My Portfolio Website - Feedback Please

richimgd

Hi guys,
I would like your feedback on my website if you wouldnt mind. I do a selection of work from Web to Print, Identity and 3D. Most of this work is from 2006-2009 but the website its self was built in 2011.
Also if you like any of my work please click on the Facebook Like buttons
icon_rolleyes.gif

I have also optimised the site for Mobile, so if you have a mobile device / iPhone / smartphone I would be keen to hear any feedback about.

So the link: www.imgd.co.uk
icon_smile.gif

Any feedback much appreciated.

I agree, the navigation throughout your portfolio area needs to be a lot simpler.

After viewing a portfolio item and then pressing the back button, another portfolio item is displayed instead of the main menu.

Apart from that, the work on your site is pretty good.

Designmatic said:
I agree, the navigation throughout your portfolio area needs to be a lot simpler.

After viewing a portfolio item and then pressing the back button, another portfolio item is displayed instead of the main menu.

Apart from that, the work on your site is pretty good.

Cheers for the comment, Some people I've asked thought the porfolio was simple to navigate but others found it a bit confusing. I'm not sure how I could modify it since it was something which I designed to be like this by the beginning.

The main rational behind the portfolio was from the homepage, just one click would take the user into any one of the portfolio sections, e.g Print, Branding, Web. Theres an extra 'Level' to the portfolio e.g from Print you can view more information and images relating to an individual project. Also each project is also assigned to a Client. I have actually included a breadcrumb navigation to make some sense of what is going on, but I agree it might not be the most user friendly. Back to the rational though, I thought it would give the user more chance fo viewing what they wanted to see and not too much at any one time. E.g you could view an overview of all print by clicking Print, but if you saw something you liked in Print you could click the image and see a higher resolution shot and some info on the project. If I tried to include all this info for multiple projects on one page it would make the page more complicated.

I could make the design more clear that once your in a 'project page' the Next and Back buttons will simply navigate between projects and are not relevant to the project you were just looking at.

Some nice bits in the portfolio, but the site design and nav shoots the whole thing in the foot.
Everything is so tight and claustrophobic. ( if you say that's how you wanted it to be, I'll hop in a the car, drive 100 miles and slap you with a wet Mackerel)

Designers have to solve communication problems - you're first one is how to showcase your work effectively and creatively. Instead of creating space you've suffocated things.

Why is the page size so small?

So... decent work, but a poor choice of picture frame

Berry said:
Some nice bits in the portfolio, but the site design and nav shoots the whole thing in the foot.
Everything is so tight and claustrophobic. ( if you say that's how you wanted it to be, I'll hop in a the car, drive 100 miles and slap you with a wet Mackerel)

Designers have to solve communication problems - you're first one is how to showcase your work effectively and creatively. Instead of creating space you've suffocated things.

Why is the page size so small?

So... decent work, but a poor choice of picture frame

Hmmm... I designed it to be like that (*runs*)

Tight is what I was aiming for, but not claustrophobic. I guess everything is smaller because sometimes big images etc can look a bit clunky I feel, also everything is aimed to be no bigger than it needs to be regarding the fold. I guess it might look like there is some wasted space on say, larger widescreen monitors, if the site is being viewed fullscreen. I have an idea though, I could look into making the content widen slightly, i.e instead of 3 columns of images, I could try 4 or 5 etc if the viewer has a larger screen. Not sure if this would work on all pages though. Also I might centre the site if I go down this route....

Cheers for the comments / suggestions :)

Back