New American Airlines Branding

T

Tony Hardy

American Airlines showed the world their rebrand today. What does anybody think of it?
http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2013/january/american-airlines-futurebrand
I'm not a fan of gradients, but have to say, it really looks quite sleek. A massive departure from what they had, and I think it's a positive one.

However, if was American Airlines, I think I would've had to opt for this fantastic retro rebrand;
http://www.canny-creative.com/2012/11/american-airlines-rebrand-daily-inspiration-0006/
What do you think? Which would you have went for?

Ha that's funny. On Mashable.com (article about this new logo) a few hours ago I added a comment saying exactly the same as you! I don't think gradients or shadows are best on logos in general...but yeah, I think it's a good idea for them to make this move even if I don't think all the aspects of the new logo are the best.

The plane really does look great though doesn't it? So shiny :)

Mashable is a website I rarely use. Something I need to try and remember to check out!

Yeah it's good for most things and usually pretty quick to bring the latest news when if its tech related.. worth following at any rate!

definitely not a fan of it.
their previous branding was fairly iconic, i don't see why they want to change it (maybe new owners? they were close to calling administrators in...)
the issue with AA is not their old branding but their terrible, terrible flying experience. can't save that with a gradient!

Tim said:
the issue with AA is not their old branding but their terrible, terrible flying experience. can't save that with a gradient!
As designers though, aren't we paid to "dress shit up"?

Never flown with American Airlines, so wouldn't know anything about their flying experience. Worse than Ryanair?

not that bad, but still pretty bad.
not faulting the designers for the branding, faulting the directors who decided it would be a good idea to change an iconic logo.

Tim said:
not that bad, but still pretty bad.
not faulting the designers for the branding, faulting the directors who decided it would be a good idea to change an iconic logo.
There's a few nods in the there to the original logo? Have to be honest, I didn't really care much for the original, but, it was fairly iconic.

My boyfriend is a big plane nut but he doesn't seem to be a fan of the new design. I believe his opinion was that it looks "like a 10 foot flag dropped out the back end of a pickup truck." And he's American :lol:
I'm not too sure on it myself personally, but I can't put my finger on why. Probably the same reason.

Emmature said:
My boyfriend is a big plane nut but he doesn't seem to be a fan of the new design. I believe his opinion was that it looks "like a 10 foot flag dropped out the back end of a pickup truck." And he's American :lol:
I half see what he means here, especially looking at the tail of the aeroplane.

Still think I quite like it, but prefer the retro/vintage branding still!

they have ugly 737-200s for domestic flights- a paint job will never sort that out. they're just ugly!
the 777s they have are special because of the branding i feel. it's bold. i guess it won't be anymore!

Gradients make everything shiny and new-fangled, every true american designer knows that... ;)
Can't mistake those vertical stabilisers... Gaudy. Even by American Flag-theme standards.

I thought this part was 3D glasses to begin with.
FB_AA_PR_Assets-0_482.jpg

is that white/grey nose thing supposed to represent an eagle's head/beak? looks kinda reminiscent. otherwise i don't know why they'd have that in the middle.

I think it is meant to be reminiscent of an eagle. That's what I took from it anyway. Didn't think about the beak, but I guess it works as both the head and the beak?

I actually really like the rebrand. It could have some potential in the future. But I guess most logos have lovers and haters :)

Back