Need help/Inspiration for logo design

Conway

Hi All

I have been briefed to design a logo for an a start up IT services company called "Source Fusion" There services are what you would expect from most IT Solutions companies which include bespoke websites and applications, networking IT Consultancy hosting database structure and design etc.

They also tell me that the reason behind there name is because they wish to work with all technology both open and closed source kind of fusing them togther.

This is pretty much all I have to go in trying to think of a cool and original logo concept that accurately represents what the company I have described above, but at the moment I am struggling for ideas and a direction to go in, Im not asking for logo concepts to be posted in, that is my job as the designer. But I guess you could say I am having a bit of ''designers block'' at the moment and I need a bit of inspiration to kick start some ideas for this client.

The main issue I am having is that because its for an IT company, most IT companies/logos which I have goggled searched tend to resort to tacky, cliche ''swooshes'' which usually begins its journey from some sort of small pea shape or sphere, worse still is using tacky wire frames or clip art of a globe that speaks ''networking'' These are the sorts of designs/ideas I want to completely avoid at all costs but every time I think IT I keep coming back to these cliche ideas.

Can anybody provide an alternative direction?

considered typographical, some big companies are nothing more than their name with a nice font.

Typo said:
Get scribbling mate...

...go for a long walk and think it out.

Or forget about it and go do something else. Those grey cells work away in the background and come back with little gems when you least expect it.

Back