Naming myself

Steve Robinson

Firstly, I apologise if this is in the wrong place - this is my first post.

I am looking to set up as a freelancer and wanted to gauge opinion on the whole naming thing. Use my name or create one. I think I prefer the idea of creating one - chance to be creative. But am finding it tricky as anything I come up with that I like, the URL has gone!

Below are some options that I have that are available - opinions would be greatly appreciated (I was born in 79):

SeventyNineMedia
Path79
firebox79
leadinglab (trying to play on word of leading, but is lab a bit clinical?)
Spaceboy79
Designer79

Got notebook full of pages of random words but not getting anywhere and want to get on and start on a logo, site etc...

Any feedback would be great.

Oh, also, hello GDF.

write down 2 lists

1 list will be all random names ie. swift, vortex, comet... etc etc
2nd list will be design attributes ie. design, studio, works , creative, media, motion etc etc. and go through all the names till one suits :)

Try and find something that's personal to you, or at least something you have a connection with. I know that's easier said than done :)

Personally I like 'Studio 79' (though studioseventynine.com is taken :p)

Lists

write down 2 lists

1 list will be all random names ie. swift, vortex, comet... etc etc
2nd list will be design attributes ie. design, studio, works , creative, media, motion etc etc. and go through all the names till one suits :)

Thanks for input. Will try this and come back...

Thanks. Studio 79 was on my list but rejected for that reason. The 79 thing was me trying to have a personal connection.

My very first idea was anchor point. Which had a personal connection (don't want to go into it - hope this doesn't sound rude) and also the obvious illustrator connection. But URL gone.

Hi Steve,

I also like studio 79 pity about the URL being taken. I also like he sound of Seventy Nine Media or Path79 but I'd be tempted to play around with the numbers and spacing a bit. For example: Seventy9Media,
Seventy 9 Media, 70nine Media seventy9media 7T9media (!) You'll do a much better job of that I'm sure!

Same thing goes for Pathseventy9, Path 70 nine, path70nine

Sometimes it's good to go with a name that is memorable but nothing to do with what you do - if that makes sense. Two of my favourites are 'Run Deep' (web design company) and 'Nothing Does' (graphic designer) , both probably still in use I'm afraid but you get the idea.

Good luck with your venture.

Ficrosbie @idesigni

Hi Steve,

I also like studio 79 pity about the URL being taken. I also like he sound of Seventy Nine Media or Path79 but I'd be tempted to play around with the numbers and spacing a bit. For example: Seventy9Media,
Seventy 9 Media, 70nine Media seventy9media 7T9media (!) You'll do a much better job of that I'm sure!

Same thing goes for Pathseventy9, Path 70 nine, path70nine

Sometimes it's good to go with a name that is memorable but nothing to do with what you do - if that makes sense. Two of my favourites are 'Run Deep' (web design company) and 'Nothing Does' (graphic designer) , both probably still in use I'm afraid but you get the idea.

Good luck with your venture.

Ficrosbie @idesigni

Thanks for your input! Only concern with playing with combination of figures and letters is would it make a confusing URL for people? Eg if they were told it verbally rather than seeing it written down.

Thoughts?

Not keen on any - all say 'one man band born in 79'.

That said - I've worked with Studio 7.5 (Berlin, group of academics who formed a design company) several times - The Studio was originally on the back of a 7.5 ton truck (mobile and usable with a regular driving license).

That said - I've worked with Studio 7.5 (Berlin, group of academics who formed a design company) several times - The Studio was originally on the back of a 7.5 ton truck (mobile and usable with a regular driving license).

Thanks for your honest opinion. Appreciate your input. Little bit of constructive criticism might help though - I am essentially a one man band born in 79! Is it do bad to look like this? Don't really want to give impression of massive studio! Any suggestions that you have are welcome?

Sometimes it's better to be clear that you're just one person. Many people prefer this and it's good to have your name associated with good work, though it could lead to you being overlooked for bigger jobs if people are looking for agencies.

Sometimes it's better to be clear that you're just one person. Many people prefer this and it's good to have your name associated with good work, though it could lead to you being overlooked for bigger jobs if people are looking for agencies.

I think I prefer the idea of it appearing more personable. What do people think? What about having letters and suits in name - think it could lead to confusion? Do you think using just your name shows lack of creativity?

As Paul says.

You've considered the image you wish to convey and the sectors you're targetting. You will live with (and hopefully grow) the name. May limit you later on - but you know the image you desire.

Thanks guys. I have decided on my market as you say and my image. Juat really unsure on best way to go on name front. Either ones have mentioned, my own name or something completely random like chocolate banana. Head is spinning with words and parades - sketch book is a mess too!

How about...............

(drum roll please)

Robinsonfriday

• It's your name
• Plays on robinson crusoe - bright chappy stranded on an island has to build everything with his hands.
• Friday is everyone's fave day
• It'd look good on the business listing on a Canary Wharf skyscraper. ;)

Similarly, a name (or word) with numbers at the end immediately says to me that the thing you really wanted wasn't available (a bit like when you sign up for a webmail service and they say that joesoap@ is taken and suggest joesoap16@ as an alternative). I'd further add that digits in a web address can often look a bit clumsy (aesthetically speaking) and there's the added nuisance of having clarify whether your address uses words or digits (e.g. 'seven' or '7') when you say it out loud.

Back