my online portfolio

While very very nice, it would take along time to read it, and I'm not sure how many employers etc. would.
Large bullet points :p

Very nice minimalist design, however I think if you used jScrollPane to hide the ugly standard scrollbars it would give it that extra pizaz :)

too long winded, everything seems to be more effort than it needs to be. I had to click out and then back again for every image, would have been nice to have a next image option in the lightbox script (most do)

Hoxxy said:
Very nice minimalist design, however I think if you used jScrollPane to hide the ugly standard scrollbars it would give it that extra pizaz :)

Thanks for that i'll have a look because i quite agree that they are letting the style of the page down a little.

Thanks again.

Levi said:
too long winded, everything seems to be more effort than it needs to be. I had to click out and then back again for every image, would have been nice to have a next image option in the lightbox script (most do)

The next image option is only tied to the actual client, so click an arsenal image and you'll be able to click through all the arsenal images.

Maybe it would be better just to be able to quickly view all the entries from the same window.

Thanks

Thanks, I may keep the downloadable version as is and just use a brief version online, bullet pointed as you advise.

Thanks for the feedback

Just an additional thought, are you supposed to put referees on your CV and is it a good idea to put any references on the website too??

Thanks Jason

Hi Jason, welcome to the forums.

Referees - No. In my opinion - not on a publicly viewable CV.

On the scroll bars perhaps just let your container with your work expand and let the scrollbar appear on the edge of the browser window instead?

-Links page is a waste of time.
-Contact Page needs to be more obvious (if your looking for work don't make it hard for them to get in touch).
-Downloads page is pretty pointless to - just have a link 'download my CV' and save an extra click.

Get rid of the ugly+pointless w3c logos / no one cares + should be a given like @harryroberts always bangs on about. It is vaild but its not well coded (but does the job) and that's not your bag so don't draw attention to it.

Typography could be glam'd up maybe a bit bigger + heirachy to define sections / important bits - bigger / bold <b> / italic bits <em>

There obviously focusing on the negatives and meant as constructive critisism.

The plus bits are: nice work, generally pretty tidy site & it certainly should do its job as a reference for CV / work examples.

tbwcf - thanks for the pointers, I wasn't too sure about the links page but thought it might show what sort of stuff i'm interested in when not working... but take your point.

ha ha I wasn't even sure if the w3c was something to be bothered about, but it passed their test so I stuck them on... I'll take your advice and remove them.

Thanks again for your advice, everything I get from this forum is very useful to me as a newby in the web world. Hopefully with time my coding with get more proficient, just on this point how do I find a way of coding better? Are there any books or sites etc that would speed the process up?

Jason

jasonwall said:
The next image option is only tied to the actual client, so click an arsenal image and you'll be able to click through all the arsenal images.

Maybe it would be better just to be able to quickly view all the entries from the same window.

Thanks
I wasn't even aware there were more than one image pure thumbnail (or it following through) maybe it's been updated a little since I looked :confused:

Now I've seen the left/right versions, I really dislike your choice of script, it bounces between images which is off putting to me. Every one I've ever used has a nice gradual fade/zoom between each image, looks much nicer than the bounce you've picked.

Also on second viewing, I'm going to suggest making the links slightly heavier in weight, they're a bit soft against the background.

I'll try those and thanks once again, and I'm sure I will be needing help along the way... nice to know there are people out there willing to share their time.

tbwcf said:
Hi Jason, welcome to the forums.

Referees - No. In my opinion - not on a publicly viewable CV.

On the scroll bars perhaps just let your container with your work expand and let the scrollbar appear on the edge of the browser window instead?

-Links page is a waste of time.
-Contact Page needs to be more obvious (if your looking for work don't make it hard for them to get in touch).
-Downloads page is pretty pointless to - just have a link 'download my CV' and save an extra click.

Get rid of the ugly+pointless w3c logos / no one cares + should be a given like @harryroberts always bangs on about. It is vaild but its not well coded (but does the job) and that's not your bag so don't draw attention to it.

Typography could be glam'd up maybe a bit bigger + heirachy to define sections / important bits - bigger / bold <b> / italic bits <em>

There obviously focusing on the negatives and meant as constructive critisism.

The plus bits are: nice work, generally pretty tidy site & it certainly should do its job as a reference for CV / work examples.

I second everything above.

TomStutt said:
Hi Jason

I like it alot. I think its one of the best online portfolios ive seen for ages.

wow, cheers tom, i've gotta admit that actually posting my portfolio online and to this forum did make me question myself alot, but i'm glad there has been lots of constructive criticism and praise.

I'm going to take onboard some of the comments and make a few tweaks to fine tune the piece.

Thanks again for your comments very much appreciated.

Back