Names?

samjacksondesign

I am thinking of relaunching a company 'The Big Orange Agency', sounds boring but i think it has a catch?

Ideas? Maybe a decent logo will doe the name justice?

Thanks,

Sam

Might be just me, but the first thing I thought of when I read it was the Big Friendly Giant (I'll let you gauge whether that is good or bad).

Sounds slightly like it's trying to be too 'cool'/quirky.

But, that's just my personal opinion, I could be wrong :)

No, it doesn't sound anything like it's to do with Orange. Why? Because the company will be in a complete different sector, with completely different branding, targeting completely different people. It's like accusing "The Big Apple" of sounding like it might sell iPods.

I see nothing wrong with "The Big Orange Agency". My only change to it would be to drop "Agency" so it becomes "The Big Orange" or indeed, even "Big Orange", which sounds much more confident.

Like the thinking of Big Orange, but a quick search brings up a co. called A Big Orange
Based in London, A Big Orange provide B2B and B2C marketing services, support and consultancy. We work with all kinds of companies, from large corporates to SMEs, from media companies to FMCGs - our clients benefit from practical, results focused marketing services, sensibly priced.
Our primary business is Direct Marketing: from postal marketing & display advertising, to email marketing (design through to fulfillment), responsible marketing & spam filter avoidance, Database marketing, Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), pay per click (PPC), affiliate marketing, web design including dotmobi & mobile internet/WAP sites, website usability, accessibility & more.
So would probably avoid for that reason.
Greg

There's an Orange Peel Studios...

We're a close-knit team of experienced designers and developers based in the UK, we provide creative design and interactive services to some great businesses around the globe

Anything with studios/agency/design/industries or any other qualifier after the actual name is completely pointless, in my opinion.

I still stand by Big Orange. Whilst A Big Orange might be trading, it doesn't seem to be registered at Companies House. In fact, the only Big Orange registered is currently in liquidation.

Well spotted Neil, looks like the one I mentioned is registered to an individual (domain lookup) and hasn't been updated since May 2009. There's a Big Orange Ltd, but that's in liquidation so there's also the potential to pick up the Ltd company name in the future.

How did you decide on your company/site name Neil? Was there a reason you went with theworkof, or simply down to the domain availability?

Thanks,
Greg

My domain name was chosen quite simply really. Version one of my site before I was a professional designer was "Neil Martin: The Work Of". It went from there. The name I go under now is "The Work Of Neil Martin", but the domain has always stayed the same since I set up the site in 2005.

It works well for me because I've always envisaged The Work Of being about not just me, but an agency of some sort, but with credit still given to each individual designer. So, it could be The Work Of Greg Findley.

My current aim is to somehow get ownership of @theworkof on Twitter. Sadly it's being occupied by someone who hasn't used their account since September of last year and with only four updates! Not much I can do about it though.

Recent design company names I've heard and really liked and have stuck in my head are..

Believe In

I want design

Maybe think about it from a different angle, starting with brand values and what you are going to offer that unique or a selling point. If I was naming Dot Design again I would start this way. A name should naturally come from this a little easier.

Back