My Portfolio Website

I like your work, and I guess the site does what it should. I don't like how the content slides behind the navigation, just to then pop up on the other side of it; I think it should just disappear all together.

thankyou .Thats a fair point i've heard from a few people but quite a few have said they like it, just makes it a little bit different.
do you have a portfolio i could look at?

Yes and no... what I have on my domain/server right now is worthless, as you can probably see for yourself. I'm still raking in projects to showcase on my own portfolio, because almost all of my past work comes with a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

However, another client site is going live within a few weeks, and my own portfolio is coming up next ;)

I absolutely love the Wake Up work, brilliant stuff. I like the reusing of the screen-print work for business cards too, though I would've liked to have seen the visual effect of the stamped details on the other side.
I agree with Onartis about the site, It might be neater for it not to reappear on the left. But the site is simple and clear, and lets the work do all the, well, work.

let me know when its finished.... in all seriousness i quit the page, then thought there must be more to it, on a return i found your navigation and works..I personally would like to see more graphic design, minimalistic websites are 99% **** unless get lucky! imho.

if your website if one of your main mediums of communicating your work and expereince then you only get a few brief moments to stand out from the other billion or so pages online..

Sunburn said:
I personally would like to see more graphic design, minimalistic websites are 99% **** unless get lucky! imho.

if your website if one of your main mediums of communicating your work and expereince then you only get a few brief moments to stand out from the other billion or so pages online..

I disagree with this statement myself.

I never plan on being a graphic designer, so graphic design should not be a big point of my profile.
I feel that minimalist websites can be created to show off great work. The most important part of all websites - Content is king!

While I'm off this opinion, you have to make sure that people do spend time to view your content, or otherwise what is the point of it.

I feel a good way of doing this is really good branding.

@ renniks : what are you disagreeing with ?? :)

If cwalkers website is one of his main mediums of communication, and the same goes for any one really looking to use a website for the purpose of showcasing work etc then, you really do need to grab the attention of the user straight away, or as the case in point, users and potential clients/employers just exit without "getting" what your trying to achieve.

" I never plan on being a graphic designer, so graphic design should not be a big point of my profile."

errrm and ? :)

finally my personal preference is well my personal preference :) ...

Im not trying to be antagonistic, i just dont understand you point.

I actually missed the "personally" and "imho" part of your post.

Not that I took it for anything but opinion, but those change the way in which I percieved it being said.

I was making a point about most minimalist websites not being rubbish, and that they can deliver very well, for non graphic designers especially.

While you are quite against the majority of them (it would seem)

No worries, I never find you to come across as antagonistic, I just felt that I had to disagree with your opinion on minimalism. :D

I like the work, well done!
The site is functional, and does what it needs to do, but it gives me no idea who you are or what you are about. I can tell a few of these things from looking at your work, but some people may not get that far if they are put off by the landing page. The pic you have on the main page is nothing compared to some of your work samples.
I'd be temped to jump straight into the work if you want to keep the minimal feel, but I'd also consider how you might put a bit more of your personality into the structure and appearance of the site.

I wish i could be a tactful as you Ken, because that exactly what I was trying to say last night! ... I think perhaps I should refrain from posting at stupid a-clock.

As for minimalistic websites, I have nothing against them par-se, just in order to pull one off, you have to be very good! and the majority I have seen, are typically empty and devoid of content, which isn't really minimalist. :)

Some call it tactful, others call it something else... anyway this fence is really starting to hurt my arse! :)

(I can see the queue forming to post smart-Alec remarks already! :D )

wow i missed alot, Thanks for the comments good and bad i appreciate them all, the impression i get from here and other forums is that web designers think that the site is too simple and well boring as the way they show off their skills is through well designed complex sites, graphic designers seem to think its does what its supposed to which is display my work and thats what i want, im not a web designer, i dont have the money to hire one and i dont have the time to learn to do it if it was an ideal world i would have a nice simple but exciting flash site or something but its not. Im hoping that at the end of all this my work is still the part that does the talking. The only other thing to remember is that im still a student so website worthy projects are abit low on the ground.

Back