Need help and feedback on logo design

So I'm a college student and am doing some technical community service for a non for profit organization that works with at danger youths of the local community. The first project I wanted to do for them was create them a logo as a lot of what they do requires funding and they hold fundraising events and I felt they need help as far as their branding. They have a current logo that was roughly put together and I attempted to revamp it. Their logo is obviously very messy and hard to read and the one I did I believe was somewhat better. After handing in my first version of the logo this was their feedback:
I.) The appearance is too serious and strong. The original one appears softer and less critical; II.) EVERYONE noticed the absence of the man on the rock displaying victory or accomplishment. I guess that is really the heart of the logo. III.) LIFE was not shown as an acronym (separated with the periods - L.I.F.E.); IV) The "Inc." is missing from the name of the organization; V.) the other style of the life preserver was more preferred - softer look.
Some of their points I do agree with like missing the "Inc." but I thought I was going in the right direction, but I guess what really matters is that they are satisfied. I do not have that much logo design experience and its something I want to get into more and would greatly appreciate any help or demonstration of what I could do. Thanks

Attachments

• Orig_Logo.jpg
    Orig_Logo.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 27
  • YLSN_LogoV1.png
    YLSN_LogoV1.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 27
Reverse the ring colour to the original.
Put "Youth L.I.F.E Inc." into the centre of the ring
Heart beat thingy under neath 1 of the words

YOUTH
L.IF.E. Inc.
Put the man standing on one of the letters.

Don't distort your letters - leave it more - elegant
Explore different fonts

Yes, you're going in the right direction by trying to simplify it, but you can go further.

Lose the black outline to the lifebelt and go back to a solid red circle with white gaps. The words inside (if they have to be there) need to
be a condensed font in capitals for legibility, going round the circle uniformly. Try YOUTH L.I.F.E (all caps) in one line
underneath the lifebelt and Support Network Inc. (maybe caps again) underneath that in a smaller size but the same length line,
maybe with the heart rate line/symbol between the text lines. Then find a silhouette of a man on a mountain to put in the centre,
maybe in grey. Still I Rise could go small in the centre too.

There's a hell of a lot going on with this:
The man on the rock
The 'heartbeat'
The support ring
All that text
And the name, what a mouthful! – YOUTH L.I.F.E SUPPORT NETWORK INC

It drastically needs stripping down, but you may face an uphill battle, some clients are notoriously protective of their logos, regardless of how much they need updating, especially when a committee is involved.

Both versions feel too nautical, which is not what the charity is about, so I'd want to lose the ring entirely. It's a motif for "support" but I'd also argue it's a negative element, it focusses too much on someone struggling, as does the heartbeat, whilst the man atop the mountain is about the feeling of achievement and success which is what the charity aims to bring. It's a positive, so that's what I'd focus on.

I get the logo idea, but agree I thought that it was for a lifesaving course, or for a boat cruise, or for the coast guard.. it's confusing.

There are a lot of elements going on...

So I'm a college student and am doing some technical community service for a non for profit organization that works with at danger youths of the local community. The first project I wanted to do for them was create them a logo as a lot of what they do requires funding and they hold fundraising events and I felt they need help as far as their branding. They have a current logo that was roughly put together and I attempted to revamp it. Their logo is obviously very messy and hard to read and the one I did I believe was somewhat better. After handing in my first version of the logo this was their feedback:
I.) The appearance is too serious and strong. The original one appears softer and less critical; II.) EVERYONE noticed the absence of the man on the rock displaying victory or accomplishment. I guess that is really the heart of the logo. III.) LIFE was not shown as an acronym (separated with the periods - L.I.F.E.); IV) The "Inc." is missing from the name of the organization; V.) the other style of the life preserver was more preferred - softer look.
Some of their points I do agree with like missing the "Inc." but I thought I was going in the right direction, but I guess what really matters is that they are satisfied. I do not have that much logo design experience and its something I want to get into more and would greatly appreciate any help or demonstration of what I could do. Thanks
Generally it needs stripped down to one message and one word Id say. Simple elements, if you're going to use curved text dont distort it to much and try different fonts.

Hello everyone, thank you for your replies and feedback! I tried to intake some of your ideas and thoughts and this is what I came up with. Please let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 12.43.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 12.43.13 PM.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 11
Going the right way but the text on the circular paths is bothering me.

How did you create this?
Did you use the warp tool rather than setting it on a path?

The radius of the curve doesn't seem to match the life preserver, ring thing.
Also the "EMPOWERMENT" seems to have a warp on it and "leadership" is set in lower case.
Is there a reason for this?
I think once you sort that you'll be very close.

Going the right way but the text on the circular paths is bothering me.

How did you create this?
Did you use the warp tool rather than setting it on a path?

The radius of the curve doesn't seem to match the life preserver, ring thing.
Also the "EMPOWERMENT" seems to have a warp on it and "leadership" is set in lower case.
Is there a reason for this?
I think once you sort that you'll be very close.

Okay I redid it and put the text on a path. Is it ever a concern if one word such as the empowerment word is upside down on the logo, as far as readability?

Attachments

• YLlogo.png
    YLlogo.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
MUCH better.

I'd try it reading the right way as you don't want to get any whiplash claims. LOL! ;)

It's a little more tricky to do In Illustrator if you've never done it before to get text to run on the bottom but a bit of trial and error and you should be good.

If you have any problems I'll be happy to talk you through it.

highlight your text...TYPE>TYPE ON PATH > TYPE ON A PATH OPTIONS > Rainbow and click the little 'flip' box - then spin it to the right position

Back