My New Website

I love how quickly your portfolio pieces load. I look at hundreds of these sites, and there's nothing more annoying than seeing that circular loading icon.

Firstly grammar correction needed on "All your text are belong to us" and you went to uni...... and also "exit through the gift shops" generally there should be one gift shop.

I like the simple look of the site, it brings attention to the work which is what you want, however this isn't good when to be honest some work isn't up to the standards of the rest of your work, for example the vector art. Personally I would say this isn't your strong point so probably best getting rid of that until you have a good amount of work that's worth showing on that topic.

I also noticed that a few images took a while to load, make sure your images are at the most 400kb, otherwise people may get board of waiting and leave.

Generally the sites there, just needs a little improvement in the mentioned comments.

BenJonesDesign said:
Firstly grammar correction needed on "All your text are belong to us" and you went to uni......

I think that was intentional :p

I looked through all your work which is unusual for me - I liked it :p

Hey Ben, Thanks for the feedback.

Yes "All your text are belong to us" is indeed intentional, so is "exit through the gift shops". Not sure what you mean by "you went to uni".

Think I will keep the Vector art page there just until I have another piece of work to fill the space. I need 3 rows of 4 because it just wouldn't look right with a gap. Working on a few new pieces of work now in my 3rd year of uni, so hopefully I can replace some of the work soon.

Will look at the image size now and see if I can replace them.

Also thanks Brendan. Glad you liked it.

:)

For me the best thing is your name! haha But seriously, the sites alright.

My feedback would be that it does the job, but it's nothing original. I've seen it done before but better and with more personality. I'm sure it's just being used as an archive of your uni work, so for that purpose it does the job.

My constructive criticism is to generally work on the aesthetics to show a bit of personality. I like to be able to click through images with arrows, or simply add the functionality that when you click on the image it moves onto the next. I think that the line spacing on the About page is a little large. Try and fit your image area into around 500/600 high and up to say 900 wide (as a rough guide). Just think of browser sizes, if I have my browser at a normal size, I have to scroll to see a lot of your work.

General feedback to help you when you come out of Uni - try and do some 'commercial pieces' to get into your portfolio. At the moment, I struggle to see where your skills would be applicable in the real world, so consider this! Of course this depends on what area you'd like to go into but regardless, it's worth considering.

Hope this helps

I'm going to echo to statement about taking your vector art down, its not up to the standard of the rest of your work.

A few strong pieces is far better than a mountain of ****. I've got a massive portfolio of work, if I was building a portfolio site, 20 pieces tops and that is only because I come from a mixed media background and I would want to show my experience as a graphic designer, web developer, editor/film work and photography.

Exit through the gifts shops...Banksy film? Anyone?

The site itself is simiple, no bad thing, but it does look like a very popular wordpress theme. Any guesses anyone?

Chris Lord said:
For me the best thing is your name! haha But seriously, the sites alright.

My feedback would be that it does the job, but it's nothing original. I've seen it done before but better and with more personality. I'm sure it's just being used as an archive of your uni work, so for that purpose it does the job.

My constructive criticism is to generally work on the aesthetics to show a bit of personality. I like to be able to click through images with arrows, or simply add the functionality that when you click on the image it moves onto the next. I think that the line spacing on the About page is a little large. Try and fit your image area into around 500/600 high and up to say 900 wide (as a rough guide). Just think of browser sizes, if I have my browser at a normal size, I have to scroll to see a lot of your work.

General feedback to help you when you come out of Uni - try and do some 'commercial pieces' to get into your portfolio. At the moment, I struggle to see where your skills would be applicable in the real world, so consider this! Of course this depends on what area you'd like to go into but regardless, it's worth considering.

Hope this helps

Hey Chris Lord,

Thanks for the feedback. You said "I've seen it done before but better and with more personality." It would be good if you could post links to these other websites, so I can compare and see how I could add more personality to my website.

I wanted to make my website as simple as possible because I am tired of seeing websites full of unnecessary information, text and images.

I'm not sure how to add the functionality that when you click on the image it moves onto the next. This would be a good feature though.

I will edit the line spacing on the About page.

I really don't see the problem about having to scroll to see my work. Every browser size is different and everyone has different screen sizes. I just think it would be impossible making my work fit on the page so you don't have to scroll. I am happy with the size so I don't think I will be changing it.

I am currently working on new commercial pieces of work in my 3rd year of uni.
I would love to do something the involves video games, such as working for a video game magazine such as Nintendo or EDGE magazine and doing the layouts. Or becoming a UI Artist. That is why must of my work is video game based.

Thanks again for your feedback Chris

:)

mrp2049 said:
I'm going to echo to statement about taking your vector art down, its not up to the standard of the rest of your work.

A few strong pieces is far better than a mountain of ****. I've got a massive portfolio of work, if I was building a portfolio site, 20 pieces tops and that is only because I come from a mixed media background and I would want to show my experience as a graphic designer, web developer, editor/film work and photography.

Exit through the gifts shops...Banksy film? Anyone?

The site itself is simiple, no bad thing, but it does look like a very popular wordpress theme. Any guesses anyone?

As I've said before I am working on new pieces of work so hopefully by the end of January next year I can replace my "****" pieces of work such as my vector art with new higher standard pieces of work.

If you have taken the time to watch my short film called "Exit through the gifts shops" you will realise that I was inspired by Bansky's "Exit through the gifts shop" film.

I made the website in Adobe Muse. You should check it out, really helpful and easy to use. Also can you please tell me what the very popular wordpress theme is because I am interested to know.

Thanks

Hay DeanLord,
IMO you should post more before you ask the community to stick your work on the fridge. There is a huge amount of work needed on the code side of it, design way aside, I mean dear lord. Prime example of £100 site, sorry different post.

But if you want proper guidance on how to make that site a success rather than 1 of the normal ones that gets released and then fails, improve and post more first. Even if its just your thoughts on a design. :)

if you are a design you have to show your creativity into your portfolio or website to attract people more..currently it's very simple and i think it's a free theme as well :) so be creative and do something like people stay and see your work

Looks like a default theme you'd get on a portfolio service site. Which isn't a bad thing at all really! I like the simplicity of it. Nice work mate. Might be worth adding a blog or something to add a bit more content to your site for the search engines. It gives people a bit more of an insight into you and/or your business too!

Nice website, nice colour scheme ...i really love it in short .....can you redesign my website ...if yes what will you charge pm me .....

deanlord said:
Hey Everyone,

My name is Dean Lord and I'm a 22 year old Graphic Designer from Exeter, Devon.

I've spent the last couple of days designing and making a new website.
Any feedback/constructive criticism would be great.

http://www.deanlord.co.uk

Thanks

I see your site it is nice but very simple so do more work and make it some attractive which attract the visitors more and more time to stay on your site.

Nice man. I like the simplicity and the contrast in the design. Definitely looks like a standard theme as others have said and you won't be standing out from any crowd with the design but it doesn't fall down in any major areas for a simple one page 'heres what I do' site. Like the hover functionality on the portfolio btw.

Just to list a couple of adjectives people have been using for your site: simple, very simple, theme, default theme, free theme.
It is my opinion that every business(persons) website should, like any piece of marketing material, reflect the values of their company. Is this really how you want people to perceive your business? I know I wouldn't.

Graphic design for me is largely about expressing yourself creatively whilst also trying to communicate information. I appreciate that you're not a website developer, however, if this is your business, your livelihood and your passion then you ought to devote more time and resources to possessing a website that reflects this. Your code is very convoluted, to say the least, perhaps you should consider hiring a proper developer to create your website for you.

As far as effectiveness of your website, with such little content you don't really stand a chance of attracting any level of traffic through the search engines. This is the main pitfall of a simple, one page portfolio site. It's fine if you're only using it to demonstrate your abilities to contacts in the offline world but you'd have to be a pretty well connected person to only need your website to cover that single functionality.

deanlord said:
If you have taken the time to watch my short film called "Exit through the gifts shops" you will realise that I was inspired by Bansky's "Exit through the gifts shop" film

On the back of your advice I watched 'exit through the gift shop' last night.... it was quite simply genius! I recommend everyone go and watch this.

Also, I love your 'mini book' but I would try and get some better photos of it being read/used/opened.

Back