nothing wrong with it as such - I'm just used to the old one. I'm sure after a while I'll get used to this one. I didn't like it to begin with last time they changed it either, but when I recently came across a page from the one before that it looked terrible.

I kinda like it also because of the new navigation bar and it makes it a lot user friendly for internet web beginner.

Thanks for sharing the link Greg, I did come across the redesign quite sometime ago and not being active on DesignForums.co.uk for sometime I have only just come across this post.

Basically I feel the CNN website puts greater emphasis on using larger imagery on its homepage and pretty much all throughout the site. Whereas BBC News have used much smaller imagery and focused there attention more on the News Headings to attract there audiences.

The BBC News logo is situated nicely to the left of the site which is where I would typically look for in a website in order to navigate my way back to the homepage. Whereas with the CNN logo was placed in the centre of the site, I was clicking away in a blank area on the left hand side expecting there to be a logo to take me to the homepage however I was left disappointed.

As you scroll down to the bottom half of the CNN site you are greeted with eight sub news headings e.g.. World, Environment, Business etc.. these are rather dull with no life to them and rather small font-size at 11px which I find rather strange as these should be capturing the eyes of the user.

Compare the similar section to BBC News it has eight sub news headings but with a more user friendly design with images under each eight sub headings, font-size of 13px and bold lettering in places.

I feel that the sidebar on the BBC News website should be more simple especially the Features&Analysis section all looks rather untidy and cluttered not very pleasing.

Comparing both the BBC and the CNN news sites they both have there pros and cons and contain huge amounts of content every day must be a real challenge for everyone involved.

Overall I feel the BBC News site still feels too cluttered and cramped, header needs a complete rethink rather ugly and finally don't get me wrong they have given the site a little space to breath but not enough in my books.

Back