My Portfolio

Player

Hi guys! Here is my portfolio...at moment beta version! I have just the look without info and stuff. :)

[link]

I will be glad for some feedback! ;)

Hay buddy, I like the design TBH.
A few things ~
Change your HTML tag from this ~
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

To ~
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

As that is better. If the page will display in Moldovan instead let me know and I'll find the right initials to use instead.

Create a plain file and name it .htaccess and place this code in it ~

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.player\.hub\.md [nc]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.player.hub.md/$1 [R=301,L]

What this will do is redirect your non www. and www. versions to the www. version.
This in the search engines eyes makes the site 1 site, other wise it is classed as 2 and you will be penalized as a result.

Upload that to your root directory.

You have 2 h1 tags, never have more than one per page, search engines don't like it, and it is semantically incorrect as your h1 tag is your main page header, sub headings should go in h2-h6's.

Your first h1 you can get rid of the id="logo" and change the #logo in your CSS to h1

Remove the cards in the p tag below it, that is a decorative image so doesn't need a textual description, it also makes no sense to a screen reader.

I personally think the nav is too big TBH, to me it just doesn't look right.

Change this ~
<h1><span class='light'>Hello!</span> My name is <span class='light'>Marin</span> and I'm freelancer <span class='light'>web designer</span> from <span class='light'>Moldova</span>.</h1>

To ~
<p id="first"><strong>Hello!</strong> My name is <strong>Marin</strong> and I'm freelancer <strong>web designer</strong> from <strong>Moldova</strong>.</p>

Then in your CSS add ~
#first{font-size:2em}

If it looks too big wack the number down a bit, 1.7em something like that.

As that is semantically correct as it is not a heading, but you are putting a strong emphasis on those words so the strong tag is your boy not span tags. Also TBH it looks spammy from a search engine point of view IMO, adding strong in side a h1, as both tags do have special meaning to them so it's best to avoid it.

Not sure what the link is doing next to the copy right either TBH.

Your title element, should be changed from ~
<title>Player's Portfolio - Home, sweet home!</title>

Now TBH I'm not sure if you changed it to
<title>Player's Portfolio - Web designer based in Moldova</title>

Wll TBH not do you much good as people in Moldova with be searching in Moldovan and not English.
mmmmmm........
Are you expecting more work from inside of Moldova or outside of Moldova?
If outside do you have an idea where from?
Romania, Ukraine, Russia, etc....?
Let me know, don't say everywhere but chose a region. :D

Hope it helps.
Jaz

Key:
Purple ~ XHTML
Green ~ CSS
Red ~ Mod_Rewrite

i'm gonna go ahead with the first [Edit: or maybe the second] post and say i really don't like it.

it doesn't really seem relevant to being a designer, for one.

I think you should rethink a few things before i can actually say anything positive!

Apologies!

Not really my cup of tea to be honest, I think its a bit hard to judge when there's so little to look at. I mean its like saying what do you think of my brochure and showing one spread filled with latin and stock photos. ((and by no means are you the first to post for critic in this way))

Also I think any portfolio site should have at least some work on the front page.

Not sure the theme works that well for me unless your particuarily looking to do work for gambling sites or something.

I have to say I agree with tim-ater and tbwcf. My initial thoughts were "Is this a gambling/poker site?". And I don't think that gambling etc. are good signals to send to prospective clients. They will want someone they can trust.

The photos are really nice but they just don't communicate the right things IMO. I think it would be better if you removed the images completely and just let your content speak for itself. I'm not really sure about the typography on the site either.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate! :)
I will try to change it to better!

Jaz, from start i will work inside of Moldova...when i will get more experience i will try outside of Moldova! :)

Jaz, is Moldovan and i wrote on English because i don't think that you guys understand Moldovan :D
anyway when i will finish it i will put it on normal host and there will be 3 languages (Moldovan, Russian, English)

Arr that makes sense, and TBH your right. :)

Then when you change your content, change your html tag to ~
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="ro-MD" xml:lang="ro-MD">

As that is the language syntax for Moldovan.

Then if you expect most of your work to come from within Moldova then have the title element as

<title>Player's Portfolio - Web site design based in Moldova</title>

Or change it to designer if you are looking for work as a designer.

Hope it helps
Jaz

Back