Naming problems

harvestdesign

Still unsure as to what to call myself
I'm not to keen on using my name, and would prefer a name such as Draplin Design Co. etc
Feel free to give me advice
Thanks
:)

Before even thinking about running a business, I’d suggest that you need an education and experience. You obviously have some aptitude, but your logo exposes the gaping holes in your knowledge. It’s all about communication and not about pretty. You need knowledge before you can take money off people in exchange for expertise.

What Sprout says. You won't find many businesses wanting to deal with a 16 year old. Start off doing stuff for family and friends or just making
projects up for yourself. There are thousands of tutorials online that you could do to build up your expertise. Maybe find some competitions to enter.

I find I have the same problem and it's gotten a lot harder since you have to secure a domain and the ever elusive .com.

I went with my name/nick name as illustration tends to be more about the individual than a design company does but I think a lot depends on the way you want people to see you.
If you're offering a personal service as a sole trader/freelancer then most go with their name.

If you're going to offer something more varied or would like to be perceived as a company/agency then something memorable and fairly short.

Recently, I've been thinking about setting up another thing as more of a general design feel so I've been playing about with names and I can never seem to settle for one.

I find a very useful tool for not only checking domains but also social media availability is namecheckr.com

The other good thing about just using your own name is it means you can branch out into other services without having to change anything.

If you were blobbylogodesign.com and wanted to start doing illustrations you would struggle. But blobbystudios.com means you could do whatever you wanted.

The other good thing about just using your own name is it means you can branch out into other services without having to change anything.

If you were blobbylogodesign.com and wanted to start doing illustrations you would struggle. But blobbystudios.com means you could do whatever you wanted.

Back