Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Storage

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by glenwheeler, Nov 15, 2009.

1. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Hi Guys,

I have a home network, its set up with a Cisco N+ router and have a few things hanging off it. Mapped network drive etc. How ever I wanna invest in some network storage and something that supports fast ethernet. I am looking at about around 500gb of space. Does anyone know anywhere cheap that I can find something? I found a few on ebay but I dunno if I should really use them for something such as this. I want something to send my backups to and something where I can hold all of my data.

My budget is £100, thanks guys. Glen

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

what £100 including a drive or £100 for a caddy, I paid about £200 for my synology (also can do ftp, http, mail and media server duties) and that was without a drive.

You can get cheaper obviously and as you want it as backup I'd highly suggest a dual drive model with mirrored raid but to be honest you will be hard pushed to get a decent nas (they're not really that fast at the budget end) for £100.

Also do you want gige or 10/100 ethernet as fast ethernet is technically the latter.

3. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

thats pretty basic, I'd still say get a raidsonic caddy and then shove in a disk of choice, you can atleast get some features that make the nas worth while.

Another thing - you do realise that 10/100 ethernet rarely manages to get over 4MB/s transfer.